• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • In Black and White Ch. 02

In Black and White Ch. 02

123

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 7 - The Search Is On

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Friday, September 30th, from in front of City Hall. "Channel Two News has learned that the Town & County Police are searching for a missing County High School student! Priscilla Dejeune has not been seen since school let out yesterday afternoon!"

"Priscilla is the daughter of Bill and Audrey Dejeune, and she is an Honors student at County High School." said Bettina, as an inset picture of Priscilla appeared on the screen next to Bettina. "The Police are asking for your help in looking for Priscilla, and ask that any leads be phoned in to the TCPD hotline." A phone number appeared at the bottom of the screen, which was to the TCPD's hotline during emergencies like this.

"In other news," went on Bettina, "Town & County Councilpersons Kelly Carnes and Thomas Cook have demanded that Coach Grimes of BTW High School be suspended from coaching his team tonight against County High. The State High School Sports Association, or S-H-S-S-A, has declared that Coach Grimes has not been convicted of any crime, and insinuated that the charges against him are racially motivated. They have refused to act to suspend the coach."

"Meanwhile, Chief Moynahan of the Town & County Police has warned that his Officers will be ready to make arrests of any troublemakers at the football game tonight. Asked if his Police Force was making any special preparations for potential violence, Chief Moynahan said that his officers were well-trained to be prepared for any eventuality..." Bettina then gave way to Nick Eastwood, who talked about college football and the University Bulldogs's upcoming game.

"Who authorized the Police to ask for the Public's help on Priscilla?" I asked Cindy as we drank our coffee in the MCD room. "I'm not necessarily complaining, but it would be nice if I had been informed that was going to happen."

"Commander," said Cindy, "I am not trying to pass the buck here, but I don't know, either. I'll find out and let you know."

"Why didn't Bettina say anything about Benny Hill being missing?" asked Detective Theo Washington. His words hit me like a crowbar to the face.

"I don't know." I said as that realization, and its implications, set in. "And I will be calling Bettina to come correct on that."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 8:00am, as the Police were undergoing shift change, the 'Crowbar-level' team was in my office, watching the KSTD broadcast. Priya's news was almost identical to Bettina's: a blurb on Priscilla Dejeune, and some commentary on Coach Grimes suggesting race as the reason for the charges against him.

"In both Priya's and Bettina's broadcasts," I said to everyone, "what do you notice?"

"They're virtually identical, which is nothing new." said Lt. Teresa Croyle.

"And not one word about Benny Hill, as Theo pointed out earlier." said Lt. Wes 'Coldiron' Masters.

"Exactly!" I said. "Neither station said a word about Benny Hill, who is also missing. Captain Ross, who put that out about Priscilla?"

"I talked to Commander Harlow herself, sir." said Cindy. "She said it was no one in our Police Department, and she suspects Scott Peterson, who is now the Sheriff's Press Relations Officer. She's going to confirm that and get back to you on it."

"Hmmm..." I said. "Again, I don't mind that being done, but it was PDQ, if you ask me." Of course, 'PDQ" means 'pretty damn quick'.

"And again, only about Priscilla." said Cindy. "Not one word about Benny."

"Sir," said 'Coldiron', "speaking of these disappearances, we have nothing on either Dejeune or Hill. Hill's car was found in that strip mall lot you suggested Precinct 2 look into. Priscilla's cell phone was found last night, in a trash dumpster on the north side of Town, not too far from Town Fitness Centers. No camera coverage of that area, unfortunately."

I nodded. "That's enough for me to go to the FBI now, instead of waiting."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hi Don." said FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone as he came into my office at 9:30am. "So you're calling in the FBI on this?"

"Yes." I said. "It's not quite 24 hours, but with all the implications of Benny Hill being missing and the obvious evidence that something is wrong, I'm jumping the gun just a little bit."

"That's a good thing, actually." said Muscone. "U.S. Senator Samuel Russell has called the FBI offices three times already, and he's on his way here now. Apparently the Dejeunes are friends of his, or maybe supporters, and he wants immediate action."

"Sheesh." I said. "Well, what's going to happen now?"

