• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Wolf's Girl Ch. 02

Wolf's Girl Ch. 02

1234567

The conclusion to Wolf's Girl – I hope it was worth the wait. ;)

Note: This work contains characters who happen to be werewolves. The sex is human only.

-OM

—————

Giles walked toward the glow of the campfires. The Alaskan night was cool but still summer weather. He breathed in deeply, enjoying the pleasant smell of wood turning to embers. They were fortunate tonight — the aurora above illuminated the sky in iridescent blues and greens. He'd lived here his entire life, but he would never tire of watching the heavens on a clear night. Giles was never more contented than when he was out in the wilderness. He just wished he was out here by himself.

The clandestine gathering of werewolves and their kin was well-hidden. It took place on private land, miles from the nearest road and far from the regular flight paths. Everyone had traveled for hours to be here. Seven figures sat on tree stumps in a semi-circle around the main fire. Giles would make the eighth. A crowd of people gathered beyond this inner circle. Tonight's turnout was pretty good, he thought. He guessed there were about forty altogether.

Those seated by the fire varied by appearance and age, though most were in their thirties or older. What they all shared was a certain inhuman presence, something in the expression on each person's face that betrayed their wild nature. The look varied according to the individual: intense, serenely powerful, cunning, fierce, or in Giles' case – dominating.

He was by far the largest person present. His towering frame and muscled hulk dwarfed those on either side of him. Right now, he didn't even have his usual charm to offset his intimidating appearance. His golden yellow eyes peered out from a scruffy face with several days growth. He most definitely did not want to be here tonight, but you only missed a pack meeting if you were sick or dead. He chose to show up and just get the damned thing over with.

A tanned man, thirtyish, with pale blond hair and humorless ice blue eyes turned his attention to the late arrival. "Giles. Glad you could join us." Seated next to him on the ground and holding his knee was a lovely brunette woman, very obviously pregnant. The man's possessive and public display of his mate was entirely within his rights, but Giles found it sort of tacky.

Giles grunted. "Ryan." The two of them had clashed several times over the years, mostly over trivial things. Still, they were part of the same grand pack, and in theory, they had the same goals. If necessary, they would both fight to the death to defend the other from external threats. Giles frowned as he noted an empty seat next to Ryan. "Where's George?"

"George is sick. In fact, that's our first order of business tonight. Please," Ryan said, gesturing at the open seat near the fire.

Giles sat down. He had a slightly sick feeling in his stomach, and it wasn't from the amount of whiskey he'd downed just before his arrival. With his size and werewolf constitution, it was hard for him to get drunk. Right now he had a pleasant buzz that would probably wear off in an hour or so, long enough to get through the meeting.

Ryan waited until all eyes were on him, then addressed the crowd, "Since our time is short, I'll get straight to the point. As most of you know by now, our Alpha's health has taken a turn for the worse." Ryan paused. "He is not expected to recover."

Giles winced as he closed his eyes. Damn. He made a mental note to visit the old leader soon. The Alpha — former Alpha — was a 102 year old Iñupiat who looked like he was in his 70s or 80s. He was the oldest living werewolf Giles had ever heard of. This was mostly a time of peace among werewolves, but many still died younger, falling in conflict with others of their kind or to outside threats. Conflicts with other supernatural creatures were rare. They usually weren't stupid enough to show themselves to their ancient enemies. Some doubted things like vampires even existed any more. More dangerous were the isolated humans who believed in the supernatural and who were bold enough to hunt them.

"And while we will mourn the loss of a great man and a great wolf, we must have a leader. I've spoken to him and he approves of my taking over the pack." A few people in the crowd murmured but most remained respectfully silent.

Giles shot a sharp look at Ryan. "You can't just wait to make your power play? Show some goddamn respect. Nobody else on the council gives a fuck about being the big alpha anyway. Job's yours whenever you want it."

Ryan fixed Giles with a look. "I'll pretend that outburst didn't happen, for your sake. I know George is your friend. He's my friend too. I do care about him. I also care about this pack. Without leadership, we're in danger." He fixed Giles with a hard, serious look. "Do you intend to challenge me?"

