• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • Error Reduction

Error Reduction

1234

Many thanks to Linda62953 for first editing and improving this story.

Immense gratitude to BeautifulStorm, the hardest working editor on this site, who not only applies incredible editing expertise but also tremendous effort in following through to make sure the story turns out much better than I ever thought it could be.

"I'm really sorry, Janet. I have no excuse. My mind must have wandered for a moment."

"Don't worry about it, Edgar. Luckily, someone caught it before it cost the company any money. I'm not putting anything into your personal file."

"Thanks. I know you're supposed to report it. If no one had caught it, I would have been glad to reimburse the fifty dollars."

"A lot of employees, including me, don't like the company's strong focus on avoiding mistakes," she said. "We wonder why errors costing as little as one cent must be reported. But we work here because they pay us well and we like most of the company culture.

"Nobody objects to the policy that all of us go by our first names. I've never heard anyone complain that we can wear casual clothes to work and don't clock in and out. As long as we are productive, nobody checks on what we're doing minute to minute.

"The rules seem to be working because we've all been getting substantial profit sharing. Why should we rock the boat? Do you see it that way, too?"

"You've summed it up perfectly," Edgar said. "You've made me curious about my file. Are you allowed to tell me anything?"

"I have it here on the screen, because I wanted to look at it before this meeting. It shows what we both know. You are an excellent employee, and your errors are at an acceptable level."

"Do I have a lot of error reports in there?"

"Yes, but you've been here a long time. When I crunch them, it looks like you're in the top fifteen per cent in error avoidance compared to other employees. That's excellent."

"Do the error reports affect my chances of moving up?"

"Only as part of your performance as a whole, which is also excellent. As you know, because of current market conditions, we are all stuck where we are for a while. However, once the economy improves, we'll begin expanding again, and that will mean promotions.

"When that happens, the bosses examine everything, including error reduction. If you could drop your errors so you're in the top ten per cent, it would certainly help your chances, because everything else in your file sparkles.

"There's another reason I called you in, Edgar. As you know, I just came back from a three-day retreat with other division managers. I attended lectures and workshops conducted by a consulting company with an amazing track record for reducing human error in the workplace.

"I'm going to be implementing some of the things I learned. I have the feeling that they're going to have dramatic results for us. You, in particular, should benefit, because one of the strategies is especially effective for employees who are sensitive to how others perceive them.

"I looked at your psychological profile and tests from when you were hired. They confirmed what I already know. Maintaining your image seems to be almost an obsession with you. I guess I'd have to ask Cynthia to know for sure."

"She'd probably tell you it's the highest," he said. "She's told me often enough. Is that one of the things holding me back?"

"Quite the opposite. It motivates you to excel, and I'm sure Cynthia appreciates how well you're doing."

"Yes, she does," he said. "She says she is happy that I'm always trying to do my best for our family, but she complains that I sometimes take it to extremes. She's told me my need to be a shining role model is exhausting for her and the kids.

"She also said some of our friends resent my attitude. Once she said she wished that sometimes she could look straight at me or even down on me instead of always looking up. She said it would make me more human and less exasperating."

"I'm not interested in changing anything about your personality and drive to excel," said Janet. "I was only saying this need of yours fits perfectly into one of the new disciplinary strategies.

"The consultants explained that verbal discipline and putting a report in the personal file uses fear to motivate improvement. But they said that for many employees, particularly men, there is an even stronger motivator, and that is humiliation.

"Actually, it's a variation of fear. Instead of being afraid of losing his job, the employee is afraid of being embarrassed. A good manager will find out what kind of humiliation the employee fears the most and use that for the benefit of the company -- and, of course, the employee, too, because when the employee does better, that leads to promotions. Sensitive employees, like you, respond the best.

"In any case, all of this is in the future. It has nothing to do with the error we're talking about today. That's already disposed of. So I'm just letting you know that the next time you make a mistake that costs the company money, I will humiliate you after I reprimand you."

"What?" he said in a frightened voice. "Isn't that against the law?"

"You're right," she said. "If I did it against your will, you could sue me for harassment and get a lot of money. I learned all the legalities at the seminar. You'll be signing some forms that give your consent to the new policy.

"What if I don't?"

His eyes were wide, and his voice sounded almost hysterical.

"I'm sorry," she said. "I'm not doing this right. It's my first time, and that's why this conversation is being recorded. I'll be going over it with the consultants to learn how to do it better next time. In addition, you'll get a copy of the recording when we're finished here, and if you want, you can take it to a lawyer.

"You're right, Edgar. You are not going to sign anything under duress. I'm just so enthusiastic about this, and I know how hard you're working to move up. Most people would envy your success, but you aren't satisfied. You want to do even better, and that's why I'm so sure you'll see the benefits of this new policy.

"But I need to explain it better, because I realize now that the consultants were right. They said until an employee understands the benefits, the policy may scare him or her.

"I learned that one of the best ways to explain it is to imagine a worst-case scenario. Let's say you are completely opposed to the new policy.

"If that's the case, I am not allowed to change my attitude toward you in any way. Our work relationship will continue exactly the same. I will treat you as I have always treated you. I would do that anyway, because you are a valuable employee and it's not worth losing you over your fear of this new disciplinary policy.

