• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Ayakashi: Pt. 02

Ayakashi: Pt. 02

123

A/N: I keep telling people, this is not for the faint of heart. But they don't believe me, and they get sad when an animal gets squished. Everyone is above 18 though, for sanity's sake.

----------------------------

There is something very calming about late afternoons, thought Zuroh, as he closed his eyes and leaned against the tree trunk. The heat filtering through the leafy boughs, the dappled sunlight across the forest floor, the quiet hum of the trees sipping moisture from the roots... and importantly, the lack of human activity during this hour.

Most of the time.

Fingers already curled around his katana's hilt, Zuroh swept his arm upward just in time to hear the clang of metal greeting metal.

"The fuck," said Zuroh, opening his eyes, "do you think YOU ARE DOING?"

He deftly placed his other palm across the flat of his sword, and leaped onto his feet, effectively pushing his attacker backwards. His opponent stumbled, yet managed to stay standing, lowering his katana, so Zuroh took this as a chance to inspect his newest victim.

Zuroh was used to people trying to ambush him. Cocky ronin with stolen swords to disgruntled groups of peasants with sticks and torches, he knew them all- he was a mercenary after all. He had made a good number of enemies through his work- but a person's gotta eat. But he especially hated it when they tried to attack him when he was very obviously resting. It was rude.

The stranger wore no geta, and the ends of his trousers were frayed and dirty, just covering his ankles. The rest of his clothing were plain and travel-worn as well. By his height, maybe he was a teen, but Zuroh couldn't judge for sure as his face was partly obscured by the conical farmer's hat on his head. Finally, Zuroh noted the katana in his hand- a tsurugi- a double edged flat sword, with no guard. Nervous hands gripped the hilt, fingers drumming along the hilt, moving the sword ever so slightly so that the sunbeams danced across the well-polished blade.

Something was off about the whole thing, thought Zuroh. But did it matter?

He stepped forwards, with his sword still hanging loosely in his hand, and noticed that his opponent stepped back automatically as well.

"You disturb my rest to start a fight, and now you're shying away?" growled Zuroh. "You've got nerve, boy..."

The stranger kept quiet, but stood still, his sword still raised protectively above him. Zuroh kept walking, and sheathed his own sword, and saw the other person's posture relax.

So he doesn't actually want to fight, gathered Zuroh. And yet...

"I don't need my sword to kill," said Zuroh, swiping his hand down to grab his opponent's sword by the blade. The stranger gasped as Zuroh easily caught the blade, pulling it up to rest against the boy's neck. One move of Zuroh's arm, and the boy would be dead.

The boy's breath rose and fell calculatedly, as though acutely aware of the proximity of the edge of his own blade to his skin.

Zuroh himself was caught between curiosity and anger. This fool seemed too idiotic to be alive, yet the circumstances of this encounter was mystifying enough to warrant a pause; Zuroh mentally ran over the recent missions he had done, wondering if there was any connection to this situation...

"Teach me how to fight," whispered the person.

Zuroh was taken aback for a moment. "There are less foolish ways to ask for a request," he said quietly. "What will you give me in return?"

"Anything - anything you want," he replied, his voice trembling slightly.

"Anything? That means you have nothing to give. I won't teach you," said Zuroh finally.

"Why not?" asked the boy incredulously.

With his other hand, Zuroh knocked off the stranger's hat off his head.

"You're a fucking idiot, that's why,"replied Zuroh, looking down at the girl.

Her eyes widened in fear for a moment as she met his eyes. Collecting herself, she gazed back, pursing her lips, determined to persevere in this staring competition.

"I know about you," said the girl. "They say you'll do anything for the right price. I'm offering you anything you want in exchange- just try me!"

"Hmph," said Zuroh, releasing the blade and pushing her away. "Get out of my sight."

She stumbled, falling on her knees. "No!" she yelled, as he turned away, ignoring her. "No!"

He heard her scrambling, and out of the corner of his eye he saw the glint of metal swing towards his ankle, and hopped aside just in time, turning to see the girl getting up haggardly, swaying slightly.

