• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • An Older Unmarried Daughter

An Older Unmarried Daughter

123

INTRODUCTION

A mother feels her duty is never done until the kids are all married off to lovely partners and her husband appreciates her work is done and decides to buy a smaller and more upmarket house. Well in some families have the financial means to achieve such cozy outcomes.

Minnie Maple was one such woman. Her son and two of her daughters had been married off well and the first grandchild was on the way.

A mother's duty is never done, sniffed Minnie, wondering about looking after grandchildren from changing diapers to them borrowing her car to go to post-college reunions. She sighed and her shoulders slumped but only temporarily.

With the new house almost ready for occupancy, Minnie had one persisting problem. Elder daughter Maggie, aged thirty-four, was still single.

"Maggie darling, are you really sure you're not the marrying kind?"

Maggie sighed as if hearing an old record on permanent replay. "Mother you know I'm just waiting for Mr Right."

And these days there endeth that conversation because Maggie would walk away, knowing the replay of the exchange that had happened so often would replay unchanged and progress no further than being primed for the next replay. For Maggie it was tedious, mind-blowing inconclusive muck-raking.

Could she be any clearer than that?

Maggie was no virgin. Nor did she always turn down dates arranged by her mom scheming with her cronies even if the guys looked totally unacceptable in every way although even Maggie herself had no clear idea what she liked or detested about males. It seemed none could ring her bell.

Surely all men couldn't be that bad?

All of Maggie's friends bar two were married and those two were being divorced and were scrambling to lock into another guy, silly cows. They'd rush in to claim the most promising prospect, knowing they'd be few, and would be eyeing the size of dicks while ignoring the size of the guy's brain.

"Women," Maggie sighed.

Then one day the always popular Maggie, manager of HR for a bank, was transferred to the head office in New York and so it was goodbye mom and dad. She leased a lovely but small one-bedroom apartment in Midtown East.

CHAPTER 1

The young guy said aggressively, "What's wrong with my application?"

Maggie replied, "From what I can see it is immaculate and a great credit to you."

The guy relaxed and grinned.

"The problem I have is lies with this security report in connection with your alleged involvement in an unsuccessful hijack attempt of an Armored Bank Delivery vehicle."

"I was framed and I was not prosecuted. You can't hold that against me."

"Oh but I do Mr Cosgrove. You did not face the court on the grounds of insufficient evidence. Nothing in this report says a word about the claims being false and you have been exonerated."

"You bitch. I'll push your smiling face back behind your ears."

Maggie pressed a button under the lip of her desk. A glass security screen shot up and bank security guards were automatically called. She pulled open her right-hand drawer and gripped the can of pepper spray in case the guy came at her round the screen but it wasn't required. The door burst opened and two hitherto bored security guards raced in with bared teeth and wielding sawn-off shotguns. One whacked the guy over the head and he fell.

"Jail or castration?" called one of the guards as Maggie lowered her screen.

"Dump him out on the rear land and invite him never to return," Maggie said, looking to see what her next appointment was. She yawned. "Please don't beat him and that's an order."

"Yes ma'am."

They all assumed she was married. Maggie sighed and went to the president's office to meet a bank client. When VIPs came to town and they asked for an attractive woman to accompany them to dinner the president often called Maggie. It was assumed but never stated a single woman like Maggie had to get her sex from somewhere.

Maggie thought the system worked perfectly. She could just have dinner and go home alone in a cab or if the guy looked okay and she was in the mood she might decide to go with the guy to his hotel.

All corporations with quality female staff provide such a service for their VIPs and give those females a clothing allowance. Some females are bi but Maggie was male-only.

President Guy Rowland provided the usual lie. "Maggie I know it's your usual night to go to Angelo's Restaurant tonight. This is Gerald Hart from Boston. Mr Hart asked me to recommend a good restaurant and I thought of Angelo's and that you would be going there."

"Oh hi Mr Hart. I would be delighted if you would accompany me. I really don't think any of us like fine dining eating alone."

"That is very kind of your Mrs Maple."

"Miss Maple. I've never married."

"Oh please excuse me. Actually Guy did say Miss Maple."

"You just wished to be sure Mr Hart. That is perfectly understandable. I shall be seated at Angelo's at 8:00 so don't arrive before then. It is better that you join me in case media cameramen are on the prowl. If the meeting occurred the other way round they might believe it was an opportunist meeting and therefore hint of scandal. A photo of you and me in your local newspaper could cause embarrassment for you."

"I rather think the women round my age back home would click their teeth and say, "God look at the incredible beauty the old coot Gerald Hart has landed."

"Oh Mr Hart, you are too kind," said the green-eyed brunette with awesome hair and great natural skin tones. "Until 8:10 of thereafter... don't worry if you decide on a no-show."

"Miss Maple, I shall be with you at 8:10."

Maggie walked out knowing her butt and the back of her legs would be under inspection. Angelo's was very expensive so she preferred someone paying for her wine and food. Guys always seemed to accept that line she should be seated first. If the paparazzi sniffed the hint of scandal they pounced, no matter what time anyone sat in that famous restaurant, who sat looking familiar or guilty and who he or she sat with. The assurance behind her fictitious protocol gave men the sense of danger they seemed to like lurking. She enjoyed doing it. Really men were such babies.

At that stage Maggie was unaware, as was the bank president, Gerald Hart was on the prowl to replace the wife he'd recently severed from expensively.

* * *

With Maggie on her back, her beautiful stocking legs spread almost at right angles, Guy couldn't believe the attractiveness of the pussy that glistened, facing him. Until now he'd never thought pussies looked good, for obvious seasons. But he tugged and whacked his dick without success.

"I'm sorry baby, I can't get it up. I think it's associated with the stress that bitch gave me in divorcing her."

"Don't worry about it; I understand," Maggie cooed. "Come on to the bed and finger me into release. That will give you some satisfaction won't it?"

"Hell yeah. God you have a magnificent body."

When Maggie was leaving Gerald tried to thrust a bunch of one hundred buck bills into her hand.

"No thank you Gerald. That is very kind. This is just a VIP service from the bank. If I were to accept money I would feel I was a slut. The bank provides me with a generous clothing allowance and I get to meet some great people, such as yourself."

"I'll never forget you Maggie."

Maggie smiled. They all said that didn't they, like the replay of a CD?

Gerald called her twice, sometimes three times during the next four weeks. They talked generally but each time when saying goodbye he always finished the same way: "I hope this strengthens our relationship."

On the Wednesday of the fifth week Maggie accepted a courier package addressed to her from Gerald. It contained a ring and letter, "Please come this weekend to my 56th birthday on Saturday night. Wear this ring if you consider yourself engaged to me or hand it back when you arrive."

The package also contained notice of airline booking for her on Saturday morning, returning Sunday morning, and accommodation at The Westin Copley Place.

Maggie's jeweler valued the ring at $40,000. That surprised her. She was going through a flat spot socially so decided to go, remaining undecided about the ring although she took it with her.

After settling in at the hotel Maggie called Gerald and he greeted her with delight and said come on out to lunch; he'd send his car for her.

Maggie arrived and Gerald was already waiting for the white Mercedes to pull up.

"Hi darling," he enthused and lifted up her left hand but Maggie said she had yet to decide to accept the ring. "It depends how today goes."

"Judge me by my friends rather than my family," he said hastily. "My two daughters have some conflicts about you."

"Well I never thought this venture of yours sounded like plain sailing."

"Damn right. Let's see how we go."

The ice could be felt as the two daughters watched Maggie walk out beside the pool, arm in arm with Gerald.

"Here she is girls," Gerald said proudly.

He'd already indicated Rose at thirty-five and with two children was only a year older than the woman being touted as her stepmother while Pru, who was very pregnant, was seven years younger than Maggie.

"I'll leave you ladies to chat," Gerald said, scuttling away.

Rose said coolly, "What the hell are you doing with our father?"

"Trying to be as pleasant as possible to make him happy."

"Maggie he was happy before he met you."

"That's a lie Rose and you know it. He was unhappy before he met me and I'd suggest he's not far removed from that status despite his bravado. I trust you don't blame me for the loss of your mother."

"Of course we don't," Pru said. "That marriage was over before we heard mention of your name."

"So you resent me coming to your father's birthday party?"

Rose scowled, "He intends proposing to you tonight."

"And do you expect me to accept Rose?"

"Yes you gold-digger."

"Name calling like that is naughty Rose. You ought to know better than that and to save you wasting time and energy I should tell you I don't scare easy."

"Wait till our brother gets here."

Maggie was surprised at that.

"Ah he's not told you about his heir. Dirk is CEO of daddy's group of companies."

"I can't understand why your father would mention two daughters and not that he had a son."

"Because daddy feels he can manipulate Pru and me but Dirk is tough and speaks his mind."

"I still don't see the problem?"

Rose sighed. "The family knows daddy is having erectile problems. Pru and I think it's a laugh daddy taking up with a much younger woman when he knows he has that problem that is frustrating him. Dirk will tell him straight not to be such a stupid fool. We only heard about you two nights ago. Dirk is on his way home from Dallas."

"Did you know daddy had an erectile problem?"

"I'm not prepared to discuss such a matter Pru, even with Gerald's children."

"Then leave."

"No Pru, as with any other guest I have been invited to your father's birthday party. What does one do to get a drink around here."

"White wine?"

"Thank you Pru."

"You stay and rest Pru," said her fiery red-hair sister. "I'll get drinks and juice for you and tell daddy to come out of his cave, that his girlfriend is too smart for you and me and there's no blood on the floor."

* * *

The party was in full wing when Maggie returned to the house four hours later. She saw a guy in a white suit and black open-neck shirt assessing her a couple of times and assumed it was the brother.

When Gerald had left her side to talk to three guys swapping jokes Maggie went up to the white-suit guy who was getting another whisky from the bar.

"Dirk Hart I presume?"

He turned in surprise and then scowled, "You have a cheek."

"What daring to use your name?"

He stared at her without displaying emotion. "Rose said you are a tough bitch."

"Are you sure Rose said bitch?"

"Jesus. Who are you? I ought to throw you off the property."

"Cool it Dirk. I would expect this is your father's property and he invited me here."

"None of the family want dad to marry such a young woman. His health could be failing."

"Ah, reasons at last. Thank you. All I received from your sisters was hostility."

"Can you blame them?"

"It was pathetic. In fact the whole damn lot of you are pathetic. I came here today, at your father's invitation, to meet his family and share in his birthday before making my mind up about accepting his proposal. I now sense that he wants me at his side just to show off like a trophy and you three adult children appear bordering on the edge of being called dysfunctional."

Dirk scowled.

Maggie opened her handbag and pulled out the velvet box and handed it across.

"Is the ring there?" she demanded.

He looked and said, "Yes it's here."

"Please hand it back to your father. Tell him I thank him for his kindness but this arrangement and the hostility of his children is not for me and not to bother attempting to change my mind. Goodbye."

"You are going now?"

"Yes."

"Good riddance."

"What a fucking gentleman you are not Dirk, or should I say Black Dirk?"

Maggie only had to wait two minutes before a cab arrived bringing people in. She rode out in it, probably being the first guest to leave.

Three months later the bank president mentioned to Maggie that one of her former hosting clients, Gerald Hart was about to remarry. Not unexpectedly no wedding invitation arrived for Maggie but early one afternoon she received a phone call from Rose Hart.

"Yes Rose, I remember you."

"My brother and sister are with me in New York to see our father off on the Queen Mary 2 on his honeymoon."

"Oh he's remarried; I do hope it went well for everyone."

"Yes, it was a splendid wedding but that's not why I'm calling. We are seeing the new marrieds off late this afternoon on a transatlantic crossing and would like to meet you at a bar at 6:30. We'll have to leave an hour later for the airport."

"That sounds a very unusual request."

Rose laughed awkwardly. "I guess we are a little unusual as people. Please come."

"Very well."

They decided on the bar and Rose was astonished when Maggie said her bank would have a limo waiting outside the bar at 7:30 to take the visitors to the airport.

"But why?"

"Because your father is one of our major clients. That's how I met him. Our bank president requested me to accompany your father to dinner one evening. Apparently I am considered of sufficiently high standard in speech, education, personality and conviviality to be suitable to host a VIP to dinner."

"Oh god."

"What?"

"We thought dad had picked you up in a hotel or a casino."

"I don't go to bars by myself and have never been in a gambling joint. Until this evening then."

"Yes. Bye Rose."

Maggie thought what an odd call. They would unlikely want to kill her or beat her up now their father had someone else. But to meet them was still a strange request. She shrugged and resumed checking her training schedule for personnel working in treasury.

As soon as Maggie entered the crowded bar Rose came forward smiling and without hesitation kissed her as they exchanged greetings. "The others are over here... god what a crush."

In was okay in the booth.

Pru jumped up and kissed Maggie, patted her tum and said, "I'm getting my old figure back already."

"Oh yes, you are blooming. What did you have?"

"A girl. She was almost called Maggie but Tony won with Lily."

Maggie doubted that little story but one can never tell how the minds of people work.

"Oh how lovely. Hi Dirk, please don't stand on account of me."

Pru jumped in ahead of Maggie to sit facing her brother. Rose seemed to be the spokesperson so Maggie assumed it had arranged it so she sat facing Rose. A drinks waitress took their orders and Pru giggled, "This is New York... I wonder if her name is Bubbles?"

"Her nametag stated her name is Claire," Dirk said.

Maggie said, "Oh scanning the poor woman's bust and you just happened to notice the name-tag?"

Dirk grinned.

Maggie thought at least he grinned instead of scowling. Get a life Dirk. Ugh what a dark name.

"Maggie I am acting as spokesperson for the three of us," Rose said. "My brother and sister know what I'm about to say. When you visited our home we three acted like moronic stupid pigs in our dealings with you and for that we are truly, truly sorry."

"Thank you Rose. I take it you other two agree with what Rose has just said in apologizing."

"Yes," Pru said. "Sorry Maggie. I was a complete cow."

The three women looked at Dirk who appeared to be scratching his groin.

"Um Maggie. I totally humiliated you, or attempted to achieve that. Never, never in my life have I acted that nasty. I had no excuse to behave like that. I apologize but know I really must have hurt you with my comments."

"Thank you guys. Actually I was HR manager at that time and so in refusing jobs and firing people I had to have a fairly dense skin. I was over it before I got back to the hotel."

Rose asked, "If you were HR manager then what are you now?"

"HR Coordinator of our banks 212 branches. We are not a big bank because principally we operate as a business bank."

"That sounds a job with huge responsibilities."

"It's what I trained and have prepared myself for Pru. All jobs have to be done by someone."

Dirk grinned, "Modesty suits you Maggie." His sisters giggled.

God, Maggie thought. Dirk has just made a joke.

"Dad and his new wife are away for 14 weeks," Dirk said. "I have to return here soon on business. I was wondering...?"

Maggie smiled. "Yes I'd be agreeable to that. A hostess date or a date you arrange yourself?"

"What's the difference?"

"The first is a contract between the bank and me and then the bank and the VIP. The alternative is to date me directly as a personal arrangement."

"Oh the personalized date please. Yes definitely. I shall be in contact."

Maggie held out her business card and Dirk's sisters looked big-eyed at that exchange.

The group left the bar to find the limo waiting. Pru kissed Maggie and then hugged her and entered the car.

Maggie shook Dirk's hand while they both exchanged a bemused look.

Rose hugged and kissed Maggie and held out an envelope.

"This is from all three of us Maggie. There's enough for you to have a really big shopping day."

Maggie stepped back and said. "No thank you Rose. You guys have apologized and you have displayed signs of friendship. That's more than sufficient. Now hand back the others their money and perhaps dwell on the fact I really can't be as bad as I was painted. Please Rose."

"Very well. I hope we meet again Maggie."

The two in the back were looking very somber when Rose slipped in beside them holding the envelope. But when Maggie smiled and waved they waved and as the vehicle drew away Pru had opened her window and stuck out an arm to keep on waving.

Maggie decided she liked Pru and walked off to buy a cute pink dress for the new baby and a toy for the older boy. Stores were still open. She knew contacts were listed on bank files as a next-of-kin and found Pru's address there.

Three days later she received an excited call from Pru. "I hope I'm not interrupting the banking system of America but I have just opened your parcel... oh so cute. Timmy is already playing trains with his new dump truck; it's how he plays."

"Oh thank you. It's lovely hearing your voice again. And how is Lily?"

"Very well. She'd having her mid morning sleep. I'll tell her I called you."

"What? Oh," Maggie laughed. "Yes it must get lonely with just the little ones most of the day."

"I keep busy and do records research for the company in my free time. I'm on maternity leave for four months, longer if required."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • An Older Unmarried Daughter

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds