• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Honey B

Honey B

123456

Adam Spicer was sitting on his deck with his morning coffee, watching the sun rise, when a flash like the reflection off of a mirror caught his eye. There shouldn't be anything down there, especially at this time of morning. He unfolded his 6 foot frame out of the rocker recliner and whistled for Teddy, his big Heinz 99 hound. Together they headed down toward where he had seen the flash, near the creek running through his property.

Teddy, as mentioned, is a big mixed breed hound about the size of a German Shepherd but nowhere close to being as good looking as one. His shaggy brown and black coat made him look a lot bigger, and a lot more ferocious than he really is. He went running ahead down the trail without really knowing where they were headed. They were going for a walk, that's all he had to know.

He was off somewhere running around in the bush when Adam saw her; a pretty young girl with a huge camera on a tripod. What he had seen was the flash going off or the sun reflecting off a lens. He watched her for awhile before heading down the bank towards where she had set up her camera. Teddy was off chasing something or other; what a guard dog.

"Uh, miss, you know you're on private property?" Adam asked. She jumped and almost fell into the creek at the sound of his voice. He managed to catch her before that happened. She wasn't as young as he first thought, but was very pretty except for the big bruise on her cheekbone. Who or whatever had hit her, had hit her hard.

"Jeezus Keerist mister. You almost gave me a heart attack," she said when she got over his catching her from falling into the creek and settled on her feet.

"Like I said, you know this is private property?"

"Um, yes. But this is so gorgeous I just had to get a photo. The sun coming up gives just the right angle...Well, I couldn't help myself," she tried to explain. He waited for her to continue, which she did eventually, "I'm a photographer, professional. I take landscapes and others and sell them. Oh, I do all the others like family, wedding, and that, but landscape is my favourite."

"Okay, but you didn't really answer my question. Do you know that you're on private land?"

"Um, yes. I saw the sign when I climbed over the fence and walked down from the road. You can see my car parked way up there," she waved in the general direction of the road into my property where he could just see a white mid-sized car parked on the side of the road.

"So, from that I'm to take it that you can read, right?" She nodded. "And just what does the phrase 'Private, No Trespassing' mean to you?" Adam kept his voice even; not really angry, just a little upset at these people who think that signs don't apply to them.

"Look, I'm sorry. I know I should have got permission from somebody, but I just had to catch the sun at the right moment. It took me longer to find this spot and get set up than I expected. I'll just pack up my gear and leave, okay?"

"If you want. Did you get it?" he asked.

"Get what?"

"The shot, the photo you wanted."

"Oh, I think so. I haven't had a chance to go through them. I'll get going now."

Just then Teddy decided to make his appearance. When you see something that size running out of the bush right at you it does have an adverse affect on you. She did the logical thing and screamed. Teddy flew past them and ran into the creek to splash around, then came back out to shake the water off his thick fur coat all over the only two humans he could find.

"Teddy, damn you. I've told you a hundred times don't do that. Don't you ever listen you mangy mutt?" Adam laughed at him. He was actually a big goofball, though very protective of his property and the people in his pack, if he perceived a threat. Obviously he didn't see the woman as much of a threat. He lay down at Adam's feet and grinned up at him as if to say, "Didn't I do good, huh, Adam?"

Adam owns this particular part of the land they were standing on, and 25 more acres of it. It's not a farm or anything; the land all around the house is the way it's been for years. He only landscaped a minimal amount around the large, ranch style home, more for hosting the odd barbeque or a party. He is a computer consultant designing networks for businesses, as well as other work in information technology. He has an office over in Melville, the nearest thing you could call a large town, but is able to work from home quite a bit of the time. He's not married, and not looking. Several relationships had turned out badly and he really doesn't want to get burned again.

Anyway, Teddy shook all his excess water onto them and, as he started laughing, the woman tried to act outraged and then began laughing as well. "You sure have him trained," she laughed, wiping the water off her face. Then her voice changed to one of alarm, "Ohmigod, the camera!" she quickly went over to where she had it set up and checked it. "No harm done. A few drops on the case, that's all." She was still giggling. "Look, I take it you own this land. I'm Honey, Honey Baker."

