• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • My Hidden Talent

My Hidden Talent

All my life I've searched for that one thing I'm good at and then to launch my career using that hidden talent. I definitely have been a 'Jack of all trades and master of none' my whole life. My father always told me that practice makes perfect and I believed him, it was just I searched for a natural talent of some kind and when I found it then I always thought I would practice it until I had honed it to the edge of perfection. I played one sport after another and many I played fairly but I excelled in none. In school I tried music, I tried debate club, chess club, even math club all with sub par results.

Further enforcing my mediocrity was a laziness that bordered on fanaticism. The one thing I was good at was doing nothing; I excelled at the art of hanging out. Whether it was the street corner, the park or the bowling alley what I liked to do was just kick back with my friends and shoot the shit. Even at the park, we might bring a ball and glove to play catch but before long, we were just sitting around talking.

As I got older, the parks and street corners became bars and pool halls. I didn't go to drink or play pool I went to see the guys and shoot the breeze. I eventually met a girl we got married and even had a couple of kids. I went to work in an entry-level position but without the drive to seek advancement I stayed at a meager salary.

After work, I seldom went home to my wife but instead went and hung out with my friends. It doesn't take much to see that with me not making much money and by seldom being home my marriage fell apart and after seven years we divorced. I continued to work as I had child support to pay now and then through a friend I got a union job. The union job was perfect for an underachiever like me for as long as you pay your dues and show up everything goes along fine.

It was around this time in my life that I discovered marijuana and it was finally something at which I could excel it's just too bad I couldn't find anyone to pay me to do it. It was as if my whole life I had been practicing for pot smoking only now as we hung out we passed a joint around. When I met my second wife, it was perfect, as she liked doing the same things as I, meaning nothing. Now instead of me not coming home after work so I could hang out I now went home to hang with friends. I have to say if there is anything an underachiever can excel in it has to be sitting around getting high.

This was my life for twenty years, go to work come home get high and then to work again the next day. Then just like that, the company I worked for went under and I was out of a job. I did get a new job but now they did drug tests and rather than take the chance of being caught I just quit getting high. I will say that once I stopped smoking pot I put more effort into work and ended up with a promotion at a higher salary.

After another twenty years at this new job, I reached retirement age and am now retired. Who would imagine that it would take me sixty-five years to find the one thing I can do well. What can I say; retirement fits me like a tailored suit. I can't believe how many people ask me what am I going to do now that I'm retired. They say I have to find a hobby or some even recommend me getting a part time job. I usually tell them that I've been training my whole life for this and now I'm going to excel like nothing I've done before. I am always telling friends that I now been retired for two years and I don't know how I had time to work when I wasn't retired.

It's hard to say where my days go, it is so strange to look up and it bed time, I'm just glad I don't have to keep a time sheet to track what I have done. I spend a lot of time on the computer and lately I've done a lot of writing, bad writing as my many critics will attest. At first, the slams bothered me but now I realize no one pleases everybody least of all me. So now, I try to write something I can live with and if someone out there can enjoy it also I'm a happy camper.

For all of you out there wondering what their future will be like I say live for today do what you enjoy and when you find that hidden talent of yours use it for all it's worth. As for you who say my life has been a waste, you are probably right but it is a life I have enjoyed and how many people can honestly claim that.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • My Hidden Talent

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 197 milliseconds