• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • The Sharpest Lives Ch. 06

The Sharpest Lives Ch. 06

123

Night of The Hunter

-----------------------------------------------

I was glad to be back in my own bed again.

There was always a part of me that needed its own space, in a quietly defiant way. Right now I was tending to those needs by locking myself up in my room and ignoring all the knocking and calling going on.

I lay prone on my bed, surrounded by my books and papers. My kitten slept peacefully on the small of my back, despite my constant leg jiggling.

Ri had collected all the work I missed out on while I was away. I really owed one to her; she would never attend classes unless she needed to, but she did it so I wouldn't fall back.

Liam messaged me once after I reached home- he just asked if I was alright. I wished that he'd have called, but I've learnt to expect otherwise from him, from what I had learnt about him over the weekend.

I wondered if I was setting myself up for unhappiness, then realized, of course I was. I knew this instinctively from the get-go. But there was something inside me that wanted to spiral towards this entropy, this death...

The phone rang, and I scrambled to get it. It was my mom.

"You haven't been home for the past few days," she said, before I could say hello.

For a moment I didn't know what to say. I thought I had covered that up?

"What are you talking about, I'm right here, I'm going to classes and what not," I said, blankly as possible.

"You lied."

"Please mom, don't start this. I've been talking to you once everyday haven't I?"

"I don't believe you... Something tells me something is wrong... Look, if you are doing something you know you shouldn't.. Don't. Think about yourself... You'll only harm yourself..."

I always thought my mom had some sort of psychic ability when it came to me, but this was just too uncanny.

"Relax... You're just worried I'm away from home the first time. I have a whole house full of people taking care of me! I won't do anything stupid," I said, as my stomach twisted at my lies.

"I don't know... You trust everybody too fast. You're naïve. I'm worried one of those girls might *make* you do something stupid.." Her voice trailed off, then came back with a vengeance. "And if I find out... You're leaving. You're coming right back here."

"Fine. Can we talk about something else now?" I asked, slightly disturbed.

We talked for a while, then I got back to my work. I didn't actively think about what she said, but now a new fear was sown into my mind...

Someone banged on my door. I stayed quiet, hoping they would go away. They kept banging on my door, and then I heard a voice sing out: "Open the door bitch, I bought lunch!"

It was Cynthia. Now I had to open it, we were roommates after all.

Cynthia entered with a tray of food.

"Hell-o, how was your little getaway, didn't take you much time to snap up a boyfriend, did it, you sly bitch?" she sang, setting the tray on the table.

"We aren't... anything yet..." I shrugged noncommittally. My kitten suddenly jumped into my lap, and began kneading my stomach and meowing loudly.

"Oh? Oh he gave you a cat!" exclaimed Cynthia.

"I found the kitten there, he didn't give it to me."

"Yeah, he's a cheap bastard if he did give you that cat, that's just some rubbish alley breed." She sat on the sofa, crossing her legs, looking at me, smiling.

"Who cares about the breed, what am I, some posh old society lady?"

"That's who you should aim to be, babe, because look what that got me," she held out her arm proudly, and on her slim bronze wrist sat a gold watch, glittering in the lamplight.

"It's pretty. Now which one gave you this?" I asked, mockingly.

"That doesn't matter. Point is I got it, because I deserve it." She smiled wickedly, and I asked hesitantly,

"Now what did you *do* to deserve it?"

"What do you think?"

"... I don't want to think about it. Let's just eat."

Our friendship was like that.

We met each other on the first day of university, during registration, and I didn't think much until we found out that we'd be staying in the same house together.

The house was a bit far from the university grounds, and 6 other girls were already staying there. Cynthia and I were the newest and youngest members.

We decided to take the same room, then found out slowly that we took almost the same courses, and operated in the same way: live and let live.

I accepted whatever she did, and she didn't mind what I thought- and we covered up for each other, because it was convenient that way.

We both knew enough things about each other to be considered best friends by others, but we never really saw ourselves as 'best' friends, and somehow, that wasn't a problem. It was a very easy, passionless relationship. But we never considered it a superficial one.

"Listen, Kim, I have to tell you, your mom was eating my head last week," she said lightly.

"Oh? I'm sorry. I realized it now, actually, after she just called me now." I meant it; I understood she was taking unnecessary pains on my behalf.

"Oh no babe, if I was here and being straight, covering for you would be easy, but I was having my own weekend! Imagine that, for the first two days I had no idea where you were, and I was busy, and I forgot to call you, so thank god you filled me in finally, but please let's plan these things out in advance, okay?"

"I'm sorry," I pulled my ears in mock penance, and pouted.

She patted my head, laughing, and suddenly grabbed my ankle. "Hey! What's this? You're wearing jewelry now? I have to meet this guy!"

"Ugh, let go," I laughed. "He just gave it to me."

"Why?"

"There is no why, he just gave it," I said, looking down so she couldn't see me blush.

"Yeah sure, you can't fool me. Nobody just 'gives' something... Unless they are expecting something back," I saw a dark mood come over her, as she played with the bells. My kitten got off my lap as well, to play.

"We put a ring on the finger to say we are promised. Women wear necklaces in some cultures to show they are married. This," she said, pulling the anklet with a finger, "tells people you are owned."

"You have a watch on your hand," I pointed out.

"But I know what I paid for it, and I won't take or give a lick more or less," she replied seriously. "You don't. That's not a good bargain."

I rolled my eyes and looked at the ceiling, and smiled.

"I'm not gonna stop you," she continued. "But just let me know if something happens, okay? Just so I know what I'll be dealing with."

"Okay. I did nothing," I lied.

Those things can wait another day.

We sat around, talking, playing with the kitten, which we now named Kat, since I refused all the cutesy names Cynthia threw at me. I filled her in on all the details about Liam and what happened during the weekend. I left some bits out, as my gut instinct told me, again, *not the right time*.

"Do you know any Rachel?" I asked easily. "Blonde, leggy... About their age.."

"That sounds like all the Rachels in the world, now unless you got a picture I don't know which you're talking about."

I took out my phone, and showed her a picture of Beth and Rachel.

Cynthia looked surprised. "Oh my god. Her?"

"Yeah, why?"

"She is the 'it' girl, dude, she's is... Whoa, and you met her there?"

"What did she do, end world hunger or something?" I asked incredulously.

"Yeah, maybe if she wanted to she can, I mean, people listen to her... Why was she there?"

"She's Liam's cousin's girlfriend or something. She was plain annoying, to be honest."

"See, an artist will have no use for a tractor. You don't know what she's capable of, so you're thinking she's stupid, but she isn't."

I hummed again, and dropped one more tidbit of information.

"She wants me to join her next weekend," I said, easily. "At her place. She wanted to introduce me to her friends or something."

"Holy crap." Cynthia looked excited. "You are going right? But you aren't going alone, are you?" she raised her eyebrows suggestively.

"Obviously I'm bringing you. You're my shield!" I said, grabbing her to hide behind her. She laughed out loud, and I continued, "I'm even willing undergo plastic surgery to change faces for the day. You can be me, I'll be you. See, what I would do for you!"

She mock wiped tears from her eyes. "Ah, little pudding, you are the sweetest... But it sounds like you really scored, now I really want to see your guy!"

"He dated her last year, she said," I supplied. "And he knows Tom since forever."

"You know, just for my sake, I'm gonna do a background check on him," she stated, with a hint of seriousness.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night," I replied.

"I'm just asking you to be careful. Don't get caught doing something you might regret," she stressed.

*Well that happened already.* I wasn't sure if I regretted it too much, though. I diverted her again.

"So, should I accept her stupid invitation?"

"Duh."

As expected, Rachel jumped at the opportunity to have me over.

"This is fantastic. Do you want to stay the weekend? We'll go out the first day and stay in the next..."

"No, one day is fine, thanks," I said hurriedly. I couldn't risk my parents finding out that I hardly stayed at home during the weekends as well.

"Next time then. Do you want me to call Beth as well? Just to make you comfortable?"

"If she doesn't have a problem... I'm bringing a friend along, by the way."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, she really wants to meet you."

"*Ooh* I can't wait... I really like having you around me... Lets make another video, hmm?"

The conversation was going in a direction I didn't like, so I lied, "Hmm, Rachel, there's a call on the other line. I'll talk to you soon, okay? Bye."

I cut the call before she could say anything else. As soon as I cut though, my phone rang again. It was my mom.

"Your father and I are coming this weekend."

"Oh? Okay..." I slowed down. I didn't know what to say!

"You have no problems with that right? No other plans?"

"No...no..." Rachel could plan this again later if I told her to. If my parents come over once then it will relive their doubts for a while. This would be a good move.

