• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Life Renewed Ch. 05

Life Renewed Ch. 05

12

LIFE RENEWED, Part V

The new big day was upon them at last. James went out to feed the horses and give them extra hay but no extra grain due to the sickness it could do if they over ate grain. Then he checked Rolf's run and blocked the door open so he could go in and out as he needed or wanted to. He sat out extra food and water for him also. He had turned into such a good dog and had house broke so easily. He never had an accident in the house, always asking and then demanding to be let out. James laughed. He had gotten him to not to try to sleep with Ana, but he did want to sleep by her side of the bed. James thought she had a protector if one was ever needed and he could not believe how tightly the two of them had bonded and how quickly it had happened. He guessed he would have to get himself a dog if he really wanted one.

James went to the bathroom and shaved and showered and then dressed in casual clothes and then went into the bedroom and packed an overnight bag and then packed his best suit, shirt and tie and his best boots in a suit bag to hang in the helicopter. He was wearing one his best hats. He remembered to call down and reserve a rental SUV to be delivered to Leon's aviation company by giving his credit card and driver's license information.

Ana asked about the proposed helicopter purchase to which he simply said "later." She also reminded him that he was spending an awful lot of money. He told to not worry about money, now or ever, as he had plenty and was going to have more as he was going to start ranching big time as soon as he got a ranch manager and a cowboy or two and he would probably have to build a home of some sort for the ranch manager as most ranch managers seemed to be older and had families to care for, and a bunk house for the cowboys. He said he did not think that he had enough land to necessitate a large number of cowboys so he would not need to hire a cook and set up another kitchen, instead making each room in the bunkhouse a sort of efficiency apartment with some cooking space, but he did not know as yet, again due to the weather After he found a ranch manager and they talked and planned the future he would decide on those types of things, He wondered again how the old rancher had managed to do it by himself with only limited temporary help But then he had been born into that life and was as used to ranching as James was to refineries. James had the thought that if they built a large log home with a wing for Ana's mother, then the ranch manager could have their cabin thus saving a whole building on the site.

The sound of an approaching helicopter snapped him back to the present and he went out to help Leon if he could. In a matter of a couple of minutes Leon had the bird on the ground and shut down. Both doors opened and a man got out from one side and woman from the other. James walked over and said "Leon, I assume." And held out his hand for a shake.

"That would be me, and this is my wife Mary.

"We are so glad to meet you and thank you again for the business you have given us. You ready to unload and then hit the road, err, air?"

"You bet. Let's take what we can and go to the house and meet Ana. I doubt she will be surprised as I don't think you can sneak up on anyone with that thing. How about some coffee or a soft drink?"

Leon opted for coffee and so did his wife and as Ana came into the kitchen and was introduced to Leon and to Mary,

Leon told him that he thought that one more load for all of them should get it all and they could depart. He also told James that he really liked his ranch location and told him that he would show it to him from the air and really impress him with his purchase, but that he would need to see it after the thaw for a truly lasting impression of the mountains and valleys, and that they would get to see an awful lot of scenery after James and Ana got to flying their own bird. Leon told them that he had put their ground school books and some more information on the kitchen table for them. He told them they could give him a check for the starter materials when they got back to the office. James asked how much it was all going to cost and Leon said somewhere between $10,000 and $20,000 each depending on several variables. James told him that that was quite a spread and Leon told him that if their interest and excitement continued, it would go lots faster and would also be lots cheaper. The FAA requires a minimum of 40 hours' flight time per applicant to qualify for the final and their license, which usually meant at least two weeks per applicant as 4 hours' flight time a day was quite a bit, especially for a student. James asked if he owned his own bird if it would be any cheaper. Leon told him it would as then he would not have to pay the high rent of a school bird, just pay for the instructor's time plus fuel and maintenance. Something to think about but the amount quoted was acceptable to James also. Just should wait and see. Leon also said that they would both have to pass a FAA flight physical prior to being able to actually fly any and would have to have regular physicals as well. Both James and Ana told him that should not be a problem at all.

Leon told James to get into the copilot's seat and to not touch anything and to keep his feet off the peddles on the floor and that Mary could keep Ana entertained or vice versa on the trip South. They loaded up and donned headphones with microphones to be able to seal out the noise and to communicate with each other via intercom.

Leon started the engines and as soon as the blades were at the proper RPM they lifted off easily, banked and headed south over much of his land and then the vastness of the National Forrest that bordered his ranch on two sides. Ana said that she had never seen anything so majestic and James and Leon both agreed, saying it did tend to take one's breath away.

Thirty-five minutes later, they arrived at Leon's aviation company and after landing, they deplaned and went into the office. First James wrote Leon a check for $15,000. Leon looked at it and asked why that amount and James told him that they were going to finish quickly and would have their own bird and that Leon might owe him change soon and laughed. Leon handed the check to Mary and said he might just be right. Ana got a call from her mom saying she had been able to catch an earlier flight and would be there around 630 that evening.

James asked Leon where the mall was and after finding out the directions he took Ana by the hand and led her to the rental SUV and away they went to the mall. Once there, he led her to what looked to be the nicest store in the mall and took her over to the lady's dresses and said to pick out a nice one for herself to wear to the diner that evening. He also said that if she knew her mother's size to go ahead and pick one for her also, and to get shoes, hose, and underwear, too. He then told her that as all her clothes were at her old house to go ahead and buy enough underwear to last couple of weeks at least even though he had a washer and dryer. Ana blushed but agreed.

Next, they stopped by the food court for a bit of early lunch and then off to find the best quality air mattress they could find, one with its own automatic pump. Once that was found, they drove to the farm and outdoor store James had used and they went in to buy Ana and her mother some winter and ranch clothing and the other things on her list. Then the only thing left to do was go find a motel and book rooms for them and Ana's mother. James smiled and then asked her if she had any idea what they might do to while away a couple of hours waiting for her mother's plane to land. She surprised him by saying that she did know of something---a nice nap. She got one, although it was shorter than she had planned.

James sat the alarm on his cell phone for 5:00 and they went to sleep, knowing that an hour should surely be enough time to get to the airport and park and then find Ana's mother's terminal. Then rush back to the motel to change and then off to a restaurant for supper for themselves with Ana's mother and Leon and Mary as honored guests.

Knowing everyone would be exhausted they planned to sleep in for a bit the next morning. After checking and being told that check out time was 12 noon, they left wakeup calls for 1100. They would get up, check out, go eat, then go to Leon's and turn in the SUV and load up and let Leon fly them home.

And then they were at the airport.

"How long has it been since you have seen your mother?"

"Christmas would have been three years. Way to long but neither of us could comfortably afford plane tickets and time away so we just talked on the phone a lot. And yes, my mother and I are quite close."

"As it should be, and congratulations. Here we are, a nice parking spot right up front for a change. Maybe you are going to bring me good luck and I should go buy a lottery ticket."

A quick check of the status board told them that her mother's plane was on approach and should be on the ground in about 4 minutes, and at the terminal in 9 minutes, so they headed to the gate to wait for Ana's mother so she could be welcomed into her family and new circle of friends.

As the passengers deplaned, James kept looking at each to see if he could tell which one was his future mother in law. Shortly an attractive woman of about 50 came through the tunnel and upon seeing them a huge smile broke out on her face and she just beamed with pride and love and rushed towards them with her arms outstretched awaiting hugs.

"I take it this is your mother and not just another individual you attached yourself to out of the blue like you did me. Hi, Mom. Ana still had not told me what to call you, so it is still "Mom" for the time being. Welcome to the mountains and let me give you the sincerest and warmest welcome to your new extended family and my/our life. I think you will enjoy it. Now let's find your luggage and then go eat. I'm starving."

"See, Mom. I told you he keeps his priorities straight. He did say we would get your luggage prior to going to eat. Where are you taking us anyhow for this once in a lifetime special, Good Sir? Mickey Ds isn't going to cut it this time though.

"Oh, Ana! He is so precious and I can see that he is more than a match for you and your wit and temperament. This is going to be such an interesting relationship."

"Hold it! What do you mean by temperament? We have not made any commitment as yet so please answer the question and tell about more of her quirks, Mom."

"Now see what you have done, Mother. I have him roped but not tied yet and now you are trying to give him slack. We have to keep the pressure on until after he says I do and then starts doing."

If it wasn't for the look of merriment on Ana's and her mother's faces, James would have had thoughts of cancelling the dinner. It dawned on him that they were pulling his chain very hard and started to laugh. He told them they almost had him for a minute or two and that he believed that the old saying about "like mother, like daughter" was probably very apt here as both women were about to bust a gut to laugh. Ana leaned over and kissed one of James' cheeks and her mother kissed the other one.

"You are in so much trouble, Buster. Now about that celebratory dinner, Kind Sir."

"I thought I would talk to Leon as this is his town. I had kind of thought about either Texas Road House, Red Lobster, or Olive Garden, but then Leon may know of someplace better and more suited for a special dinner. None of those paces are really fancy enough for us tonight."

Once outside, James called Leon and asked about eating and Leon told him not to worry as he had reservations at a little place at the airport and to meet him at the office after they changed, which they rushed to the motel to do.

Ana and her mother went into the mother's room with the sacks of new clothes while James showered and shaved and then dressed in his finest clothes for the evening. Shortly Ana called the room and asked if he was ready to pick up two fine looking ladies for supper and he told them he would be right there to escort them to their function.

When he knocked on the door it opened almost before the sound of his knocking was quiet. Ana stood there in what could only be described as "the little black dress" except it was midnight blue and shimmered as she moved effortlessly about the room. The dress was open at the back making sure that everyone knew she was braless and did not need one. It was fairly short, stopping about 3 inches above the knees. He thought she was beyond beautiful not to mention sexy as Hell, too. When she asked him what he thought, he told her "Someone just polished a diamond".

Ana's mother's dress was a similar cut although a little longer and it had a back to it and was a shiny jet black. She looked beautiful tonight also and he told her so, causing him to get a quick kiss on the cheek and a small hug. She wore a huge smile as they left the room.

They pulled up in front of Leon and Mary's office and before James could get out of his SUV Leon and Mary came out of the office dressed much the same as James and the ladies were. All in all, they made a very attractive group. They quickly got into their car and told James to follow them to the restaurant and that it was not far at all and took off around the airport.

When they finally arrived at what looked like an old World War II round-top Quonset hanger with a small and slightly faded sign that simply said "Lunchroom" on it outside, James and Ana both thought they were way over dressed for such a place but would wait and see what happens. Once they opened the door everyone but Leon and Mary had their jaw drop and eyes bulge as the place was immaculate and softly lit in the dining area while brighter light illuminated the wall areas with a vintage biplane sitting in one corner and what looked like an old P-51 Mustang prop driven fighter in another. There were a few sturdy looking tables scattered around in a random pattern without organization, more of a hap hazard look that was probably designed to look just that way. Aircraft parts and memorabilia adorned the walls in a tasteful manner. Almost every table was filled with nicely dressed and professional looking people. James tugged at Leon's elbow and he asked him how he managed to get reservations at this place and that it looked fantastic. Leon simply said that he knew the owner and that the supper was on the house for their new friends so to order anything they desired as it was all wonderfully prepared by a world class chef that was also a part owner, ensuring his continued interest in the quality of the food and service. A gentleman James assumed to be the manager came over and shook hands with Leon and Mary and asked how the boss was that evening and if this was the special family party? When he was told that it was and that Mary was fine, they were seated in a private dining area and James looked at Leon and said "You know the owner, huh?"

Leon smiled and told him that he failed to mention just how well he knew the owner and that he had bought this old hanger at a tax sale years and years ago, and while it had been a lunchroom/plate lunch type facility at one time, he had planned on moving some machinery into it for storage. Mary looked at it and said she wanted to reopen the lunchroom. Leon said that all the industry that had kept the lunchroom going had deserted the area so he doubted she could make a decent living out of it. So, she came up with the idea of a supper club and made it happen on her own with very little help from him. She first hired a chef and brought him on board early so she could have his inputs on where things went and the different quantities of things to buy. And they were looking at the result. It had turned out to be quite popular and also quite profitable. And they had used a designer to do the location of the tables and the two airplanes and the other stage props they had,

A waitress came over to get their drink orders and bring menus telling them that tonight's surf and turf was excellent. When the drinks were served, the whole table ordered the Surf and Turf. As promised, it was excellent and cooked to perfection. James asked Mary if her chef might want to live on a ranch. She told him that he might but didn't think that James could afford him.

After supper, they opted for a cheesecake dessert for everyone and a glass of good port to celebrate the event and to bring to an end this busy but wonderful day. Leon and Mary again told James that the meal was on them but that James could leave the tip and after doing so, they all departed for home or motel, saying that they planned on being at the airport for the trip back to the ranch by about 12 or 1230 so the next day which was fine with Leon. Leon told Ana that this time she could ride up front to get the feel of it and that James could sit in the back and get acquainted with Ana's mother. Mary would be staying at the office to catch up on paperwork.

When they landed at the ranch the next day and got out, Ana grabbed James and said "That was so cool. I cannot wait until we start flying ourselves. I wasn't afraid after the first few minutes. I cannot believe how beautiful it all is. I am so excited"

James agreed with her and after unloading all their things from the helicopter Leon departed for home and a date night with Mary.

James and Ana took her mother (who finally told James her name was Ruth, but said she kind of liked being called Mom). James told her his own mother and family had been killed in an accident and now she was the only mother he had, so if she really did not mind, he would continue calling her Mom. With that Ruth came over and hugged James like there was no tomorrow and kissed him on the forehead. He told her that she was now in her new home and that they would discuss with her in a day or two what kinds of plans they needed to make about an additional house or two, counting one for the ranch manager.

They had all been settled in for a couple of weeks and plans had been made to build the larger log home for James and Ana and Ruth, and then give the cabin to the ranch manager when they got one. James called a prefabricated log home builder and ordered one from their list of available homes. It would be completed in the early summer. Until then they could manage just fine.

Life progressed at the Ranch. Winter raged on and on. Some days the whole world seemed to be white, then a bit of sun would break through and the UV rays would penetrate the snow and reflect off the pavement and melt the snow off the road even though it might be a foot deep on the road and 4 or 5 feet deep on the sides after the road had been plowed.

Ana and James completed the ground school required for their FAA Rotary Wing (Helicopter) pilot's licenses and leased a bird to use for their practical flying training. Being as there were two of them it took almost a month to find enough time when Leon could be free to be with them. Of course, the "solo" phase of the training went really well.

By the time their pilot's training was complete, Spring had occurred and new life was abundant in the mountains. New fawns with spots and young animals of all sorts could be seen quite often and in many places. James decided to go ahead and buy cattle as the market was down some at the moment and he wanted to take advantage of the fact before they went back up. He contacted the same cattle company that had worked with him last fall and after talking with their manager ordered 600 cows with either a calf by her side or one on the way. He also advertised for and then and hired a ranch manager who thought he could get by for the time being without any cowboys, but said that after inspecting all the fence and structures that could change and he could envision as many as 4 needed for a while. The ranch manager turned out to be not only an employee but he and his wife became close friends with everyone. James figured that he would have made a great rancher had he only had the money to buy enough land and cattle for a start. A shame, James thought, but James profited by him being there and decided to give him a small percentage of the profits. Only time would tell how it would all play out.

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Life Renewed Ch. 05

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 18 milliseconds