"You keep looking locally." said Muscone. "Clark Webster's Missing Persons team in the City is on the way, and my boss will likely walk in at some point in time. Webster knows not to fuck with you, by the way, so if he's non-cooperative, just let me know."

"Thanks." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Things began heating up rapidly. At 11:00am, the Dejeunes came to Headquarters, accompanied by Reverend Dr. T. Alford Martin, head pastor of First United Methodist Church. They were also accompanied by Charles Macland. He was in his forties, tall and slim with brown hair, and he was the Dejeunes's business lawyer as well as personal friend. He lived in the City, where he had a thriving legal firm. One distinction about him was that he always wore three-piece suits, i.e. he always wore a vest as part of his attire.

Not long afterward, U.S. Senator Samuel Russell came in with his entourage of fawning sycophants. State Senator Katherine Woodburn was also there as part of his group, despite them being of opposite political parties. And FBI Special Agent in Charge Clark Webster came in with his FBI Agents that I remembered from the 'Point Hollow' case... and I was glad that my Officers were on the job looking for these kids: woe betide their safety if those mindless robots were their only hope.

"Mr. and Mrs. Dejeune," I said, going to the front lobby, "why don't you come to the Pastor's Room?" The Pastor's Room was a small converted breakroom near the side entrance where we Officers came in from the gated parking lot. It had two unisex bathrooms, a water fountain, vending machines, television and plenty of chairs. It was where the Chaplains could meet with families or Officers, and it kept the family away from the Press.

"Everyone who wishes to join the family in the Pastor's Room needs to sign in and get a visitor's badge." I said. As I turned to go, Katherine Woodburn's harsh voice called out.

"Surely Senator Russell needs no visitor badge, Commander." she said. I turned and looked at her, then at Senator Russell.

"Everyone who is not a Town & County Police Officer, Sergeant." I said to the Duty Desk Sergeant. "And absolutely no members of the Press." With that, I went back behind the Duty Desk and stalked down the hallway.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I knew it would not be long, and soon my assistant Helena was buzzing me. "Sir, the Chief has asked you to come to his office." she said.

"On my way." I said. As I went out, I looked over at Helena. She was wearing a tasteful dress with a skirt that went just below her knees, and high heel pumps. She looked elegant and gorgeous, and I had to take my mind off of sexy thoughts about her and concentrate on the much-less-sexy business at hand.

The Chief's assistant had me go straight into the small conference room, so I knocked on the door and went in. Inside was the Chief, who looked like he needed rescuing from two politicians.

"Have you met Senator Russell, Commander?" asked Katherine as I closed the door behind me.

"No, I have not." I said, shaking the U.S. Senator's outstretched hand. "Senator."

"Yes, I finally get to meet the Iron Crowbar." said Russell. "I heard all about your successes this past summer." He was an imposing man, almost as tall as myself but not as broad-shouldered, and he had that air of authority befitting someone of his prestigious level of United States Senator. But I did not feel that aura of sheer power that the FBI Deputy Director had, and that I might be known to project at times.

"Everyone, please have a seat." said Chief Moynahan as I politely shook Katherine's hand. We all sat down, the Chief at the end, me to his left, and the Senators on the other side, their backs to the door.

"The Dejeunes are longtime friends of mine, Chief." said Senator Russell. "I share their deep concern over their daughter's disappearance. So what are you doing about it, so far?"

"Senator Russell was asking if you had contacted the FBI, Commander." said Moynahan.

"Yes, Chief, I have." I said. "Special Agent Clark Webster, who came in with your entourage, is being briefed by my Officers now."

"Good." said Russell. "They're a good Missing Persons team, and I have great faith in Special Agent Webster's abilities. I'd like for the FBI to take over the investigation of Ms. Dejeune's disappearance."

"Senator," I said, "we have not one but two missing teenagers, and we're working with the FBI on both cases. We're working jointly with them to find both these kids as quickly as possible."

"I'm sure your officers are diligent," said Russell, "but the FBI has resources available to them that local police don't have. And they're experts in solving these types of cases."

Seeing the slightest bit of flushing on the back of my neck, Chief Moynahan said "The Iron Crowbar and his Officers are pretty expert in solving many crimes, as well, Senator. Including a recent missing persons case where murder was involved."

"Yes, but it was the FBI who found most of those students, and out of State." said Katherine Woodburn.

"If Ms. Dejeune is now out of the State," I said, "then there is little I can do. But if she, and Mr. Hill, are still here in the County somewhere, then who better than my Police Force to find them?"

"I know of your reputation, Commander," said Senator Russell, "but I'm sure you agree that the FBI would be the better choice, here."

"No, I do not agree." I said, letting some 'authority' creep into my voice. "The FBI does not know the terrain and the streets of this County better than I do, nor my Officers. They do not know the people, the contacts, the confidential informants, as well as we do. A cooperative effort between the TCPD and our FBI friends will work best. And while the FBI is there if State lines were crossed, the TCPD will continue working this case on the local level.

The United States Senator was not used to being responded to in this fashion. His eyes glanced over to the Chief.

"You heard the Iron Crowbar, Senator." Moynahan said in reply to the glance. "He is the very best, and if those kids are in the County, he is their very best hope."

"Who runs this Police Department, Chief Moynahan?" Katherine Woodburn asked, acid in her voice, attempting to humiliate the Chief in front of the U.S. Senator, and me.

"The Iron Crowbar does, Senator Woodburn." said Chief Moynahan with alacrity, not even playing her game. "I just run interference for him with politicians who think they know better than him, but in reality do not. You know the Iron Crowbar's record of success as well as I do, Ms. Woodburn. I would be a fool to impede him in any way... as would you."

"Thank you, Chief." I said, getting up. "And speaking of running this Police Force, I'm going to go check on their progress right now, if you'll excuse me." The Chief nodded, and not waiting for further word, I exited the conference room.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went to the Main Conference Room and entered. Inside were Captain Ross and Special Agents in Charge Jack Muscone and Clark Webster. One look at Cindy's ruggedly pretty face told me all I needed to know about how this meeting was going.

"Welcome, Commander." she said. "I was just trying to get Special Agent Webster up to speed on our investigation." The 'trying to' part of her words spoke volumes.

"Oh, let's not twist our words trying to be nice about it." I replied, sitting down. "Mr. Webster here is trying to take over the case, and is not respecting the abilities of the Town & County Police Force. I would add that he is under severe pressure from U.S. Senator Russell, who is sticking his Senatorial nose where it does not belong."

"Four hundred years ago..." said Jack Muscone, trying not to laugh. Webster's face was turning red.

"We're not disrespecting you nor your Police Force, Commander." said Webster. "But yes, I have a United States Senator crawling up my ass about this, and time is of the essence in finding Ms. Dejeune."

"And what about Benny Hill?" I asked.

"Oh... yes, him too."

Cindy's voice cut in: "Agent Webster has not been very interested in being briefed about Benny Hill, Commander." It was nothing less than an accusation.

"Well, you better get interested, Mr. Webster." I said. "While I have every desire to find Priscilla Dejeune alive and well, finding Benny Hill may be far more important in keeping people in this County safe from potential riots."

"What?" Webster asked sardonically. "Are you kidding me?"

"No, he's not." said Jack Muscone. "Racial tensions are already high over Benny's disappearance and the legal treatment of Coach Grimes. This is where local LEOs like the Iron Crowbar know their people better than we do, Clark. He's not kidding; finding Benny Hill is extremely important."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I went into the Pastor's Room, with Detective Joanne Cummings Warner in tow. I saw that Mrs. Williams of the Senior Citizens 'Crowbar Crew' was there; she knew the Dejeunes through the Methodist Church.

"Ah, hello, Mrs. Williams." I said, shaking her hand. "I hope you're doing well."

"Why thank you, Commander," said Mrs. Williams, "and I hope you and your family are doing well, also. Such a sad time right now, however."

"Yes," I said, sitting down next to Charles Macland, across from the Dejeunes. "I came to tell you what is going on, so far. The FBI is now involved, so we have their tremendous resources available to us. Unfortunately, there is nothing new to report since we found Priscilla's cellphone."

"The FBI?" asked Macland. "Do you think she's been taken out of the State?"

"I don't know." I said. "But it's customary to bring the FBI into Missing Persons cases. They can look across State lines, and like I said, they have resources and expertise in their Missing Persons Bureaus. They usually don't come in for 24 hours, but because of my relationship with them, I've gotten them to get an early start on your daughter's case." The Dejeunes nodded, trying to hold out hope.

"Mr. Macland," I asked, "you are the family lawyer?"

"Yes, but I'm here as a personal friend." said Macland.

"Let me speak with you in the hall for a moment." I said. He followed me into the hallway.

"Sir," I asked, "as their attorney as well as their friend, have you heard of any threat to them, or to their daughter?"

"No sir." said Macland. "They've said nothing, and there's been no problem that I know of with their businesses. I'm mostly a real estate and contract law attorney, but they've said nothing on a personal level, either."

"Okay, thank you." I said. "If you do hear anything, please let me know immediately."

"I will." he said. As I was about to walk away, Macland said "Commander, I didn't want to say this in front of the family, but... the more time that goes on without finding her, the chances of her being found go down, don't they?"

"Oh, we'll find her eventually." I said. "The urgency is in finding her alive. If she's being held and has no water, we've got two to three days left, at most. I'm hoping we'll find her sooner than that." I went down the hall as Macland returned to the Pastor's Room.

Part 8 - Political Machinations

"All right, what do we have?" I asked. I was in the secure basement areas with the Mouseketeers, they being Myron and Mary Milton, and Detective David Krueger. No interfering politicians could come down here, to my great relief.

"Nothing, sir." said Mary. "Sandra Speer of the FBI is also working it from their end. Since finding Benny's car and Pricilla's cellphone, we don't have much of anything. There have been no ransom demands to the Dejeunes, and no contacts with BTW High School, who we'd expect to be called regarding Benny."

"Krueger, what's the gambling line on the game?" I asked.

"Still County High minus three points." said Krueger. "Even game with County getting home field advantage of three points. However, the bookies are still not touching this one. If Hill shows up, BTW would be favored; if not, it's probably about right where it is now. But because of his disappearance, this game has been taken off the boards."

Just then, Captain Cindy Ross appeared in the room. "Sir," she said, "I just got word from the Courthouse that an injunction was filed to stop Coach Grimes from coaching in tonight's game. Judge Folsom gave the case to Judge Watts, who squashed it like a bug."

"Who represented the Prosecution?" I asked.

"Krasney himself." said Cindy. "Thomas P. Cook and Kelly Carnes were sitting right behind him in the Courtroom, too, and it's believed they pushed Krasney to file the injunction. There were no defense attorneys present; Bernadette Gillem has filed a complaint that she was not notified of the hearing."

"Hoo boy, this is going to get ugly." I said. "Okay guys, let me know if you hear anything. Captain Ross, let's go to my office.

We made our way upstairs, and once inside my office I took out the bug-killer and activated it. "Cindy," I said, "I want you to tell Jenna Stiles what happened this morning. I want her to be able to use Krasney's end-run against him. Not letting the defense know is what 'Miami Vice' would call 'major uncool'."

Cindy smiled, and it was not a good smile to see. "I will be sure to do that, sir." she said with some passion in her voice. "By the way, Jack Muscone asked me to leave the meeting with him and Webster. I think a one-way conversation might have taken place once I left."

"Good." I said. "One more thing: I want you to get Krueger to check out the Dejeunes themselves, as well as Mr. Macland and any other friends visiting them... well, maybe not Mrs. Williams, but you get the gist of what I want. It may come to nothing, but I am simply out of leads and ideas.

"No problem." said Cindy. "That Macland guy... he gave me a vibe."

"The tried-and-true 'smarmy' vibe?" I asked with a grin. Cindy nodded vigorously in agreement... and did not smile...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I made a rare appearance in Classroom 'C', which was the Vice Squad's meeting room. Inside, Lt. Teresa Croyle had SWAT Team leaders and Uniformed Sergeants from all the Precincts. I sat down in a chair against the far wall and just listened as she briefed them on the Police Force's strategy for security at the football game.

After she finished, she said "Commander, is there anything else?"

"It's an excellent plan." I said. "I would like you to add one small contingency to it: have some armored Uniformed Officers, not SWAT, but regular Officers with armor under their shirts and over their shirts, to be ready to be on the sidelines and the football field if needed... during the game."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • In Black and White Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 97 milliseconds