• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Death's Twin Brother

Death's Twin Brother

There are so many strange things that walk the world of man by day and most of them are much worse than us creatures of the night. Sometimes, I don't know why humans make such a big deal out of the darkness. They're afraid of the dark and what it brings. The truth is that they should be afraid of the light. True Evil prefers to move about in the daylight hours. That's when it's most likely to catch mortals going about their business unwarily.

My name is Hypnos. I am the co-ruler of the Underworld, which is now in the Dominion of my brother Thanatos, God of Death. My brother and I have had our differences over the years but for the most part, we're okay. These days, I find that I have lots of free time. Thanatos has so many beings to help him that I honestly wonder why he must look after everything himself. No one can do it alone. Yahweh, God of the Covenant has his Angels. Lucifer Morningstar, Lord of Hell has his Dark Angels and Demons. The only immortal I know who keeps on micromanaging his business is Thanatos. I guess old habits die hard. I grow tired of the Underworld. It's such a boring and tedious place.

Thanatos agents bring the souls of recently deceased men and women in countless numbers every bloody day. Every hour, every minute, every moment of every day, someone dies. And someone must bring their soul to the Underworld. Then, they are taken to Judgment. The decent ones go to Paradise, into the embrace of Yahweh. The souls of wicked men and wicked women go to Lucifer Morningstar's Automated Torture Factories in Hell. That's just the way things work. Boredom can be taxing, so I decided to take the day off.

Not much Thanatos can do or say about it because he's so busy bossing around the dead, the undead, the immortals and the godlings who work for him. He doesn't even notice that I am gone. I will myself to another supernatural realm, Hell itself. Just as I expected, the place looked like Hell. I saw armies of dead men and dead women training alongside demons and monsters on the battlefields of Hell. Lucifer is building himself a new army. He still hopes to take the Throne of Heaven someday. I shake my head, and head toward Pandemonium, Lucifer's private palace and favorite dwelling. Pandemonium is a massive structure made of Empyrean metals, the toughest alloy in the universe. The handles of Heavenly Angels' Blades of Fire are made of it. As is the Scepter of Thanatos.

I see fallen angels along with Nephilim moving about their business. The Nephilim are an odd breed. The sons and daughters of fallen angels and human females. They have supernatural powers, but they can die, unlike their angelic fathers. There used to be many of them on Earth but Heaven's Soldiers nearly wiped them out. Today, the only surviving members of the race of the Nephilim exist in Hell. I smile as I notice some of my fellow Greek gods. A tall, majestic woman with long blonde hair, alabaster skin and green eyes approached me. Aphrodite, the Goddess of Love. She is accompanied by a tall, burly, bronze-skinned and dark-haired man. Hephaestus, God of the Forge.

Eons ago, Yahweh and His Angels allied themselves with ancient beings known as the Primordials. Together, they wiped out the Pagan deities of just about every old religion. When the Primordials wiped out the Pagan gods and goddesses, Yahweh and His Angels betrayed them and annihilated them. Nowadays, Yahweh was the undisputed Master of the Universe. Nothing and no one could stand in His way. Aphrodite was quite happy to see me. I was thrilled to see her.

Lord Hephaestus, her husband, was looking rather well. He now worked as Executive President of the Department of Paranormal Engineering which Lucifer Morningstar had recently created. The fallen angels, demons, humans and monsters who worked for Hephaestus were the most talented magic users in the universe. Lucifer expected them to produce the weapons and technologies his army would one day use to batter down the Gates of Heaven. I smiled when Hephaestus told me this. Lucifer certainly had a lot of balls. The guy was fated to lose his war against his father Yahweh but he would keep fighting till the end of time because that's who he is. I saw several of my fellow deities there.

Anansi, the Spider God and Trickster-Hero of the Ashanti People of Africa was there, along with his wife, the goddess Aso and their sons. I was quite pleased to see that Anansi survived the Twilight of the Gods. The world would be sorely lacking without everyone's favorite practical joker. Nearby, I saw Loki, the God of Malice. He's from ancient Scandinavia. He died during the war of the gods and Primordials but Lucifer resurrected him and gave him a job as his Chief of Security. I strongly felt like telling Lucifer he should fire Loki, since I knew from experience the bastard couldn't be trusted but hey, who am I to rain on the Devil's parade?

Apparently, Pandemonium was a who's who of the lost or forgotten deities of ancient times. I saw Odin, the King of the Norse Gods. Along with the goddess Sif, wife of the Mighty Thor, the Germanic Thunder God. They were still adjusting to their new status as forgotten gods whom Lucifer rescued from the jaws of death to become members of the Aristocracy of Hell. I suppose reigning in Hell is better than being dead when you're a deposed or slain deity. I ran into Athena, goddess of Wisdom and Apollo, god of the Sun. They both worked as Lucifer's Special Advisor on Otherworldly Affairs. I was just happy to see they were still alive.

Lucifer had done his best to resurrect many of the dead gods and bring them to his team of powerhouses but there was only so much he could do. Zeus, Lord of Olympus, Ares, Lord of War and Hera, Goddess of Matrimony were irretrievably lost, their essences swallowed whole by the now slain Primordials. This was also the case for thousands upon thousands of gods and goddesses from many lands. I felt a pang of sadness when I heard that Hercules, god of Strength and Thor the Thunderer also numbered among the dead, as did the Grecian goddesses Artemis, Persephone and Hecate.

I was fond of Hercules. Before he ascended to godhood, he was a mere demigod. Even then, he was something to behold. A tall, dark-haired, bronze-skinned, ruggedly good-looking son of Greece. Thanatos went up against him and got his ass kicked once. I never let my brother forget that a mere half-mortal beat the living daylights out of him once. I shall miss Hercules. For his sake alone, I wish I could have fought against Yahweh, His Angels and the Primordials but Thanatos hadn't allowed me to fight. Once Hades, Lord of the Underworld, finally perished, my brother Thanatos assumed the throne and ran his new realm with an iron fist. There is no justice in the universe. Countless gods and goddesses are dead.

Those who survived can never return to Earth under penalty of death. For Yahweh's Angels will slay them on sight. This of course doesn't apply to me because Yahweh and His Angels really don't want to make an enemy of Thanatos. So far, the Underworld has remained neutral in the war between Yahweh, God of the Covenant and his estranged son the fallen archangel Lucifer Morningstar, Lord of Hell. As long as it's Heaven versus Hell, God and His Sons can hold their claim to dictatorship of the universe. However, if the Underworld were to join forces with Hell, that would tip the scales considerably.

Heaven might fight a war it couldn't win. So, I could go on earth whenever I pleased, as could any agent or emissary of Thanatos. Politics as usual. Watching my fellow Grecian gods and goddesses moving about their duties in the Devil's palace, I smiled wistfully. How times had changed. Once, the Olympians reigned supreme. They ruled the sky, the land and the sea. Now the Earth belonged to man and woman, and their absentee landlord, Yahweh. The age of the Pagan gods was over. The humans barely remembered our names.I wish Lucifer good luck in his fight. I hope he doesn't end up like some of my contemporaries. Vanquished, diminished and forgotten. With that, I left the Realm of Hell. I teleported myself to Earth. The abode of mortal man.

Invisible, I walked the streets of Boston, Massachusetts. It's always been one of my favorite cities. Long before it became a city. I saw the humans going about their lives. I saw the Angels watching over them and the Demons tempting them. I saw the genetically enhanced mutants masquerading as ordinary people, along with the many species of nonhuman sentient beings. Vampires. Werewolves. Monsters. Mermen. Mermaids. Fallen Angels. Disguised as ordinary people, they carved out a place for themselves in human society. Once, they lived openly among mortals and mortals feared and respected them. Times have changed indeed. The time of the Pagan gods was over. Someday, the time of Angels and Demons would be over too. In the end, even Thanatos and myself must cease our activities in this world and retire to the void. We will know when our time has passed. Which is more than I can say for a certain dysfunctional father-son duo. The mad dance between Yahweh and Lucifer will continue until the end of time, I'm afraid. I weep for this world and what they'll do to it before they're done. Whoever wins, the mortals will lose.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Death's Twin Brother

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 35 milliseconds