"Good..." my mom sighed. "Actually your father doesn't want to bother you, but I want to see you..."

"Me too, mom. I don't like this place."

In a way, that was the truth. Everything was new, everyone was nice, but... I really didn't feel like I belonged...

"This is harder for me, I feel terrible- I wish we were closer- I'd drive down to see you, or you could come home whenever-"

"Yeah, no, that's too suffocating," I said, before I could stop myself.

"The option would be there," said my mom, angrily. "I'm not going to smother you. You take things the wrong way sometimes."

"I didn't mean it that way either- whatever- mom, I have to go now."

After saying bye, I started calling Rachel, but the phone rang again. It was an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Hi. How are you?" It was Liam.

"I'm good..." I started, then got angry. "Where are you?!"

"Where I need to be. Now, what's this I hear about you going over to Rachel's place for her fuckfest or whatever?" He sounded slightly angry.

"What? No, I didn't agree to that!"

"You know what she's like, that's probably on her mind."

"You're exaggerating. How do you know anyways? She invited you?"

"Benjy's my brother. Of course I know."

"Anyway, I was going to call her and cancel it. My parents are coming over."

"Oh? Alright. I'll call and tell her for you."

"Oh thank God, I won't have to talk to her."

"You're welcome." I realized what he implied and could almost hear the smirk in his voice.

"You're not God, idiot." I said, annoyed.

"I'll make your second problem go away as well," he said, cockily.

"What second problem?"

"Your parents. You're staying over at my place this weekend."

"I- no, that isn't a good idea. That's a *terrible* idea. I need them to see me this weekend."

"Trust me, it will be fine. Just say you have some other work."

"No, if they see me once, they won't bother me next time."

"Okay then, I'll come over. Introduce me to them."

"What?"

I didn't understand where he was going with this. Suddenly I felt trapped - and I couldn't even ask him what's going on! He'd take it the wrong way and lash against me later...

"I'll take care of it. I'll just drop by and introduce myself if you don't have the guts to."

"I- I- don't know..."

"Don't you trust me?"

The honest answer was no. "Yes," I muttered.

"Good girl. See you, then." he cut the call.

I fell on the bed.

Is this some game he and Rachel are playing? thought my head suddenly.

I can't trust anyone!

Cynthia came in, what felt like hours later. "So what's happening?"

"It's cancelled," I said, not looking up from my pillow. "It's all cancelled. My parents are coming over."

"Oh?" She sounded slightly disappointed, but then she added, "Well we can't help that. We can go next time right?"

"That's not the problem. Liam wants to meet my parents."

"What?" she cried. "Is this guy for real?"

"I don't know, and that's why I'm freaking out," I said unhappily.

I felt the mattress bear down as Cynthia joined me on the bed. "Oh boy. Relax. He's probably pulling your leg."

"Remember, I told you this guy dated Rachel before? For some reason- the thought just popped up- maybe both of them are playing me somehow. And it doesn't matter to them, but I'll get into trouble. I can't let that happen. My parents will never trust me again. It was bad enough for them to let me go this far." I blubbered.

"That can be a valid line of thought- and then again, this might be you being paranoid."

"You're not helping!"

"It doesn't matter does it?" Cynthia patted my head as she spoke. "The truth will show up in time. For tomorrow, well, the decision is already made. Your parents are coming."

Tomorrow came, and I was still on pins and needles. I couldn't look forward to the weekend with the same zest the rest of my friends had. All I could think about was how many ways everything could go wrong.

After classes I went straight back home, and sat in my room. I played with Kat, I listened to music, I doodled, and I just basically waited. Mary and the others came in occasionally to ask me out, or to join them in something, but I stayed put.

One more knock at the door. It was Ri.

Ri's full name was Mary as well, but since the other Mary came first, we had to figure another way to call her.

"I heard about your boyfriend problem from Cyn and I'm here to fix it," she said, before I could even say hi.

"No, please Ri, I'm scared this might go bad!"

"It will go bad! I know Liam from before, my brother knows them- that guy is a proper bastard, you don't know what to expect from him. Don't worry, I can tell him off, I've dealt with people like him before," she said as she reached for her phone.

"No, wait," I literally dived for her phone, and grabbed her hands. "Wait. Tell me about him first. What's he playing at?"

"Look, all I'm saying is that he shouldn't do this. Deciding when to drop by, not listening to you... It's not right for him to have all the control. That's all I'm gonna say to him."

"I'll manage that somehow. This is my fault, I should have been more vocal about my wants," I said, still holding her hands.

"I'll call him," I said finally, standing up.

I dialed the number, and waited.

"Kim! Doll, why did you cancel on me?" It was Rachel. I groaned. Ri raised an eyebrow at my reaction.

"My parents are coming over. I had to. Is Liam around?"

"Oh he's right here, next to me," she said, and then passed the phone.

Oh, I thought. They're together.

"Hello, love," said Liam smoothly. "Sorry, but this banshee had to pick up your call. I told her you cancelled because you hate her face. She doesn't believe me, so she wanted to hear the truth from your plump little lips."

"Listen... You can't come. I need time alone with my parents. And it's not time for you to meet them."

"You could've just said they were coming later, then we would miss each other. Why can't you be smart like other girls?" he teased. He seemed to revel in my discomfort.

I bit my lip. That *was* a better idea. "Well, I trust you enough with the truth," I shot back. "That you'd be man enough to not take it against me."

"Whoah, babydoll, okay. If you were this insistent before, I'd have backed off! I'm not coming. Happy?"

"Good." I then cut the line. I turned to Ri.

"Excellent. This is how you should keep him in check," said Ri, with a satisfied smile.

"You know, sometimes I feel everything I do with him will put me in trouble," I admitted.

"Relax," said Ri, as she left the room.

I lay back, finally feeling a little relived.

My phone rang once more, and I wanted to just run away from it.

"Hi mom. When will you reach?"

"Hey sweetheart, we aren't coming."

"What?"

"Your dad is tired. I said I'll drive but even then he doesn't feel like going. Sorry honey."

I was just going to blast off about how many plans I turned down and how irritated I felt, but then held my tongue.

"Oh, alright," I said. "Well, I'm going to sleep. I have work to do, so I'll wake up later at night. I'll talk to you then."

I lay back once again, as Kat pattered onto my stomach to lay down.

"I'm not going anywhere now," I breathed. "Screw everyone."

I closed my eyes, and woke up when the phone rang. It was Liam again.

"Hey." I said, without much emotion.

"So are your parents still there?" he asked.

"Yes." I lied. I really didn't feel like playing his games now.

"Liar," he sang.

"They are," I stressed.

"It's 11 pm. What, they're staying overnight?"

I hadn't realized it was that late.

"Yes," I said, without thinking much.

"I already told you that you were a terrible liar, little rabbit," he said, and laughed. "I can call up anyone and check. I can even come over, right now, to see if your parents are over, but you kinda banned me from the house. They're all out for my blood over you!"

"Ugh I don't care. You're annoying me. Just let me be."

"Aww. You sound depressed... Come over to my place.. A night with me and you'll be all better," he said, voice as smooth as silk.

"No. I can't."

"Your parents aren't here. If you leave the house, no one's gonna stop you. It's totally your choice."

"The way you're putting it, it looks like only your choice matters." I said drily.

"Yes. And I'm asking you, nicely, to come over. Seeing as you have no other...obstacles in your way, you should be free now."

"I'm free, yes. But I don't want to see you."

"You don't *want* to?"

"Is me having free will such an alien concept?"

"Babydoll, I know you get headstrong sometimes...that's what makes you so much fun to play with!"

"Well, I mean it this time. I don't want to see you."

He was silent, and when he spoke again, he lost that mocking tone.

"But I need to see you today," he said.

"You don't need anything. You have Rachel with you, go *need* her or whatever."

"What are you taking about," he said, and suddenly his voice turned sour. "What do you mean, need her?"

"You know what I mean! Or are you asking me to spell everything out?"

"What's going on in your head?"

"I don't trust you," I replied, my words tumbling out. "I feel you're luring me into some trap- I don't know anymore."

He went quiet for a second.

"I can't believe this," he said, incredulously. "A trap? You don't trust me?"

"I-" I faltered. It wasn't that exactly. My life seemed to be running past me, out of my control, as if it was driving through a thick fog. I could hit anything, and everything would be over for me. For me, nobody else.

"Come over to my house," he said suddenly. "I'll try, I promise," I heard him plead. That was the first time I'd heard him sound tearful. "I'll tell you everything you want to know, fix everything you need to fix, I'll do it, but... I just need to see you."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • The Sharpest Lives Ch. 06

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 129 milliseconds