• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Incest/Taboo
  • /
  • Women's Work Ch. 03

Women's Work Ch. 03

123

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 15 - Closing In

"Well, Mrs. Burke," I said as I came into Interrogation-1 of County Jail at 2:00am, Wednesday, April 13th, dressed in my 'black' uniform. "So nice to see you again."

"And you, Commander." said Eleanor Burke, her sarcasm matching mine with equal exactitude.

"So," I said, "how did you escape from State Women's Prison?"

"Why should I tell you?" Eleanor said. "I might want to try it again."

"I don't think you're going to get the chance." I said. "Senator Langdon's little Prostitute Parties aren't all the rage they used to be. That is how you and the other ladies got out, isn't it?"

"Of course, Commander. Not much gets by you." Eleanor said. "By the way, your sister is a remarkably intelligent woman. I was very impressed by her. Much more of a credit to your family name than you are, I might add."

"I couldn't agree more." I said facetiously. "So why were we finding you separated from your group, and all alone? And please don't tell me you were just out getting some fresh air."

"No, I won't insult your intelligence there." said Eleanor. "I was trying to get into your house so I could kill you and your wife."

"Good thing you were caught outside." I said, then let my joviality drop considerably. "My wife is very protective of our children. She'd have blown you away before you could blink twice. So why not stick with your group, and come after me and my wife later?"

"We escaped prison together." Eleanor said. "That's all. I have no obligation to the rest of them, and we're not really a group."

"Nice try, Mrs. Burke." I said. "What's the real situation here? And I'm trying to catch them and keep them alive before they're caught by others that wish to do them considerable harm. Help me out on that, won't you?"

"I gave your Officers the safehouse address." said Eleanor. "That's all I know. I don't even know what your sister's grand plan is. I had the distinct feeling... that I was nothing more than the bait."

"And perhaps that is what you are now?" I asked.

"I doubt it." Eleanor said. "The bank robbery and the Civic Center heist were planned and practiced first. We hadn't talked about, much less practiced, anything since we got here, to this County. Whatever your sister is planning... it's not operational yet."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

5:00am, Wednesday, April 13th. We were in the Main Conference Room of Police Headquarters. Present and drinking coffee were Chief Moynahan, myself, Deputy Chief Della Harlow, Captain Cindy Ross, Lieutenant Teresa Croyle, Sheriff Daniel Allgood, Detective Martin Nash, FBI Special Agent Sandra Speer, and FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone.

"It appears that there was a 9-1-1 call saying that a woman matching Eleanor Burke's description was seen near the Bus Station." said Cindy Ross. "Shortly afterward, Commander Troy contacted Sergeant Rudistan on his Police cellphone, saying he'd seen someone at the Mountain Nest. And then Phyllis Troy and I arrived at the location and caught Mrs. Burke trespassing and attempting to break and enter the Troy home."

"My mother was staying at your place with you, wasn't she Captain?" I asked.

"Yes, and she still is." Cindy replied, almost defiantly.

"And who alerted who about Mrs. Burke?" I asked. Cindy knew full well why I was doing this in front of everyone instead of privately.

"She woke me up, sir." Cindy said. "I'm not sure how she knew, but she said Eleanor Burke had been spotted. Maybe she got a text from someone."

"I will be greatly curious to find out from whom." I said, perhaps a bit acidly. Cindy made no reply, her ice blue eyes as fierce and determined as my gray eyes were.

"That aside, the Federal Marshals will be at County Jail at 10:00am to transport the prisoner back to State Women's Prison." said Cmdr. Harlow. "Unless you want to keep her for some reason. If so, we'll need to file something with the Court."

"Commander?" asked the Chief, looking at and meaning me.

"No sir, let 'em take her back." I said. "I think we got all we're going to get from her. She didn't know a whole lot. She told us about being taken to Westphalia, then the City suburbs, then to here. We raided the house at the address she gave. The others had flown the coop, and not all that long before. We do have enough from her to charge my sister Elizabeth and Karen Warner Harlan with crimes related to this gang, as well as the escapees."

"Where do you think they might be now?" asked Jack Muscone. "The State Troopers have roadblocks set up near the State Line, and the State Police on the other side are also watching to see if they cross over. We have roadblocks on the Nextdoor County highway and the Midtown Highway, as well."

"I think they're still here, somewhere." I said. "Eleanor both said and otherwise implied that Elizabeth was the leader of this group, and Karen Harlan was big with it. It's Elizabeth's game, and I'm trying to figure out what it is..."

"You can't let her beat you, Crowbar 1." said Cindy. "It's a matter of Troy family honor now."

"Says a member of said family, Crowbar 2." I replied. "But it's pretty easy to see what Elizabeth is doing. The question is... who are her partners? This Women's Gang? Or the group I've called 'The Four' in the past?"

"Does it matter?" asked Jack Muscone.

"Tremendously." I said. "If it's 'The Four', then it's actually going to be less dangerous. If it's not... then I am very afraid of what might happen."

"Why is that?" asked Della Harlow. "And what is going on?"

I smiled. "We've had some past intel of smuggling operations going through here. Not stopping here, but going through. The intel is sporadic and vague, and has so far led to nothing. Now... one of Europe's best smugglers breaks several women out of prison, leads a bank robbery then a concert heist, and is very likely in this County now. So, something is up with that."

"What is she smuggling? Drugs?" asked Sandra Speer.

"Probably not." I replied. "This one is about guns, I think." Jack and Sandra immediately became uncomfortable. And was that my imagination, or did Sheriff Daniel Allgood also react?

"What the hell does she need guns for?" asked Daniel.

"She could smuggle them into Europe, or Africa." I said. "They just can't get enough guns in many parts of the world. She'd make some serious money if she could pull off a heist like this."

"That's true enough." said Chief Moynahan. "So let's concentrate on finding and stopping these women before someone gets hurt. Any ideas, Commander?"

"Chief," I said, "all we can do is wait. Patrol, scour the Town, but mostly wait for something to happen."

"And you expect something to happen?" asked the Sheriff.

"Yes, Sheriff." I said. "I do."

As the meeting broke up, I went over and whispered to Jack Muscone that I needed to speak with him privately...

Part 16 - Treachery

The gray clouds had lightened up, but now were back again. The Town felt dark and bleak, but the rain just would not fall. It was Thursday, April 14th.

They were in a barren apartment south of Courthouse Square, with nothing but sheets and their personal belongings.

"They got her." said Karen Warner Wilson, reading the news from a burner phone she'd activated, which Elizabeth had bought the day before from Wal-Mart. Elizabeth was good enough with disguises to go out. The rest had stayed put, and Elizabeth had brought back some food.

"They arrested Eleanor night before last at the Troy home, trying to break in." continued Karen. "She's already back at State Women's Prison."

"I figured as much." said Elizabeth. "Okay, ladies... at this point, I cannot ask any of you to continue forward with me. Our plan is shot to hell. I'm going to salvage what I can, and go back to France. I can take one of you with me. Karla?"

"I'd like to see Paris again." said Karla. "I might as well go with you. I'll miss my baby girl, though." She hugged Karen warmly.

"Aw Mom, you're going to make me cry." Karen said, her voice emotional. "And just when I got you back."

"Where will you go?" Karla asked.

"California." said Karen. "I can't stand not having sex! I'm going to see if I can get into the porn industry. I can make films as much as perform in them, and I'll be auditioning a lot of studs."

"Good plan. What about you, Cheryl?" Elizabeth asked.

"I don't know yet." Cheryl said. "I'll see this operation of yours through, then go my own way. South America sounds good right about now." She was not good at hiding her feelings in her eyes, and Elizabeth was reading her like a book.

"Kathy?" asked Elizabeth.

"When you guys leave this apartment, I'm going to leave too." said Kathy. "But I'm going to go my own way. Maybe back to the City, or to L.A. or New York. Someplace a Goth Girl can disappear into."

"Karla," Elizabeth said, "you may want to stay here until the operation is done."

"No, I'll go with you." said Karla. "We're just having too much fun, aren't we?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The white van pulled up to the old Standard Tools warehouse. The office entrance door was unlocked. Elizabeth led Karla, Karen and Cheryl into the warehouse, which opened up into a large space.

Karla wondered why Elizabeth was wearing a bulky sweater, heavy sweatpants, and tennis shoes instead of her normal upgrade attire. But she didn't have much time for questions.

"Hmmm, a few pallets of ammonium nitrate, boxes of nails." Elizabeth said. "They haven't brought the guns yet."

"So what now?" asked Cheryl.

"We wait." said Elizabeth, looking at her wristwatch. "They should be here within half an hour. If not, we go."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The pair stood on the roof of another warehouse, overlooking the Standard Tools building. He was using his binoculars. She was still wearing her black and pink motorcycle gear, and had not removed her helmet.

"Okay, they've gone inside." he said. "Oh wait... what is this? Ahhhhhh, a bonus..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Seth and Joanne Warner were riding in his truck, having gone to lunch together. Joanne was wearing a white collared golf/polo shirt with the TCPD badge embroidered over the left breast, and khaki pants. This was technically a casual uniform, as Joanne had her gunbelt on. She also had her light armor on under it.

As they rode up Jefferson Avenue, Joanne saw four figures enter the old Standard Tools warehouse, and a white van parked beside the door.

"Seth! Stop the car!" Joanne shouted. "Pull in right there!"

"What is it?" Seth said, continuing on.

"STOP THE CAR!!" Joanne yelled. Seth finally pulled over and into a nearby parking lot.

"Here, call 9-1-1, tell them 'police emergency', give my badge number 1-9-2-9, and ask for backup!" Joanne ordered as she got out of the truck. She grabbed the heavier armored vest she'd been carrying, and put it on.

"What's going on?" Seth asked. "What are you doing?"

"I just saw three fugitives!" Joanne said. "Seth, PLEASE! Call it in!"

"Wait!" Seth yelled. "It could be dangerous!"

"It's my job, Seth, now for God's sake, PLEASE MAKE THE CALL!" Joanne yelled, wondering why this was so hard to get through Seth's head. Not contemplating further, she ran off towards the building. Seth made the 9-1-1 call...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, one of the Iron Crowbar's Detectives is running into the building." he said. "This is going to be soooo good."

"If she dies, the Iron Crowbar may just come and kill you." the lovely Sinon said.

"Maybe..." he said. "Here, let me put on this listening gear so I can hear what's going on in there...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Joanne looked in. She saw Karla Warner, now her mother-in-law to her left. Elizabeth, the Iron Crowbar's sister, and yes she did look a good bit like him, was to Karla's left, about 20 feet away. Facing them was Cheryl Dunston. She could not see Karen Warner.

She heard them talking, and finally saw Karen come into view, looking at a cellphone, trying to get a signal.

Joanne sucked in her breath, said a quick prayer, and rushed in.

"POLICE!" she yelled. "EVERYBODY FREEZE!"

"Oh my God." said Karla. "You're my son's new wife."

"Get on the floor!" Joanne said. "NOW! DROP!" Unfortunately, she could not cover everyone. She began to turn towards Cheryl, seeing movement, but wasn't fast enough. Cheryl pulled out a pistol and fired.

"AAUGH!" yelled Joanne, grabbing her left arm, which had been hit. Her gun clattered to the concrete floor. As she reached down to get it, Cheryl fired again, just missing the blonde Policewoman's head.

"What are you doing?!" yelled Karla, rushing to help Joanne. "You shot her! She's my son's wife!"

"I don't care." said Cheryl. "I'm going to kill her, and then kill all of you if you try to stop me. Stand aside!"

Karla acted like she was going to comply. Then with a fast move, she grabbed Joanne's gun off the floor and fired twice at Cheryl. It was a 'double tap', and two bullets drilled into the center of Cheryl's chest. Cheryl Belle Dunston dropped to the ground, dead.

"Oh geez." said Karla as Elizabeth and Karen were about to rush up. Then they heard a voice come over the loudspeakers.

"My dear Elizabeth, my dear Karen..." came his voice on loudspeakers, "you have betrayed me for the last time. Prepare to meet thy God!"

The shocked women heard the voice. Karla saw anger on Elizabeth's face, shock on Karen's, followed by fury.

"YOU SON OF A BITCH!!" Karen yelled. "I WILL KILL YOU---"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, the meaningless threat..." he said. "My lovely Sinon, if you please..."

She dialed a cellphone number. When that phone rang, it set off the explosives in the warehouse...

Part 16 - Life And Death

"Yes, this is a Police emergency!" Seth was saying to the 9-1-1 operator. "Detective Joanne Cummings Warner, TCPD badge 1-9-2-9, needs backup at the Standard Tools Warehouse on Jefferson Avenue---"

***KA-BOOM!!***

"OH MY GOD!" yelled Seth, horrified. He jumped out of the truck, running towards the building. "Joanne! Joanne!"

"Sir..." said the 9-1-1 operator... "Sir... are you there? Sir?..."

As Seth ran towards the building, he heard a sickening creak, then something that sounded like a huge *snap!* He watched in sheer terror as the building collapsed in front of him...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ah, splendid." he said, watching through is binoculars. "My test is complete, Sinon. That rigging did work, and it brought the building down. I needed to know that for my next operation."

"We need to get out of here before Police and Media helicopters converge." said Sinon.

"Yes, let's do leave, quickly." he said. They went to the door and down the stairs into the building.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Joanne shook her head, trying to clear the tremendous pain in her ears. Karla Warner was on top of her, having covered and shielded her as the explosives had detonated. Joanne felt a sharp pain in her leg.

"Oh my God... Mrs. Warner, are you all right?"

"No." said Karla, who half rolled off Joanne. Joanne was able to clear some debris and get out from under Karla. And then she saw the damage.

The nails had been place next to the explosives to become shrapnel. Karla's back was covered in wounds. But the worst was the foot long splinter of metal that had become a stake through Karla's chest.

With her last, supreme effort, Karla grabbed Joanne. "Take care... of my son..." she whispered. "Give him... good... children..."

Joanne felt Karla's grip lose its energy, and saw the woman' body slump. Her eyes stared sightlessly forward. Karla Warner was gone.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Joanne!" yelled Seth, rushing into the debris field. "Joanne! Oh God, say something! Call out! Joanne!"

"I'm... I'm over here." Joanne said.

Seth rushed up, "Oh thank God! Are you hurt?"

"I don't think so, not badly." Joanne said.

"Mom!" Seth said, recognizing the other woman. "Mom!"

"She's gone, Seth." Joanne said, her voice coming in gasps. "She covered me with her body... I'm sorry Seth, there was nothing I could do..." She began sobbing. Seth checked his mother's neck for a pulse, finding none. He then turned to comforting his wife...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He's just sitting there." Cindy said to Chief Moynahan. "Just watching them work, waiting for them to find something."

The Chief looked over and saw what she was saying: The Iron Crowbar was sitting on a large chunk of debris near the collapsed building, watching Fire Commander Zoe Singer and her Arson Team search for the remains of his sister and the other women.

Karla Warner had been brought out and taken away by Crime Lab personnel. Joanne was checked by Dr. Morgan, who had rushed to the scene from University Hospital. He found one gunshot wound to the arm, and a nail that had driven into her lower leg. She was being taken out on a stretcher, holding her husband's hand, having given Captain Ross a video-recorded statement while being examined. Seth also would give his statement at the Hospital.

Cheryl Dunston's body had been found, intact. It was noted that she had two bullet wounds to the chest. Joanne had said Karla Warner had shot Cheryl after Joanne had been hit, thus saving Joanne's life.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Excuse me, Chief." said Cindy. She walked over to where Commander Troy was sitting. He did not look over at her, continuing to stare into the debris field. Cindy did not say anything, but merely sat next to her cousin, focusing her mental energy on him.

Some moments later, Todd Burke was driven up to the scene by Lt. Teresa Croyle in her Police Cruiser. Cindy went over to meet them. Todd saw his uncle, still staring at the debris. He went over.

"Uncle Don?" he said. "Anything?"

"Not yet." I replied, my voice sounding far away. "Have a seat, if you want to wait with me."

"I'm too restless." Todd said. "Does Grandma know?"

"No, at least I haven't told her." I said. "I'm still waiting to see if they find... anything."

Todd nodded, then walked back towards Teresa and Cindy. To his shock, and everyone else's, Seth Warner was walking up to them.

"Joanne is being examined and they wouldn't let me in there." Seth explained. "She told me to come ask about Karen. And Todd's mom. I'm sorry, Todd."

"Hey, I'm sorry for your mom." said Todd, as he and Seth man-hugged.

"Joanne said my mom saved her life." said Seth.

"Tell me that story again."

The voice was mine. I had come up behind them. Seth repeated everything he had seen and known.

"Stay here a second." I said as I got out my cellphone. "I want you to hear this." Everyone watched me intently.

"Yes... this is Commander Troy of the Town & County Police Force. Please put me through to Governor Jared." Needless to say, I was not hung up upon this time...

"Governor... "I said, "Yes, we're at the scene now... no sir... I don't know, sir... yes sir, Karla Warner died in the explosion, and that's why I'm calling... yes sir, I would like you to commute her sentence to time served... yes, she saved my Police Officer's life... yes sir, so her family can bury her instead of the Prison System... thank you Governor, thank you very much..."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Incest/Taboo
  • /
  • Women's Work Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 17 milliseconds