"No!" she repeated, her voice breaking. She looked a bit unhinged."Are you- are you dismissing me because I'm a girl? I've survived when my village was razed to the ground- I'm tired of being swept aside- I want payback - "

Now Zuroh really didn't care, he had heard this story a thousand times already. Tales of revenge were boring and overdone, the world didn't need one more. Zuroh sighed internally, and gripped his second katana, the sharper and faster one he used for his one slash-kills.

"-I have nothing left to live for! I want to be like you!" she finished, driving the sword in her hands point blank towards Zuroh's abdomen.

Zuroh's body reacted before he could think, jumping backwards to avoid the stab. She has some skill after all, he realized, as he ducked down and swung upwards, hoping to hit her neck. She caught his upswing and countered it by sliding her blade down against his sword's ragged edge; it caught on one of the saw toothed grooves, and she managed to press enough leverage to lower it away from her face. She looked down on him, her sword unyielding, her eyes ablaze, her short hair flapping gently across her face in the light breeze.

Zuroh smiled slightly despite himself, and pulled his sword down vertically along the point of force she was pushing, sending her tumbling onto the ground again. Her sword slipped from her hands, so he grabbed her by her dominant arm, and pinned her onto the ground with his hands and knees.

"You want to be like me, huh?" asked Zuroh. "Then let me teach you what I do with bratty bitches like you."

He looked down at her, still struggling and wriggling beneath him, and fell upon her.

The arrow had just grazed his shoulder, embedding itself with a dull thunk into the trunk of the tree in front of them.

He let go of her, rolling over to the side. She also lay still, having noticed the arrow, and they both listened for the sounds of any movement.

Two ambushes in a day? thought Zuroh, annoyed. Now he'll have to leave this forest. And he was getting so comfortable here too.

First, he had to find out where the arrow was coming from. It was actually a very close call- if he had become more invested with that stupid girl that shot would've absolutely pierced his neck. The archers seemed to have realized that they had lost the element of surprise, and were probably and were probably holding on to their last advantage - location.

Now everyone was playing the waiting game. Someone has to lose, first.

The girl made a movement, as if to get up, and an arrow whizzed her way. She noticed just in time, rolling away from the arrow that had landed where her hand was a moment ago, and reached for her sword.

Three arrows flew her way, and five towards Zuroh. At least eight, estimated Zuroh, deflecting and dodging the shots. The girl had dived into one of the nearby bushes for cover.

Zuroh hated archers. He had some throwing knives, but they were in his bag currently. All he could hope to do was try to move to a clearer spot where they'll have to come out from hiding. Suddenly, he heard a yell- the girl must have found someone, or the other way around. Good for them , he thought, as he grabbed his bag and bolted the other way, out of the forest.

---------------------------------------------------

"It's so hot, isn't it, Su-chan?"

Chiyo looked out at the little lake at the edge of the forest. The shadow of the castle fell halfway across the lake, accentuating the contrast between the bright, twinkling blue water on one side against the muddy green hue on the other. Steam should be rising from it, it's so unbearably hot, she thought.

"What's the point of having a bedroom on the third floor atop a mountain if it's so damn hot?" she said aloud.

Suzu, her handmaiden, started fanning a bit more vigorously at her words.

"No, no, Su-chan, that won't do," said Chiyo, waving her hand at her. "I think... I just want to get out."

Suzu looked sadly at her, but continued fanning anyway.

"I mean I don't get the point of being here- yes, there is war, yes, it is dangerous, but is there any difference in me being here compared to, say, at Bunko-chan's place. It's not like her father is any less concerned about her safety than mine, is he?" she demanded, placing her folded arms upon the window bars. Suzu nodded, but Chiyo didn't look at her.

"And it's so boring here... no peddlers around, no traveling theater troupes, even the cook here doesn't know how to cook anything other than porridge," continued Chiyo. "It's been a month and I've read all the books twice already. And it's all boring stuff. I don't understand any of it."

Chiyo walked to her grooming chest. She knelt down and opened it, taking out a variety of hair pins and a mirror.

"Getting married sounds like a wonderful alternative then, right Su-chan? At least, I've have something to busy myself with." She lifted the bronze mirror up high, moving it to see the different angles of her face, then smiled as she caught Suzu sitting behind her, holding another mirror so she could see the back of her head. Su-chan is such a good girl, she thought.

"Maybe he likes ornate styles?" she said, fingering a golden, jeweled dragonfly pin. "He never seems to say much, but just looks and nods politely. Go crazy, Su-chan," added Chiyo, passing more pins. "Maybe if my hair looks like a walking forest he might be tempted to comment on it. I'm willing to settle for anything."

---------------------------------------------------

A few hours later, the castle gates creaked open, allowing a stream of men upon horseback and even more on foot. Each unit systematically headed towards their own barracks inside the castle grounds. A smaller group of men were allowed into the inner walls, right in front of the main keep.

Minamoto Takahiro got down from his horse. He had been riding for days, and wanted to just sink into a tub of cool water and fall asleep. Sleeping in a bed would be great, but he'd fall asleep in anything now.

The buildings doors opened as he approached. The constable and the chamberlain stood at the door, waiting with some other servants.

"Welcome back, Minamoto-sama," said the constable, bowing low. The others followed. "We received news of your great victory against the vassal of that traitor Genryuusai."

"Yes, thank you," said Takahiro, bowing his head in return. He tried to keep the tiredness from coloring his voice. "I also brought part of the things we won to this castle," he added, motioning behind him. "If you would please see to its proper arrangement..."

"Of course, my lord. Chiyo-sama is waiting to receive you inside," mentioned the chamberlain. "A servant will show you the way."

Oh Gods please let's get this over with, thought Takahiro. He smiled, and followed the servant down the corridor. Luckily the room was not far off. "Minamoto-sama wishes to enter," announced the servant.

"Come in," said a voice.

The servant pushed aside the sliding door to let him enter. Inside, Lady Chiyo, his fiancee, sat demurely with her handmaiden.

Whenever he saw her she seemed to be in a state of surprise, as if his presence was completely unexpected. This time, he was slightly startled by her- she seemed to have gone out of her way to place every single comb and pin available in her dressing box. Her face was heavily whitened, accentuating the red of her tiny, round, painted lips and her natural doe-eyed expression. The layers of brightly colored kimono enveloping her body made her appear a little more plump than usual. The little jewels and bells in her hair rang as she bowed low, gracefully rising up again to smile up at him.

Isn't that heavy? thought Takahiro, as he sat down to sit in seiza. "Good afternoon, Chiyo-sama. I hope to find you in good health?"

"My lord is kind to inquire about my affairs, when it is himself he should be concerned about. I am well, but you must be tired, Minamoto-sama," she said, with another bow.

I'm so not in the mood for having a bow-off with this girl now. He smiled in return, as she got up again, still not disturbing a single one of her ornaments from place. "Even then, weariness disappears when I am faced with your grace and kindness," he replied.

"You are again, too kind," said Chiyo, as she watched her handmaiden bring her the tea set. Takahiro also watched her, albeit a bit glumly- this would take time, it couldn't be rushed...

"My servants are preparing your bath and your quarters as we speak," she added. "Hence I thought some refreshments ease you a little. To tell the truth, you had arrived much earlier than we had calculated. I presume the journey was fair?"

"Yes, the sunny weather had really helped the last leg of our journey. The weather down here is much better than in the northern mountains," he said, watching her setting out sweets on a long, black lacquer plate.

"Please," she asked, motioning to the sweets. Takahiro did not like sweets, but he accepted one anyway, for courtesy's sake. Chiyo started making the tea, and they both sat in silence for a while.

"It is good that the weather has befitted you- this weather and this castle has not been kind to me. Whereas I am glad to be where I can receive and tend to your Lordship's needs, it becomes very... boring to stay inside the castle at all times." She set the cup in front of him.

"Thank you for making tea," said Takahiro, accepting it. She nodded, and he took a sip. "It is very good," he added. She smiled happily.

"I am sorry that you did not have the chance to go out. There is a beautiful forest ahead, great for hunting- I suppose you haven't been..?"

"No, this is my first time in this castle. Otou-san has not given me permission to go out without supervision."

"Then, I propose we go out for a little ride near the edge of the forest? I do not think Okubo-sama will mind. This is the least I can do for your hospitality."

"Oh!" she said, and became very quiet. "That would be very, very kind of you, Minamoto-sama," said Chiyo after a while.

Takahiro finished his cup and placed it on the low tea table. "Then I will see you a few hours later." A knock was heard on the door.

"Yes?" called out Chiyo.

"Minatomo-sama's quarters are ready," said the servant.

"Just in time," said Chiyo, smiling at him.

---------------------------------------------------

Chiyo had wisely decided to tone down on her makeup and clothes, opting for a simple one with a long overcoat instead. Her hair however, was still displaying most of her woodland menagerie.

"Chiyo-sama has a great sense of style," noted Takeshi, watching her mount her horse with the help of her servants. Takeshi was assigned to accompany him to this castle, since his commander was planning to go north again for another mission, and thought it easier to pick him up on the way then.

"I guess," said Takahiro. "I'm just bringing you along, Takeshi-san, because I trust you. I don't want something odd happening during such a simple journey."

"Yes, Minamoto-sama," said Takeshi, as they approached their horses. Takahiro mounted, and bought his horse close to hers.

"Are you comfortable?" he asked her.

"I've ridden side saddle a few times, so I suppose I will be fine if we're going at a brisk trot," she said. "No galloping, I hope."

"No, you'll miss all the sights then," said Takahiro. "Your horse will follow mine, and Takeshi-san will be following a bit behind us."

"Thank you again, for making this possible," she said. Takahiro smiled in return, and started riding out of the compound.

The three reached the forest after half and hour, when Takahiro paused to see how Chiyo was doing. Chiyo rode up to his side. "I'm fine, Minatomoto-sama. May I ride alongside you? We can talk that way."

"Of course," said Takahiro, slightly surprised.

Chiyo always came across to him as a loaded spring. Although she displayed the usual kind of restraint in her words and actions that was expected for a woman of her standing, he always felt she was someone who'd be more than happy to break loose. He tried to some homework on her, as he did for anyone he ever met- he asked around about her friends, her activities, her hobbies, her admirers, if any- and there was always some admirer for a woman at her age- but nothing. She seemed to lead the most boring life possible, while being as sweet and transparent as sugar water.

Takahiro had a hard time believing anyone was actually that innocent. He'd gone through enough in his short life to know that wasn't the case. It was just a matter of time, he believed, until everything came pouring out, and then he'd have her in his hands. She would eventually do it herself.

They talked, and it initially felt like playing a chess game- feeling each other out, and branching to the subjects that seemed alright to talk about. Takahiro saw that she seemed at ease on discussing about her life in the city with her friends. She seemed to be familiar with everyone, but instead of talking about them she would divert to the things she had done with them.

"You're a very active lady, Chiyo-sama," said Takahiro finally. "I see how staying here can be so suffocating for you. Why not invite some of your friends here? Although this is more of an army outpost, the lands around here are wonderful for sightseeing. Now we've also secured the area around this castle under Mitsutaka-sama's control, only a fool would attack."

"That is an idea, but unfortunately, all my friends are now married," said Chiyo with a sigh.

"All?"

"Yes. Otou-san has been very indulgent with me, putting off my marriage by my request. When my last friend Bunko-chan was married this spring, I had no more excuses. Otou-san mentioned that he had a suitor ready, and that's how we met."

"I see," said Takahiro. They rode silently for a while, listening to the birdsongs of the forest. "Are you happy to be getting married?" he asked.

"Of course!" said Chiyo immediately. "I apologize, Minamoto-sama, I did not mean to hurt your feelings. You are a wonderful and kind person, a man I'd be proud to marry-"

"Love develops after commitment in arranged marriages. It is alright if you feel another way; it will be my task to turn the tide in my favor," he said, not unkindly.

"I don't doubt it for a second," replied Chiyo. After a while, she added, "Besides, after reading the letters my friends sent me about their lives, I've thought about getting married. It sounds... interesting."

"Oh?" said Takahiro, smiling slightly. "What are these interesting things?"

"Oh these are- ladies' secrets, Minamoto-sama, you wouldn't like to hear about them..." The bells in her hair tinkled as though she was making a sudden sound, and Takahiro stole a glance at her. He saw that she was blushing red. Nope, there's something, finally... he thought.

"We shouldn't have secrets between us, Chiyo-sama. We're to be wed. And call me Takahiro-san, please," he added, looking straight forwards.

"Taka...hiro-san," said Chiyo slowly. "The kanji of 'taka' as... hawk?"

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Sci-Fi & Fantasy
  • /
  • Ayakashi: Pt. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 21 milliseconds