Giles fixed Ryan with a steady look. He would love to challenge him. Hell, he'd love the chance to punch the arrogant prick's face just once. But winning a challenge against him would mean taking on the responsibility of being Alpha. Giles just wanted to be left alone. The only reason he even sat at the inner circle was because he had kin under his protection and there were no other werewolves from his area. "No."

Ryan scanned the faces of everyone in the circle. "Does anyone else have objections?"

Giles glanced at Marian, his next closest friend on the council. She was a thin, business-like woman in her fifties with cream skin and short, snowy white hair. A doctor in her human life, she was always calm, level-headed, and had good advice. She'd do fine as a pack leader. Marian returned his look with a faint shake of her head. Not me. Giles sighed in disappointment.

"It's settled then," Ryan asserted. "I officially accept the duties and responsibilities of the Alpha. We can take care of formalities another time."

Another time. Yeah, like sometime after the current Alpha was actually dead. Giles zoned in and out as more business was discussed. Wolves and kin brought their concerns to the council and the council sorted them out as best they could. One group wanted clarification of territorial boundaries that included a river. A young kin couple asked for permission to marry. The rest were simply there to visit and check in. Summer meetings were always more productive. Winter was a time for family, not business. As the night wore on, people began to break up into small groups. Some retired to their tents and sleeping bags.

Someone cleared their throat. Giles suddenly realized it was meant for him. He looked up.

Ryan asked, "Are we expecting any threats from the pack you dealt with in California?"

Giles shook his head. "I doubt it. They allowed me honorable combat with the one who survived the attack on Connor." Giles felt the combat had been anything but honorable — it was more like an execution. The surviving attacker was just a twenty year old kid, still wounded. He took no joy in it, just the satisfaction of closure. And justice. "It's been months. If anyone was going to retaliate for his death, they would have done it by now."

"I see," Ryan answered. "And the kin who was responsible for this conflict in the first place, not to mention the loss of one of our own – what was her punishment?"

Giles scowled at him. "It wasn't her fault she was attacked. Hell, if anyone's responsible, it's me. I was the one who encouraged her father to let her leave. You want to punish me? Go right ahead." He glared at Ryan, daring him.

In response, Ryan slowly stood up. He lowered his voice dangerously and declared, "Don't make my first act as alpha be making an example of you. I won't be running things quite so... philosophically... as our last leader did. I don't mind constructive disagreements but I won't tolerate disrespect. I also won't tolerate wolves who can't control their kin." Ryan gestured to the tents and and camps just beyond. "Are any of yours even here tonight?"

"They're busy." Giles continued to glare at him. Well, it was true. He had also not wanted to bring everyone up here, not when his sister's family still wasn't speaking to Carson's. Maybe he'd encourage them to come next year, when everyone had had time to move on from their loss.

Ryan straightened up and sniffed. "If you won't punish her, at least get her in line. Or I will."

Giles bared his teeth in a terrible snarl and jumped to his feet. "You won't touch her."

A middle-aged black man seated at his side jumped up at the same time and grabbed his arm. Michael had keen golden-yellow eyes, much like Giles'. The two of them weren't close but they understood one another. "Don't. Not unless you're serious." Giles met Michael's gaze just briefly. The two of them shared a resigned look that said 'yeah, he's an asshole'.

"Oh?" Ryan asked, almost casually. "And why not?" He ignored David's intervention.

Giles fumed. His nostrils flared. Because she's mine! He very nearly said the words. His heart pounded with anger and nervousness. No, he wouldn't claim her, not like this. "Because she already wants to do the right thing. I'll help her find someone."

"And what about you?" Ryan asked. "As the alpha of your line, you've been very late in exercising your rights. This girl's mother should have been your mate, as I understand."

Giles narrowed his eyes. Who had Ryan been talking to? He wasn't usually this well-informed and Ryan wasn't around for that part of his history. "My best friend was in love with her. I wasn't. I don't see what that has to do with anything."

Ryan shrugged one shoulder. "So take the girl, if she's suitable."

Giles clenched his fist and stared him down. Talking about Macks as some kind of object, a mere commodity, infuriated him. He rubbed his mouth and laughed once. "Do you even hear how you sound? This ain't the fuckin' Dark Ages. You don't just claim people like that any more. You go on dates an' shit. Besides, she's a nineteen year old girl, fer chrissakes, less'n half my age." He looked away, flustered, afraid they'd see the truth in his face; that he'd already mated her. "Just give her some time. Give me time."

Marian, still seated calmly on her tree stump, finally spoke up. She had a soft, hoarse voice that she could use to defuse arguments when she wanted to. "It's not such a bad idea. Her bloodline is strong and it's very likely she'll produce at least one wolf. If she holds any attraction for you, you may wish to make your claim before someone else does." She sighed. "I'm sorry to be the one to remind you, Giles, but your inaction does weaken our pack. Choosing a mate, any mate, will help you take on more of a leadership role at home. Not to mention, our numbers are the lowest they've been in fifty years. Believe me, I should know. I'm the one who keeps track of these sorts of things."

Giles shifted his stance from one foot to the other and turned his frown in the direction of the trees. "You know I have my reasons."

Michael shook his head and resumed his seat. "We're werewolves, Giles. Every one of us has personal demons. That's no excuse. I have to agree with Marian. We have very good reasons for our traditions."

"C'mon." Giles huffed his answer. He just wished they would move on to another subject. Just... shut up about Macks. Shut up about his not having a mate. "There's no law that says I gotta have kids. I do my part. I've put my life on the line for this pack, for all of you. I'm always the first to answer a call to defend. Are any of you going to deny that?"

Marian asked, "And when you're gone? Who will answer those calls then? Who will protect your kin from outsiders?"

Giles sucked in one cheek and looked away.

Ryan cleared his throat. "Whatever your choice, make it soon. I'm losing patience." He put on a feral grin and said, "Now, I don't know about all of you, but I'm starving. Let's set aside our conflicts for now. We are one pack. Time to hunt."

The rest of the group shared eager, hungry looks. Some began to smile. Pack hunts were rare, sacred. The council casually shed their clothing right there at the campfire. Leaving the clothes here would keep them nice and warm for when they returned.

One by one, their bodies transformed. Ryan went first. The expression in his pale blue eyes lit with terrible fire. His face grotesquely lengthened until it formed a wolfish snout and his ears stretched into points. At the same time, arctic white fur began to cover his entire body.

As everyone around him changed, even Giles let go. He rolled his shoulders back, released a deep breath, and lost himself to the pain and freedom of the change. He welcomed the way his his limbs stretched and joints popped. He appreciated the comforting familiarity of the gray fur that grew over him. Giles threw his head back and joined the others in a primal howl.

—————

Mack tried not to think about Giles. Nine days went by without his presence but her thoughts always drifted back to him. By night, she touched her own body as she recalled their single, blissful afternoon together. In her thoughts, she was still in his bed with his strong, warm body on top of her. Together, they stayed cocooned in comfortable darkness within the sheets. If she let herself, she could still recall the roughness of his chin, the solid warmth of his cock rubbing against her thigh. She still knew the taste of his tenderly exploring tongue. By day, the thought of not being with him again filled her with a longing ache, but there was also acceptance. She couldn't fault him for sending her away. This emotional mess was entirely her fault. She'd have to get herself out of it.

"How's it coming in here?" her mother asked. The sound of her mother's voice woke Mack from her thoughts. Mack suddenly remembered she was in the middle of painting a wall.

"Great," Mack answered, forcing an upbeat lilt into her voice. She resumed her task and continued painting a patch where gray primer still showed through. "I should be done with the walls tomorrow. I'll get to the furniture this weekend. I really appreciate you guys letting me do this, by the way."

"We're glad to, sweetie. Your room needed an update." Her mom smiled and folded her arms. "It's looking good. You were right about the yellow. Will you have time to help me with dinner in a little while?"

"Sure, no problem." Mack nodded, then returned her attention to the wall. She failed to notice how her mother carefully watched her expression.

"You miss him. Don't you?" Andrea asked quietly.

"What?" Mack glanced quickly at her mother, blinking with wide eyes.

"Connor. I know you two weren't perfect together but you were pretty close."

Oh, right. Connor. She guiltily realized she hadn't thought of him in weeks. Mack pressed her lips together. "Yes, he was a good friend."

Andrea was quiet for a while, then added softly, "It gets easier, I promise. You never forget the ones who part from us but, eventually, you do learn to remember them without the pain. Or at least, the pain won't be so raw."

Mack's gaze flickered to her mother's face. She knew her mother had lost close family members, people who had passed on before Mack was born, but hadn't considered how deep her feelings still were. It's not something her mother had really discussed. Andrea had no idea what really consumed her daughter's thoughts, yet her advice was surprisingly appropriate. "Thanks, Mom."

They heard the garage door close and heavy footsteps coming up the stairs. A few moments later, Mack's father stood in the doorway to her room.

"Hey, Dad." Mack gave him an upward nod.

"Hey, there." Carson answered. He also gave Andrea a quick squeeze around the waist and a kiss on the cheek.

Andrea smiled at her husband. "You're in a good mood. The meeting went well?"

"I think so. I'll tell you all about it later." Carson then peered into Mack's room and glanced around. "Lookin' good, kiddo. You did a nice job."

"Thanks. I'm happy with the way it's turning out." Mack continued to paint as her parents spoke.

"Have you seen Giles?" Andrea asked Carson. "The pack meeting was over a week ago. I'm starting to worry about him. I'd at least like to know if I should set an extra place for dinner."

"No, not tonight." Carson studied a section of wall near the door frame, examining the paint job. "He stopped by the office and left a message, something about work that's keeping him busy. We'll see him soon, I'm sure. He has to wash his clothes sometime."

Andrea frowned. "Why would he go all the way to your office instead of coming here? That's another twelve miles."

"No idea. Maybe he was in town to pick up supplies?" Carson lowered his voice and added, "He could be in another one of his moods."

Andrea twisted her mouth. "You should probably go check on him."

"I will." Carson gave his wife a reassuring smile and touched her cheek.

Mack kept her head down but glanced between her parents. Giles had moods? She'd only ever seen him easygoing, calm, and sensible. Mack made a mental note to check on Giles herself. She bit her lip and concentrated on painting the wall.

—————

The next day, Mack took the long way home from her volunteer job. Instead of heading straight back to town, she took a thirty mile detour. It was late afternoon by the time she turned down the dirt road to Giles' cabin.

Even before she was halfway up his drive, she spotted Giles stepping out onto the porch. He leaned against a post and watched her truck. Mack pulled up in front and stopped. With her hands still on the wheel, she took a deep breath. She couldn't help but feel that Giles looked slightly off. She detected a doleful expression in his eyes.

Mack stepped out, shut the truck door, and attempted a smile. She tucked her hands behind her, locking her thumbs into the waistband. "Hey." She added quickly, "I'm not here to seduce you."

Giles allowed himself a faint smile. "Hey, Macks."

Looking at his big, huggable chest was difficult for her, so she let her gaze wander elsewhere. "I'm not pregnant either." It was hard for her to completely conceal the disappointment she felt at that statement.

Something flickered in Giles' expression. He set his jaw and nodded. "Good." Clearing his throat, he asked, "So, um, what brings you out here?"

Mack let her shoulders drop and sighed. "You have to come back. Everything has to go back to normal. The longer you stay away, the more suspicious it is. My parents are starting to worry about you. In fact, I shouldn't stay long, just in case my dad decides to drive out here today." Mack glanced back to the road. She found it hard to meet his gaze. The look in his eyes just seemed so... broken. God, she really had fucked things up.

"Macks, I..." Giles didn't know what to say. He swallowed once and shook his head. How could things go back to normal? How could he sit there and eat dinner at the family table and pretend everything was normal? He was a piece of shit. He'd secretly fucked his best friend's daughter and there was no taking that back. It didn't matter how it happened. He still made that choice. And here she was, even now trying to fix his mistake.

Mack pleaded gently. "Please? We can just... pretend nothing ever happened, like you said. Besides, I— we all miss having you around. The house is pretty boring without you."

Giles lost himself in her big blue-green eyes. She always looked at him with an adoration he didn't deserve. Right now her expression pleaded with him for comfort. He wanted nothing more than to hold her right now, tell her everything would be okay.

"For me?" she asked.

Giles smiled just a little, but enough to make the faint lines at the corners of his eyes crinkle. "I'll think about it."

Mack smiled back at him fondly. "Okay."

1234567
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Romance
  • /
  • Wolf's Girl Ch. 02

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 16 milliseconds