"Really, Honey," he asked. She nodded. "I hate to think what you went through in school. I'm Adam. Adam Spicer. So, now that you're all wet from my attack dog, what do you think about a nice hot coffee? The house is just up here," He waved in the general direction of his home.

She paused for a minute, and then said, "Okay, but you'll have to help carry my gear. It took me nearly an hour to get it all down here from the car." She quickly took the large camera lens off the camera and stowed it in a box, followed shortly by the camera body. She folded the heavy tripod and handed it to him, then grabbed the box with the camera and lens, and said, "Okay Adam, lead on. I hope it's not too far."

"Nope, maybe a couple a hundred meters. You can't see it from the road 'cause of the trees." Adam led off, heading up the bank and onto the path, without looking back. Either she could make it or not, not his problem. He got back to the house in a few minutes. She wasn't far behind. Teddy was off on his adventures again. He'd show up for breakfast in awhile.

"How do you take your coffee?" he asked, placing the tripod on the stoop beside the door.

"Black is good, thank you," she placed the case down beside the tripod and looked at the view from the front of the house. "Adam, this is simply gorgeous. I'd love to wake up to this every day. Whoever placed this house here really had an eye for the view."

He handed her a mug of coffee, "Thank you. I took quite awhile to decide on the placement. I wanted to see this every day, as you say."

"You? You did this? You built this home?" there was a bit of wonder in her voice as if building houses was something very un-natural.

"Um, yes. It took a couple of years, and I'm still not done what I want, but to all intents and purposes it's finished. Now, how did you find this spot you wanted for your pictures? It's not like you can see that view from the road."

"No, you're right. I actually started to set up beside the road, then saw that spot near the creek through my binoculars. It looked like it might be perfect but I couldn't wait because the sun was starting to come up. And, truth be told, I didn't know anyone lived out here. I've never seen cars or trucks coming or going in all the times I've driven by. How long have you been here?"

"Going on 5 years. My parents owned the land but never developed it. They used to come up here and camp down near the creek, not too far from where you were. I inherited the land when they passed and decided I'd rather live out here than in town. Long story short, I moved an old trailer out here to live in while I was building. I moved into the house about 3 years ago. My friends and I held a "burn the trailer" party when I moved in. It was old and not worth anything, and had served its purpose." He stopped talking and enjoyed the sounds of the surrounding woods as he gazed toward the distant horizon.

She sat quietly as if she didn't want to disturb the peace and quiet. He looked over and saw that the bruise on her face was actually larger than first thought. He also noticed that she wore a wedding ring. If she was aware of his glance, she gave no sign.

"You know," she said, breaking the silence, "I'd love to have a place like this. It's so peaceful and quiet." She paused long enough to finish her coffee then glanced at her watch. "Oh God, I've got to get going. He'll kill me if his breakfast is late."

"By he, you mean Mr. Honey Baker?" he asked, sure of what the answer would be.

"Yeah, the biggest mistake of my life, but I guess I'm stuck with him," she answered with almost total panic in her voice.

He gestured at the large bruise, "His handiwork?"

"Yeah, he didn't like something or other the other night. Usually it doesn't show. Look, Adam, could you take me up to my car? I can't be late." She was almost crying. He picked up the tripod and camera box and led her over to his truck; he had her at her car up on the road in just a couple of minutes.

"Adam, thank you. Really. I know I shouldn't have trespassed..."

"Honey, don't worry about it. Look, if you want to take photos up here just call and ask." He gave her a business card and wrote his home phone number on the back. "I often work from home, but if there's no answer try my office."

"Thank you, Adam. For everything. I have to get going." She drove off in a cloud of dust toward town.

There are few things Adam really, really hates in this world; liars, cheats, and wife beaters top the list. Just hearing about being used as a human punching bag made him want to help her. The fact that she was easy on the eyes didn't hurt. She wasn't very tall, maybe 5'3" and 115 lbs soaking wet. Without the bruise, she had very pleasant features, not super model or anything, but quite pretty. He really couldn't see much of her figure since she was all bundled up in a jacket and jeans, but suspected that he would find that it fit the whole package.

He returned to the house and fired up his computer, grabbing a coffee while it booted. He logged on and saw that there were a few things take care of for clients. That only took about an hour, and then he decided to find out what he could about Honey Baker.

It turns out that, while not world renowned, she was quite well known locally for her work, especially landscapes, as she had said. She had had several shows in the Vancouver area and had lived there until recently. She and her husband had moved to Melville, allegedly for him to pursue career opportunities. "Yeah, I'm the Queen of England too," he thought. Usually that means he was caught with the bosses wife or something. Maybe it had something to do with his abuse of his wife. He continued looking into Mr. John Baker, and the more he found, the less he liked.

Chapter 2

Honey Baker raced into town from where Adam had dropped her off at her car. She knew that the smallest thing would set John off and she'd get beaten again. She trembled as she pulled into the driveway of the neat, two story house and raced inside. Phew, he wasn't up. She rushed to start the coffee and began preparing his breakfast. As she worked, she thought about the man she had just met. I bet he doesn't get off on beating women. Seems like a nice guy. Why isn't he married?

Various thoughts ran through her head as she finished getting breakfast ready for her husband. She knew he was up from the sound of the toilet then shower.

John Baker was a creature of habit. He expected, no, demanded, that his meals be prepared exactly on time, that the house be cleaned and maintained in a certain way, and that the yard be the best in the neighbourhood. Honey was glad that at least he contracted the yard work; she didn't think she'd be able to handle that as well as the housework. Baker sat at the dining table at exactly 7:45, as he did every morning. Honey served his coffee, then juice, then breakfast. Always in that order, without variation. He finished his breakfast and grunted something that was supposed to mean good bye or breakfast was good, or something. She long ago gave up trying to figure it out. As long as he was gone and left her in peace.

She cleaned up the dishes and the kitchen then went upstairs to change and start her day. The bruise on her face would fade in a day or so, but she was worried about the pain in her side where he had punched her in the ribs. She was afraid that something might be broken, but was afraid to go to the family doctor, who just happened to be a friend of John Baker. Funny, she couldn't remember it hurting like this when she was out getting photos this morning. Maybe carrying all that equipment down from the car aggravated whatever injury she suffered. She managed to get dressed and drove into town to pick up some groceries and run a few errands.

She noticed the sign for A. Spicer Computer Consultants on an office window above the supermarket. I wonder if that's the Adam I ran into this morning? Must be, there can't be two computer consultants with that name in this town. She parked her car and looked at the card he had given her. Yes, that was his office.

She finished running her errands and returned home to the same routine that Baker had literally beaten into her. She didn't know why she stayed with him, but didn't know what to do if she left. She wasn't aware of it, but it was the typical battered housewife syndrome, and there was help available. She just didn't know how to find it. Her biggest problem, at least in Melville, was that she didn't really know anyone. By nature, she was quite quiet and shy; therefore didn't easily socialize. Her husband never took her to any corporate functions, always saying that she was ill, or indisposed, or some other weak excuse. Usually it meant that for some perceived misconduct he had beaten her again and the bruises couldn't be covered by clothing or makeup.

* * * *

Adam finished his research into Honey and John Baker just around lunch. He really didn't like what he had found out about John Baker. Other than being a wife-beater, it looked very much like he might be a liar, cheat and thief. As far as Adam was concerned, that was enough justification to look deeper into his affairs, business and otherwise. Years of work in the computer industry would allow him to do just that.

He fixed some lunch and fed Teddy, who promptly went to sleep on the deck in the sunshine. If what he initially suspected of Baker was true, then he had just moved the headquarters for his Ponzi Scheme from Vancouver to Melville. He sat quietly, mapping out in his head how he would uncover the scheme. He had to be careful; his research had shown that Baker had friends, and victims, in high places. He couldn't just barge through the front door and start hurling accusations.

He also thought about Honey Baker. While he had learned a great deal about her professional life, he could find no real details about her personal life, other than she was married to John Baker. He had no reason to think, nor did he believe, that she knew of her husband's business practises. The look in her eyes as she had sped off this morning was absolute fear, if not terror. Baker wouldn't be the type to involve his wife, or even all the women he flaunted during his numerous affairs, in his business dealings.

Adam checked again, and saw that there was contact information for Honey Baker on her website, HBImaging. He thought about contacting her and telling her she could not only leave Baker, but should, and soon. He added her email to his contacts, but didn't message her right away.

About this time, Honey Baker was cleaning up after having prepared lunch for her husband. He seemed somewhat distracted, though she would never ask, and really didn't care, why. She returned to her computer and set about editing the photos she had taken that morning. She was certain that her husband hadn't known she had even left the house, let alone out driving the back roads in the early morning. More probably, he didn't really care as long as his routine wasn't interrupted. They hadn't shared a bed for years, and hadn't had sex in nearly as long. She long ago understood that she and John had never made love; it just wasn't in his nature to love anyone or anything other than himself. Thank God they didn't have any kids.

She wasn't feeling too well, but remembered that she had to pick up some dry cleaning for John. He would be home after work to change, then would be going to some function or other. She didn't care as long as he didn't try to drag her along; but she knew that wouldn't happen, at least tonight. The bruise on her cheek was too noticeable. She drove into town again and parked almost in the same spot she'd occupied in the morning. The cleaners were in the same complex as the supermarket and several other businesses.

She was just approaching the entry to the cleaners when she passed out. Adam had just arrived in the parking lot and was parking in his reserved spot as he saw the woman collapse to the ground. He had no idea who it was as he ran over to her while punching 911 into his cell. He and another passerby arrived almost at the same time. Adam quickly pulled off his jacket and bunched it into a pillow before placing it under her head. The other man took off his overcoat and placed it over her. It was then that Adam realized who the woman was.

The ambulance arrived quickly, and soon Honey was on the way to the hospital. Adam figured he'd have an hour or two before he could see her, so continued into his office and did what he needed to do. His thoughts were never far from the young woman.

He looked up John Baker's business phone and left a message with his secretary that his wife had collapsed and had been taken to hospital. The secretary sounded uninterested, but promised to pass the message on as soon as Baker was free. Adam drove to the hospital and found out from a nurse that Honey had been admitted with severe bruising and a couple of broke ribs. She would undergo further tests to see if the ribs had caused further problems. They originally weren't going to give him any information until he advised them that it was he who had called the ambulance, and that if she, the nurse, wouldn't tell him, he would get the information from his friend who happened to be the administrator.

He was soon standing in the doorway of a private room, looking to see if she was awake. She was.

"How are you feeling?" he asked quietly.

"Sore all over. What happened? Why are you here?" she sounded weak, confused.

"I saw you collapse on the sidewalk and called for an ambulance. That's all I know. They brought you here. The nurse says you have some severe bruising and a couple of broke ribs. Your husband?"

She nodded without saying anything, tears welling and rolling down her face. "God, he'll kill me. He wants his suit for tonight."

"Well, you aren't going anywhere. Can I get it for you? Just tell me where to deliver it."

She profusely thanked him and gave him an address in the business district. Adam didn't let on that he already knew that, as well as their home address.

"No worries. I'll get the suit and drop it off. I already phoned his office to let him know you're in the hospital."

"Oh my God, oh my God. He'll kill me for sure. He said if I ever went to a hospital..."

"Look, don't worry about it for now. You didn't go to the hospital; you were brought here after you collapsed on the sidewalk. There are at least 2 of us who saw what happened. I'll straighten it out for you."

"God, he'll come in and drag me out of here," she was almost hysterical. Adam pushed the call button for the attending nurse.

"Look, she's scared that her husband will come and drag her out of here. Is there anything you can do?"

"I don't know. Are you...?"

"No, we're not related. I'm the one who found her on the sidewalk when she passed out."

123456
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Honey B

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds