• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • A Tale Told Twice

A Tale Told Twice

123

Trevor Griffin rubbed his weary, blue eyes then lifted the letter once again. He had thought it was over, hoped the year that had passed would heal all and let the matter be forgotten, but now it was rising it's ugly head once again.

"Inquiry as to the death of, and circumstances related to: Miss Alicia Daumer."

Trevor mouthed the official words that stared mutely at him and sighed, knowing it was part of the terms of his probation that he co-operate, and that it wasn't going to be an easy situation for him or the ones "investigating".

"Jennifer, cancel my appointments for the week and make the usual apologies, I have an unexpected guest arriving and need to be ready for them when they arrive..."

He called to his secretary, then sighed a second time as she politely asked the name of the "people" and if she could make arrangements for "them" when they arrived?

"I don't know who they are or when, but I suspect it'll quickly become obvious once they arrive, now be a good girl and get to work, hmm?"

He managed a laugh, running his hands through his long, black curls, then reached for the large mug of coffee on his desk and drank from it. It was going to be a long and rough future, he decided, until he could convince his uninvited guests to leave, and he could return to his "business" once again.

"I'm going to take a run, I'll be at the Club if you need me, then back later this afternoon"

Lifting his long, lean body from the chair he occupied he slipped a light jacket on and stepped lightly to his secretaries desk, his smile made even brighter by the dark tan he wore as he spoke quietly to her.

"Take good care of the "store", will you please?"

~~~~~~~~~~

A year later and Julianne felt the same as she had when she had initially found out that her sister was dead. Nothing considerable had changed and no amount of work had made any difference. Her job at the precinct hadn't done much difference either; regardless of the fact that a man had been found responsible for Alicia's death the case was still open. No coroner could pinpoint a direct cause of death or even piece together much of the scene. A body had been found and it had been ruled homicide because no natural cause of death could be determined. And Julianne wouldn't accept the idea that there could be a greater force so cruel that would take away her sister's life so early.

What she knew she'd heard at the grand jury indictment; the trial itself being closed to the public and never being given the case file. No one who knew any information would talk, having been instructed not to. Specifically, not to Alicia's family and especially not to Julianne. Being a woman gave Julianne disadvantages that years rebellion couldn't overcome. Her captain and her partner kept her busy with her own work, knowing that if she were allowed to obsess she would. She wanted to know why and how her sister died, but no one would tell her. There was no paper trail, no witnesses, and not much reason to believe that there had been foul play.

Julianne was angry with everyone from keeping the truth from her. She wasn't allowed to see the body, and the funeral had been a closed casket. It was as though a dark secret was being buried with her; one that everyone around her suspected but wouldn't allow it to be spoken lest it be spoken and thus become true. Julianne felt as if she were locked inside a holding cell and was continuously being told it was for her own good. She couldn't continue working without knowing what had really happened, what had happened to her sister and why. She wanted to know the reason why above all.

Her case load had been cut, she'd been given grievance leave, and Julianne was ready to go insane. She wanted to get back to doing what she did best, and she was determined to find peace for herself and her older sister. The papers had covered the release of the man who'd been convicted, and by simply looking at his photograph Julianne knew that if she questioned him she would find answers - if she found enough to courage to ask them.

Time had given her the courage or perhaps the impulsiveness and determination to approach the man called Trevor Griffin. She wrote an official inquiry on the police department letterhead and had mailed it to his office. A week later she'd received a call from his secretary, informing her that he had cleared his schedule and would be back that afternoon. Julianne's partner spotted the lie the minute she'd formulated one, but had never agreed with the captains decision to hide the truth from her and didn't stop her. He offered to go with her, but she refused. Griffin would be more likely to tell the truth if they were alone, but Julianne knew to expect him near by if she should call him after her meeting.

She found the address easy enough and parked her car. She debated for a few minutes whether or not she wanted to leave her weapons but thought better of it. She pulled her black coat over her blue sweater and tucked each into their holsters; one at her hip and one at her boot. She smoothed her auburn ponytail back and stepped out of the car. The back of the building told her nothing about where she was, and was surprised to hear a car pull in beside her.

Trevor knew his "appointment" had arrived when he pulled up in his own car. What cued him exactly he wasn't sure of later, his instinct and the fact all other appointments had been canceled leading to one logical conclusion as he stepped from his car and met her eyes.

"I'm Trevor Griffin and you're in my parking spot, on any other given day that would be a problem, but since it's not and you're here I'm assuming your my one and only scheduled meeting for the week, correct?"

Julianne nodded to him in affirmation. She hadn't expected to run into the man in the parking lot, but as it was she hadn't much choice to let him defend what she knew he claimed as territory. He smiled to disarm his words and offered a hand, his eyes judging the woman who stood her ground and returned his look, her hand remaining at her side until he coughed and turned.

"Yes, well....I'm going into the offices, IF you wanted to discuss something with me then by all means lets do...but inside, I'm assuming it's official business and you have a warrant reopening the files?"

He probed and moved slowly to the rear doors, using his key to open the first and then standing aside to hold it for his "guest", her lack of answers making him wonder just what she was up to as she brushed past him. She followed him into the building and took the seat he offered her in his office. She'd been caught off guard, and the surprise had thrown her. She wanted to get her barrings, to find stable ground to stand upon whilst she questioned him about her sisters death. She'd hoped to skip over the lack of warrant, but it wouldn't make any difference because she wasn't interested in looking into any files.

"Have a seat and I'll get us something to drink?"

He waved a hand to the chairs and dropped his bag at the side of the desk, the interior lighting showing her face and making him pause as he tried to place her, then move out to where his secretary sat looking bored.

"Any mail...calls....news?"

He queried and pulled a pair of Evian bottles from the cooler, then accepted the tiny pile of notes and mail, returning to where his now seated guest waited to offer the drink.

"Time was I did most of my meetings over real drinks, but times change and this is what I have to offer, now what can I do for you Miss....?" He finally addressed her with a question that was less of a question and more of a demand. Julianne didn't want to give him her last name, she knew he was already trying to place her. She and her sister had looked a great deal alike, it wasn't hard to recognize them as twins.

"Detective," She answered him with a tone of finality, telling him that detective was all she was going to give him.

"Detective," Trevor repeated the title as he sat regarding her, his eyes moving from her face to the wall where another picture still hung, then back again.

"There's no need for a warrant, Mr. Griffin, unless you present the need." She knew it was a lie. Generally Julianne was a decent liar, but she couldn't read him and thus she couldn't tell if he believed it or not. She tried to let the fact that she couldn't get a read off of him bother her, and it was difficult.

"I'm sure that you're aware that the Daumer case hasn't been closed, due to the fact that you would not release any of the information regarding the girls death. We're looking to finally close the case. Double Jeopardy applies, you can't be tried twice, so you've now nothing to loose Mr. Griffin."

Her appeal was the best one she could deploy. She couldn't think of any other reason why he would withhold the information this long. Before the trial was one thing: he was the only one who knew what happened and if he revealed that information to the police he could have faced severe charges. Now that he had already been convicted of charges relating to Alicia's death he couldn't be tried again.

"The department is looking for closure for the girl's family."

It was awkward speaking of Alicia as if she wasn't her sister, her own family and blood. But if Julianne told him her name, she would reveal to him her more personal motives for being there. She wanted to appear purely business.

"Well detective....since you're familiar with the case tell me what I was put on probation for, or what my alibi was regarding Alicia's death...hmmm?"

He spoke the words softly, wondering what the woman's angle was exactly, and admiring her guts for trying despite having no warrant or real leverage to make him talk.

"What precinct are you from, would you mind if I saw at least your badge to back up that rank? Maybe you could tell me your Captain's name and I can have my secretary verify you're here on Official Police Business, BEFORE I disclose information her REAL family wouldn't want aired?"

He had struck a nerve with several of his requests, the Detective looking rattled enough to bolt, then mad enough to use the gun he guessed she was wearing.

"The last I ever heard from Alicia she had only ONE family member still living, and she hadn't spoke to her sister in over six months before she died, you wouldn't know where she lives now, would you Detective?"

Julianne took a deep breath. After feeling the affects of his prodding she realized that she was reacting exactly the way he wanted her to. He was more manipulative than she, and he was going to manipulate the situation into his favor even more so than what had been done already.

"Have it your way then."

She pulled her badge from her pocket, hiding a smirk as he flinched. She threw it onto his desk, knowing that he would recognize the name. The gold shield shined unscathed on his desk, Detective J. Daumer plainly legible. Trevor didn't need to lift the badge to know the Detective's last name, he had made the connection with the first glance at Alicia's picture on the wall, the eyes of both sisters staring at him with the identical frank and daring expression at that moment. She knew he would place her immediately, knowing that she was the sister who hadn't been spoken to in over 6 months and the only living family Alicia had. She sat there, as bold as ever, with the same questions.

"This is still official police business, Mr. Griffin. I work at the 22, and my captain's name is Jamison. I am also her REAL family. So. NOW are you ready to disclose the information?"

"You look exactly like her, but act completely different, Alicia was less driven than you and perhaps more honest, but I don't hold your attempts at getting the truth against you. I had my secretary call once I received the letter, she pulled a favor and was told the case is still closed, and sealed...That you were the only one in eight months to express any interest in it being reopened"

Trevor stood and moved to the doors to close them, then turned and walked slowly across the floor to lean against his desk and stare frankly at his "appointment" before speaking softly once again...

"She looked up to you Juli, said you didn't approve of her habits....but still worshiped the ground you walked on... Now why don't you come clean with me so I can decide if I want to do the same...for you?"

Julianne had to take another deep breath before speaking. He was assuming too much, and the assumption of things he knew nothing about in accordance to her and her life sparked a twinge of anger.

"Mr. Griffin, I suppose it is my turn to inform you. A case cannot officially be closed without a certain and determined cause of death. And because one has not yet been determined, the case was never closed and thus could never be reopened."

She hadn't the slightest idea of why she sounded so defensive, except for that his statement had appeared offensive and she had responded instinctual and accordingly. She assumed that his secretary more than likely spoke to her Captain, he above all in agreement that the case was closed regardless of the fact that the cause was still undetermined. She softened her tone to match his, continuing.

"Alicia and I were close in age, but she was still my older sister. I didn't approve of her habits and she didn't approve of my decision to become a cop. We were in disagreement over a lot of things. We were family, it happens."

Julianne still hated referring to her sister and her sisters life in the past tense. The first time she'd spoken of her sisters death it had been a shocking realization that she really was gone and not coming back.

"I've lain my badge and the truth you were searching for on the table, and I think we both know you didn't need either. So, I gave you yours, it's only fair you give me mine."

Trevor nodded, lifting the badge and moving to offer it to the detective, his hand brushing hers as she moved to take it from him before pulling away.

"I know you don't have the authority to investigate this case, that you don't have a clue as to the what's in the file, open or closed....if you did you'd know I was never charged for your sisters death and was put on probation for an unrelated charge. I know that without a warrant I don't have to say or do anything, and that IF I called and complained right now....you'd get pulled back to the 22 and read the riot act."

He had returned to his desk top once again, leaning against it to stare frankly at her, his eyes moving slowly up and down the length of her body before he spoke again.

"Even IF I tried to tell you the truth you'd never understand, you're too against what your sister wanted to even try...the only way you'd understand takes time...and you don't impress me as the patient type... What would you have that I want to risk trading my business and freedom for anyways?"

Julianne slowly began to realize that Trevor was the bargaining type. He wasn't just going to simply tell her what she wanted to know without collateral or with an equally valuable exchange.

She took he badge without haste and let his hand linger. She did know a few things, more than Trevor was willing to assume. She debated playing her hand, and thought it was best to lay all that she on the table for him to consider.

"You were charged with negligence and reckless endangerment, were you not Mr. Griffin? My authoritative power extends further than you'd like to imagine. Yes, if you called and complained I'd be called back to the precinct, given a good talking to, and be sent on my way. Which would eventually lead me right back here."

She didn't know any other way to tell him that she wasn't going to be sent away like a child. Julianne was sick and tired of being treated like an inferior, because she believed whole heartedly that she deserved to know what happened.

"Regardless of what you were charged with, you are still the only person who knows what happened and more importantly, you know why. I may not be as understanding as you'd like, Mr. Griffin," she'd said it with an unintentional amount of disdain and immediately swallowed her rising tone, "but I'm still willing to listen. Patience is irrelevant when I've all the time in he world. My grievance leave has not yet been lifted by the precinct psychologist and my captain wont increase my case load. I've waited this long and yet you still do not believe I am a patient person. And you're not risking your business nor you freedom, so what is there to trade?"

She stopped and let her words dangle. It was bait, they both knew it, but Julianne didn't know if he would take it. It was more of a dare than anything else, a challenge, an appeal to his superiority. She given him everything she'd held in her hand and now had nothing else to play. He would either bargain the truth or he'd take it to his grave.

Trevor stood, then walked slowly around Julianne to stand behind her, his eyes on the picture hanging on the wall before returning to the woman seated before him.

"Your sister was into excesses...she stated that the two of you fought over that every time you talked, until suddenly you both quit talking, is that true?" Placing a hand on each of her shoulders he rested them there, feeling the holster straps that looped over one and seeing the tiny bulge underneath the coat she had worn into his office. She tried not to flinch as his hands came down upon her shoulders. It was an odd feeling, somewhere between uncomfortable and awkward. She sat still, but wanted nothing more than to shift in her seat.

So far Trevor had told Julianne nothing that she didn't already know. Alicia was a hippe at heart, always experimenting and trying new things. When they were younger Julianne had thought it bravery and had admired the quality. As they got older she realized that her sisters experimentation extended beyond into societal dangers.

"It's true. We fought over money. I had it, she didn't it. I don't think that needs much explanation. She'd called me soon before she'd died, promising that soon after the last conversation she had she cleaned herself up and wanted to see me. I didn't believe her."

It was a horrible truth Julianne couldn't believe she'd told him. It had been a weight of guilt, not having believed her. She had been given reason to not trust her sister, but Alicia had been her sister all the same and she should have believed her. Julianne looked to her badge before putting it back in her jacket pocket, glad for a reason to shift underneath his light grip.

"She wanted certain....things...from me, I refused at first...knowing she was heavy into the drugs and booze, told her to clean her act up and come see me again, six months later she came back....clean and bright eyed, still wanting the same things from me...are you sure you want to hear this?"

Julianne nodded to him, telling him to continue.

"She traded two bad habits for one. Clean and sober she wanted me to introduce her to the world of being a submissive. We talked for hours and she told me of her fantasies, asking if they were possible, and if I knew people that might want to experiment with her"

Trevor continued gently, taking time to phrase the words carefully, knowing it was Alicia he spoke about to her sister.

"She thought it was as easy as popping a pill or tossing back a shot to experience, that by me telling her about it she'd be able to understand, it never works that way...until you try it you'd never understand... I refused to go any further with her, fearing she'd be mentally unstable and then she returned several days later demanding I did...or she'd go elsewhere"

Julianne listened intently. He'd known her sister better than anyone else, he was the only who capable of telling her how and why her sister died. For a few moments it seemed as though he would in fact take those secrets to his grave, and moments later it seemed as though he were willing to tell her everything.

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • A Tale Told Twice

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds