• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The Aboriginal Ghost Girl Blues

The Aboriginal Ghost Girl Blues

"Hello, there, you're always hanging around the library, you must be pretty smart, huh?" Vincent Endelkachew said, as he approached the tall, curvy and dark-haired young woman. She looked at him as though startled, an odd look in her somber brown eyes. For a moment, Vincent could have sworn that he could see right through her, but dismissed the thought. After all, the doctors told him he'd experience some discomfort after the laser vision surgery...

For several weeks now, Vincent had been noticing her. The attractive, possibly Aboriginal young woman who always seemed to be drifting from one floor of the campus library to another, always in her own little world, talking to absolutely no one. Oh, and she always wore the same clothes. What's up with that? Usually shy when it came to the ladies, Vincent finally worked the nerve to approach her...and some major awkwardness ensued.

"You can see me?" the young woman replied, shaking her head in wonder. Vincent nodded, and silently chastised himself for approaching the attractive if reclusive young woman. The third floor of the Carleton University library, dubbed the silent floor, was usually full of oddballs, the nerdy types, the introverted geniuses and so on. It's where the brilliant but socially awkward went to get work done...and hide from the world.

"Um, yeah, I used to wear glasses but went for laser surgery, you seem a bit blurry to my eyes but that's to be expected," Vincent said softly, and the young woman smiled faintly. Vincent took a good look at her. She seemed to be about his age, tall and curvy, with light bronze skin, dark brown eyes and long black hair. As usual, she wore a white blouse and a long dark brown skirt, with a bandana in her hair. Retro chick, Vincent thought, a bit puzzled.

"If you can see me, then you can help me," the young woman said, and Vincent scratched his head. Even by Canadian standards, this chick was weird. When Vincent moved to the City of Ottawa, Ontario, from his hometown of Bahir Dar, Ethiopia, he experienced a brand new world. Still, life in the Canadian capital was anything but peachy keen. While outwardly friendly, the locals sometimes surprised him with their covert hostility and passive-aggression...

As a big and tall young man from Northeast Africa, Vincent Endelkachew knew that his dark brown skin, puffy Afro-styled hair and Afro-Asiatic culture would be viewed as strange by the people of Canada. Still, it puzzled him that so many of these people who claimed to be open-minded and friendly consistently judged him before getting to know him. Vincent could only hope the mysterious Aboriginal gal from the library wasn't like that...

"Vince, my dude, who on earth are you talking to?" came a familiar voice, and Vincent whirled around and found himself almost nose to nose with Hans Hauser. The big and tall, red-haired and green-eyed international student from Johannesburg, South Africa stared at him in open surprise. In fact, Hans gaped at Vincent as though he'd just seen a Martian...

"Hey, Hans, what's up, dude? Um, I was just talking to her," Vincent said, and as he turned to address the mysterious Aboriginal gal, he found out that she was gone. As in vanished utterly. Hans looked at Vincent as though he had two heads, that trademark smirk of his firmly in place. Dammit, Little Miss Lonesome Dove Disappeared Again, Vincent thought, and Hans clapped him on the shoulder and shook his head.

"Imaginary girlfriend, eh? Instead of talking to yourself, you should holler at them," Hans said, nodding toward a pair of young women who walked by, smiling. Vincent recognized the tall, attractive African gal in the tracksuit as Rebecca Bichena, a fellow international student from Ethiopia. They'd met during the international students orientation near the end of August. The young, blonde-haired and tattooed white woman who walked with her, he didn't know anything about...

"I doubt it would work," Vincent said with a sigh, as a smiling Rebecca waved at him, then clasped the blonde gal's hand in hers, and the two of them headed for the nearby elevators. The two young women seemed to be very much a couple. Hans chuckled, apparently finding the whole situation very funny. Vincent rolled his eyes. Hans was one of his few friends at Carleton, but he was in no mood for the South African dude's sharp sense of humor...

"Damn, too bad they're lesbians, bro, we totally could have double dated if they were into guys and wanted to give us the time of day," Hans said, and then he winked at a saddened Vincent before returning to his computer. Vincent was about to do the same when he saw the mystery gal headed for a stairwell. In spite of himself, he followed her...

"Hey, there, not polite to disappear on a brother like that," Vincent said, as he caught up with her at the bottom of the steps. The young Aboriginal woman stood there, a faint smile on her face. What a cutie, Vincent thought. He didn't know much about the Aboriginal people of Canada, though he felt a kind of sympathy for them because his people too had endured the nightmares of European colonialism before gaining their independence...

"Sorry, I'm still getting used to the fact that you actually notice me, I'm Lena, from the Nipissing band," the young woman said at last, smiling while offering him her hand. Vincent nodded and then shook it. As he did, a frisson coursed through him, which he attributed to the fact that Ottawa was experiencing a particularly cold month of March, and he'd just come in after spending some time outside, enjoying his mid-afternoon smoke.

"Good to meet you, Lena, I'm Vincent, from Ethiopia, I'm in civil engineering, what are you taking?" Vincent asked, and Lena looked at him, her lovely brown eyes scrutinizing him. The young man felt a bit self-conscious. Like most nineteen-year-old males, the female of the species mystified him. His older sister Bethlehem warned him about young women and the tricks they played on unsuspecting young men. Just to push their buttons. Could that be why Lena was looking at him like that?

"Oh, cool, I studied civil engineering too, a long time ago," Lena finally replied, and there was a look of profound regret on her lovely face. Vincent bit his lip. Hot damn this gal was cute, even if she was awkward as fuck, and insisted on wearing the same clothes all the time. Should he ask for her number? Nah, she would probably think he was rushing? Don't rush things and look desperate, Vincent silently chastised himself.

"Well, it's nice to finally meet you, fellow engineer, I swear, I somehow knew you had to be in engineering, people like us have no life and spend all of our free time in the campus library," Vincent said, trying to be funny. Lena's eyes went wide and she laughed, and then her face fell, and a great sadness crept into it. Did I say the wrong thing? Vincent wondered.

"Well, Vincent, even if I have no life, I'm glad I met you, you are a cutie," Lena said, and Vincent blushed, suddenly thankful that most people couldn't tell when he blushed, thanks to his strong Northeast African genes. The two of them stood there awkwardly, and Vincent bit his lip. Normally when he met a cute gal, he would try to either add her on Facebook or get her cell phone number or both. Somehow, he sensed that this would be the wrong approach to Lena...

"Glad I met you too, Lena, we should chill together sometime, you know, since we're both engineering nerds and all that," Vincent said, and Lena smiled and nodded. Nodding courteously, he wished her a good day, and shook her hand once more. Yup, her grip felt icy, and he wondered if she was crazy enough to go outside without a coat, then decided against mentioning it. Smiling, he nodded then walked away.

"I'll be right here, Vincent," Lena called out, and Vincent turned and when he did, she was gone. The young man smiled to himself. This chick is full of mystery but that's okay, I like a good mystery, Vincent thought. He was still smiling when he came back to his chair. As he sat down and logged onto Carleton Central, intent on getting a head start on summer course selection, the sound of knuckles rapping against his desk caused him to look up.

"Vincent, my dude, you're all smiles, come on, out with it, who's the lucky lady?" Hans asked, noisy as usual. Vincent leaned back in his chair and smiled and shrugged. Hans raised an eyebrow expectantly, and Vincent decided to tell him, if only in the interest of shutting up Hans so he could actually get some work done. The big South African was nosy, even by the standards of their home continent, which is saying something...

"Well, Hans, if you must know, I finally talked to the mystery gal and her name is Lena, she's from the Nipissing First Nation people," Vincent said, smiling wryly. Hans nodded, then went on Facebook. Vincent glanced at his PC and watched as Hans typed Lena Nipissing in the search engine. Quite a few hits came up, but they were mostly people associated with Nipissing University.

"Bro, which one of them is she?" Hans asked, and Vincent looked at the list and none of the eight profiles that popped up belonged to Lena. Vincent sighed, and logged onto his Facebook and searched for Lena. Having no better luck than Hans, he decided to look Lena up on LinkedIn. Nada. Instagram also revealed nothing. Hans looked at Vincent and shook his head sadly...

"Dude, it's 2017 and most people have a social media account but Lena seems like the old-school type, she might not be into Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and all that social media shit," Vincent said, and Hans nodded, then put his headphones back on. He resumed watching the game pitting Liverpool F.C. against Burnley. Never get between a South African and his football, Vincent thought, amused.

A few days went by, and Vincent didn't see or hear from Lena. Oh, and an extensive online search turned up absolutely nothing on Lena from Nipissing, Ontario. Frustrated, Vincent talked about it with his buddy Tariq Suleiman, an older Arab dude working for the campus library. The two of them sat inside the library's in-house Starbucks, and talked things over coffee.

"The name Lena does ring a bell for some reason, I'll check archives and get back to you," Tariq said, and Vincent nodded gratefully. As they sat there, Vincent absentmindedly watched students and staff come and go from the Starbucks. At this hour, the place was packed, and the store's clientele was as diverse as the campus itself...

A tall, athletic black guy with dreads walked in with his Chinese girlfriend, much to the consternation of a chubby balding white dude who walked in with his own Chinese girlfriend. These two unique couples were followed by a third, an effeminate, dark-skinned guy with glasses and a young black woman with braids. A young Somali woman in a tracksuit walked in, holding hands with a traditionally-attired young Arab dude. Nice couple, Vincent thought.

"Everyone's got someone except me," Vincent whispered, mostly to himself, as he sipped his coffee. Tariq smiled at Vincent and shrugged sympathetically. Vincent had known the fifty-something Lebanese dude for a while, and he knew that Tariq and his wife of two decades, Mariam, were getting a divorce. Everyone's got pain in their life, Vincent thought bitterly.

"I'll look your friend Lena in the archives, and maybe the provincial database and see what I can turn up," Tariq said, and Vincent nodded gratefully. The two of them finished their drinks, and then exited Starbucks. Vincent went to his least favorite class, that humanities elective called Sociology 101, which he was forced to take. Sociology irked the hell out of him with its politics and subtle nuances. By contrast, engineering was pure science, and totally straightforward...

"The treatment of Aboriginals in Canada, especially in Ontario, continues to vex me," said the sociology professor, a tall, curvy, dark-haired Hispanic lady named Antonia Martinez. Vincent nodded sagely as he sat in the front row, sandwiched between a Hijab-wearing South Asian gal who was checking out Instagram on her laptop, and a bored-looking white dude with a buzz cut whose cell phone wallpaper read "Make America Great Again." Just another day in sociology class, inside the drafty old Tory building. The young Ethiopian scholar would rather be anywhere else...

"Did you know that on this very campus, a young Aboriginal woman was murdered in 1977? Her name was Lena Boudreau, and her killer, Sebastien Connors, was shot and killed by the RCMP," Professor Martinez said, and her words roused Vincent out of his wide-awake slumber. The young Ethiopian blinked, and then did something he'd never done in his two and a half months of being in this class. He raised his hand...

"Excuse me, ma'am? Did you say Lena Boudreau?" Vincent asked, as icy dread crept into his heart. The professor nodded, and then gestured to the T.A. The teacher's assistant, a masculine, red-haired young white woman with a Rob Zombie T-shirt, nodded gravely and activated the projector. An old article appeared, and Vincent's heart skipped a beat as a disturbingly familiar face appeared above the headline, "Missing Young Woman's Body Found in River Ward."

"No," Vincent all but shouted, and then, as everyone in class looked on, the disturbed young man grabbed his belongings and then took off as though the Devil himself were after him. There has to be a mistake, Vincent thought to himself as he rushed from the Tory building to the library, rushing through the snow-covered quad and taking the steps two at a time...

"Hey, Vince, I found the articles I was looking for," Tariq said, holding a pack of yellowing old newspaper articles. Vincent went to him, and Tariq laid the articles on the circulation desk. Vincent held his breath as Tariq's papers showed him exactly the same information that Professor Martinez informed him about a few minutes ago. This is too frigging crazy, he thought...

"Thanks," Vincent said as he nodded at his old friend, then headed upstairs. As soon as he got out of the elevators, he went to the book shelves instead of heading to the computer area. After looking from shelf to shelf, without finding Lena, he'd almost convinced himself that he'd imagined the whole thing, until he saw...her.

"I wanted to tell you, I just wasn't sure how to," Lena said sheepishly, a look of guilt and sorrow on her lovely face as Vincent drew near. The young man paused, unsure how to proceed. Lena came to him, and gently took his hand in hers. As expected, her touch felt icy, and he winced a bit, but did not pull away. Vincent looked into Lena's eyes, and spoke at last...

"You could have told me, damn, I don't know what to think, I thought I met a beautiful gal, but according to the news articles, you died in 1977," Vincent said, shaking his head. Lena nodded sadly, and shrugged. In a few simple words, the ghostly young woman told him what had happened to her.

"There was this guy named Sebastien Connors, French Canadian fellow from one of my classes, he was obsessed with me and I kept turning him down, mainly because he'd said hurtful things about Native people during class discussions, and one night, he cornered me in the library and strangled me, then dumped my body in the nearby river," Lena said, tears streaming down her lovely face.

"I'm so sorry, Lena, someone should have been there to stop him," Vincent said, as he looked into her eyes. In that moment, it didn't matter that he was alive and she was a ghost, or undead, or whatever state that she existed in. What stood before Vincent was a lovely young woman who'd been wronged. In Ethiopia, only a coward would put his hands on a woman, and only the vilest of men would murder a woman simply because she turned them down...

"Oh, Vincent, I wish I'd met you a long time ago," Lena said, and then she gently leaned against him. Vincent paused, feeling a bit awkward. Alive or ghostly, this was a beautiful young woman...touching him. Slowly, tentatively, he wrapped his arms around her. Lena looked up at him, her beautiful face full of...what, exactly?

"Me too," Vincent replied, and then he kissed her. Lena kissed him back tenderly, and then the two of them embraced. This time, Lena's touch did not feel cold. Her lips felt warm, and tender, against his. They were still kissing when a presence caused them to stop, and Vincent looked up, to see his buddy Hans standing there, a wicked smirk on his face.

"Hans, bud, um, what's up?" Vincent asked, and he felt Lena grip him tightly, and when he glanced at her, her lovely face was full of fright. Suddenly it dawned on Vincent that she was looking right at Hans, and that Hans was looking right at her. The burly South African shouldn't have been able to see her. Unless...

"Hey, Vince, I'm afraid Hans isn't home right now, I'm Sebastien Connors, pleased to meet you, and maybe kill you," said Hans, right before his eyes turned completely black, and a sadistic smile crept across his features. In Vincent's arms, Lena began to tremble and shake. Vincent pulled her close, as he tried to wrap his mind over what was happening...

"Vincent, this isn't your friend, this is Sebastien Connors, the monster who killed me, he's been following me around all these years and must have taken over your friend's body," Lena said, and she extricated herself from Vincent's arms, and bravely stood between him and the man who killed her. Sebastien's devilish grin grew even wider, and he flicked his tongue over his teeth.

"Got that right, squaw, I killed your uppity ass, and now I'm going to kill your boyfriend and make you watch," Sebastien/Hans said, and he pulled a knife from his pocket, and drew closer to the twosome. Lena lashed out, but her hand passed right through the monster, who laughed. Sebastien/Hans walked right through Lena, as though she weren't there, then lunged at Vincent...

"Run, Vincent, run!" Lena shouted, and Vincent looked at her, then at the monster inhabiting his friend Hans body. Grasping Lena's hand in his, he took off. The two of them left the nearly deserted library, shoving their way past stunned students and staff, with Sebastien/Hans in hot pursuit. Where could they go, with a bloodthirsty, vengeful fiend from beyond the damn grave chasing after them?

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • The Aboriginal Ghost Girl Blues

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 100 milliseconds