"If you could show that anything has changed in our relationship after today, such as me sidetracking you or taking an interest in advancing other employees over you, you would be able to sue the company for a lot of money. When you play this part for your lawyer, he or she may start salivating.

"So in this worst-case scenario, everything would be as it is now, including the discipline. When you make one of your rare mistakes, I would call you in and reprimand you just like I did today. The only thing different would be that I'd have to be more careful because you and your lawyer would get a tape of all future conversations we have in private. I would record each disciplinary interview and give you a copy.

"If your mistake costs the company money, I'd put a report in your file just like I always do. The only difference will be that I will be extra careful in what I write, and the personnel manager will probably go over it. It seems like a lot of trouble, but it's because of the lawyers.

"The biggest difference will be when you are being considered for promotion. I will have to excuse myself from the committee that considers you. Because of our meeting today, the personnel department would be worried that something I say might be used against the company in court.

"So I won't be at the meeting where they discuss your weaknesses and strengths. Others that you work with will be consulted in place of me."

"But you know me better than all of them," he said. "I always considered you a mentor and counted on you to stand up for me."

"I can't respond to that statement, Edgar," she said, "because I might say something by accident that could be interpreted as putting pressure on you. All I can say is that you've worked with many people here through the years, and the company will seek their input."

"We both know that some of them resent our close working relationship," he said. "They might even want to sabotage me."

"If you're being considered for a promotion, I will have you give me a list of anyone who might try to do that, and I'll make sure that the personnel department will not talk to them when putting together its report."

"Making a list like that wouldn't look good to the committee," he protested.

"Edgar, I can't do everything," she said. "What if the head of personnel interviewed me about you, and I said that I thought you were a great candidate, and she asked me if you ever disappointed me in any way, and I said that I was sorry that you hadn't signed on to the new employee error program. That would look worse."

"You'd never do that to me," said Edgar.

"But Employee Relations doesn't know I don't hold grudges. They have to treat me the same as any other manager and make sure there's no chance I say something that could bring on a lawsuit. That's why I wouldn't be involved. But you don't have to worry Edgar. Your record speaks for itself."

"Other candidates will have their bosses advocating for them," he said.

"All right, Edgar, that's on the recording now, too. We're starting to go around in circles."

"I don't want anyone to hear this tape."

"I don't either. The agreement with the consultants makes it privileged. They can use it to coach me on doing better, but then they must destroy it. They can't play it for anyone at the company, or I can sue their asses off. So don't worry. The only copy will be the one I give you for your lawyer."

"I don't want a lawyer to hear it either."

"That's up to you, Edgar. Let's move on. I think I've done the best I can for now with the worst-case scenario.

"After we finish here, nothing is going to change. When and if you make a mistake that costs the company money, you will be receiving forms to sign off on the new rules.

"I won't schedule any meeting for an official reprimand until a week after you get the forms, so you'll have time to consult a lawyer if you want to. At our meeting, you can choose not to sign them, and we'll move forward in the way I've just explained. Or you may decide to sign them and be part of the new program."

***********

Janet didn't mention anything about the new policy again. Eight department managers reported to her, and a couple of months later, he heard that two of them had been disciplined and agreed to the new policy.

For a while, the two were a clique, saying things to each other that no one else understood and laughing at private jokes. Then, one by one, the others joined the club. Edgar was sure that one woman made a mistake on purpose because she was dying of curiosity. He wondered if Janet had computed that into her error reduction program.

*************

Cynthia was the reason for his first costly error four months later. When they got home after dinner and a play, she asked him why he had acted angry the whole evening. He apologized and said he was wasn't angry at her but at himself.

Nevertheless, it was her fault that he had rushed to get home. Last time they had gone out on a Friday night, he had been delayed at the office, so they had had to wolf down dinner to get to a concert on time, She didn't let him hear the end of it for the whole weekend.

That's why he had rushed through something at work earlier and made an error that cost the company money. It was hardly anything. He would have paid ten times the amount to get rid of the awful feeling in the pit of his stomach all weekend.

On Tuesday, Janet stopped by his desk, dropped off a two-page form and said, "I'll see you next Tuesday in my office at ten a.m."

After she walked away, he quickly stuck the form in his desk and looked around. He didn't think anyone saw him. He met with Janet a couple of times during the week, but she didn't say anything about Tuesday.

He wondered if she could tell that the form was eating him up inside. He was afraid to look at it and felt like it was attacking him from within the drawer, emitting rays that caused nausea and stomach cramps.

On Monday, he finally dug out the form and looked at it. He read it over four times and still didn't understand it. It wasn't signed when he walked into her office the next day holding it in his hand.

"Please close the door, bring me the form and have a seat," Janet said calmly.

"I see you haven't signed it," she said. "Do you want to talk about it or have you decided against the new error reduction program? I'm fine with either choice. By the way, our conversation is being recorded."

"It doesn't say anything," he said.

"It says that you agree to be humiliated by me in any way I chose," she said.

"That covers a lot of territory," he said. "You could destroy me."

"Do you think I'd do that?"

"No. I trust you. You don't need to put it in writing, but if you promise me that you won't do anything to, to, to—."

"To humiliate you, Edgar? To mortify you? To degrade you? To embarrass you? To shame you? To give you nightmares when you remember what I did to you. I promise you that's what I WILL do if you sign the form. That's how this program works."

"You didn't do that to the other department heads. They laugh and joke about it. Why is it different for me?"

"Because you are different from them, Edgar. They have no shame. They have done many disgusting things in their lives, and they don't have a high opinion of themselves.

"Even so, they didn't laugh and joke when I humiliated them in this office, and they know I'm going to keep working until I find something effective. Everybody is afraid of something that would make them die of embarrassment. I'll eventually find out what it is for each of them.

"You're sensitive and have strong ideas of modesty and decency. Those are all good traits. They make it much easier to humiliate you."

"Will you hurt me?"

"Yes, but now you're just wasting time. I'm certain you're not afraid of a little pain."

"Do you really think it will be good for me if I sign?"

"The answer is yes, Edgar. That's my honest opinion. But I have to add something to that because of the lawyers. What I think doesn't matter. This is only an experiment, and there are no guarantees. The form says that if this turns out to have negative repercussions that are unanticipated, you don't hold the company responsible."

Edgar looked down at the carpet. He couldn't think of anything else to ask. He was shaking. Then he felt something on his shoulder. He looked up. It was Janet. She had gotten up and come around her desk and was standing next to him. She was smiling at him, with a finger straight up in front of her lips telling him to keep quiet. She motioned for him to stand up.

He stood up. She took his hand in hers. It felt warm and comforting. She led him over to the conference table and motioned for him to sit down. When he did, she sat down next to him and put the form in front of him. It had been in her other hand. She took a pen and pointed to where he should sign and then gave him the pen and put her finger up to her lips again to remind him not to say anything.

For some reason, he didn't hesitate and signed right away. She quickly pulled the form away and pushed it out of reach at the other side of the conference table. She took each of his hands in one of hers and put them on the table while she smiled at him.

"Thank you, Edgar," she said. "Now that you've signed, I can tell you something that I wasn't allowed to reveal unless you agreed to the program. If I had told you earlier, it could have been considered a bribe. The consulting company told us about several options that we could choose from, and I chose this one. Each time I need to discipline and humiliate you, not only will I not put a report of your error in your personnel file, I will also remove and destroy a previous report, the most recent one.

"I'm not worried that you will take advantage of this, because your entire body language since you walked in the office tells me you will do your utmost to prevent errors and avoid the consequences. But I wanted you to know that when you have to come in here and be humiliated, there will be that an additional benefit. Since there will be one less report each time, your error percentage can only go down, not up.

"Now I'm pressing this switch to turn off the recorder, because I also have the option of keeping your humiliation completely secret, from both Human Resources and the consultants. No one is going to know what you're going to do right now."

She stood up and let go of one of his hands. She tugged at him with the other until he was standing and then led him over to her large couch where she stood next to him, facing it.

"I want you to stand right here in front of the couch and face the wall," she said. "I'm going to sit down here, next to you and look straight ahead. There. I'm ready. Now unbuckle your belt, unzip your pants, and let them drop to the floor. You don't have to look down if you don't want to. I'm waiting."

Edgar began trembling, but he didn't move. He stood at attention facing the wall with his hands tight to his sides. He felt her take the hand next to her, his left hand, in her right hand, and then her left hand was on it, gently stroking it.

"You can do this, Edgar," she said softly as she continued to stroke him. He stopped trembling, and she let go of his hand.

"Drop your pants now, Edgar," she said. Her voice was stern now, as if he were a little child, and she was his mommy and wasn't going to brook any nonsense from him. He obeyed.

"Now, take off your boxers," she said.

He began trembling even harder as he removed them, but when he stood straight facing the wall again, he was still. His shirttails were hanging over his genitals.

"Lift up your shirt and gather it above your waist," she said. It took him a few seconds before he took a deep breath and lifted his shirt up.

"Now look down."

When he did, he saw her sitting on the couch staring straight ahead, not at his genitals.

"You know what to do now, Edgar," she said. "Give me your hands, and I'll help you."

She was still staring straight ahead.

He reached down to her hands and let her slowly pull him down until he was lying across her lap. He twisted his head and looked at her. She was no longer looking straight ahead. She was looking down at his naked butt and smiling. In her hand was a wooden paddle. He turned his head to look at the floor. He was feeling nauseous.

"Adjust yourself so you are as comfortable as possible," she said. He didn't move.

"Don't!" she said. The paddle came down violently on his butt, and he screamed as it made contact. She was using all her strength, he thought. She paused for a second and then said another word as she ripped into his ass and he screamed again. She continued speaking and spanking.

"You. Ever. Do. That. Again. Edgar. Do. You. Hear?"

After the last word and the last swat, she stopped. Her breathing was labored. She had put so much effort into her swats that she was out of breath. He looked around and saw she was still staring at his buttocks. He was crying but trying not to make a sound.

After a while, she said quietly, "Get up and get dressed, Edgar. You can leave whenever you want to."

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • Error Reduction

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds