• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 23

Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 23

1234

After a second or two of eerie silence, all hell broke loose. Jason had turned his gun to the left and continued to fire. Steve suddenly brought two guns into play, exchanging shots with several men standing directly in front of him. Charlie was methodically firing at the men stationed to his right.

Ted finally tried to pull his handgun from his waistband, but something struck him in the chest. He was knocked back against the wall. As he struggled to lift his weapon, he felt another blow to his chest just before he lost consciousness.

The next thing Ted remembered was waking up as someone lightly slapped his cheek. He opened his eyes to see Steve's face quite close to his. Steve nodded to himself and then ripped open the heavy jacket Ted was wearing. He looked Ted over for about fifteen seconds before speaking.

"I don't see any blood, Ted. It looks like you took two bullets to the chest, but your vest did its job. It'll hurt like hell, and you may have a cracked rib or two, but you should be okay.

"Jason, let me have a look at your leg," insisted Steve as he stood and walked over to Jason, who was now seated.

"You'll need something to prevent infection, but it looks like the bullet went through muscle and missed the bone. Luckily, you're in a pretty damn good hospital. Charlie, how bad is your arm?" questioned Steve as he moved a short distance to inspect his friend's injury.

"It hurts like hell, but I can still use it," assured Charlie just as one of Hasko's goons groaned loudly. Without even blinking, Charlie placed a round into the man's head. "That was the bastard that shot me! We need to find out how Jordan and Ruth are!"

"I just tried calling, but it goes straight to voicemail," responded Jason. "If Mallory did her job, the girls' phones should be turned off and they should be in a safe place. We have to wait until they turn the phones back on."

"I'll call Chip and let him know what's going on," volunteered Steve as he made the call. He spoke briefly and then signed off.

"They have company. Chip says that there are ten of them, and the idiots think that they're sneaking up on the guys in the house. Chip said that Jared, Pete, and he are just about to lower the boom. Those poor bastards won't know what hit them. I've seen Chip work. Jared and Pete aren't any pilgrims either, as John Wayne would say."

"How come no one's coming in to check on us?" asked Ted. "They had to have heard the shooting in here."

"We gave the staff a bit of a head's-up about the trouble we were expecting and suggested that they stay away until the dust settles and we call for them. We'll need to get the bodies down to the incinerator as soon as possible. Charlie, help Jason down to the nurses' station and get those wounds taken care of. Ted and I will load up the bodies and get them disposed of."

"Are you crazy?" demanded Ted. "The police will be all over you if you move these bodies. We need to get them here to see that it was self-defense."

"Ted, these were sociopaths. They've killed without feeling any remorse. The police won't be concerned about them. Nadiya's father promised the government wouldn't be interested as long as it remained low profile. We're going to burn these bodies and go home to our families. Chip, Jared, and Pete will bury the ones they have up in the woods by the house we rented."

"You don't even know how that turned out. Those gunmen could have killed your friends," protested Ted as he tried to assimilate the information flying his way.

"Believe me, Ted. I know how it'll turn out," replied Steve. "Those men are trying to sneak up on an empty house while three very capable men armed with assault rifles are waiting for them. Chip could probably handle them himself. Jared and Pete could take them without Chip. Those thugs are either dead or dying right now. Let's get this over with."

Steve stepped into the hall and went into a nearby room. He soon returned with what looked like a small dumpster on wheels. Steve casually began heaving bodies into it. Ted shook his head and then moved to help Steve. It required three trips down the service elevator, but Ted and Steve managed to load the dead men into the fire chamber.

"How can you do this without feeling sick?" asked Ted as they swung the last body into the fire. "Doesn't this bother you at all?"

"What bothers me is worrying about our girls back home," answered Steve as he moved to a wash basin and began cleaning up. "These men have a history of killing and raping women, and even children. They were worse than wild animals. They were more like mad dogs. We simply exterminated vermin. Doing so will probably save hundreds of lives over the next few years. Did I enjoy it? Not even a little. Do I regret it? Not at all. If Hasko had lived, none of us would have ever been safe. We had to do this for your wife and daughters, for Ashley, Naomi, Becky, Charlotte and the rest.

"I would give my life to save our women from these bastards. So would you, Jason, Charlie, and the rest. It was forced on us and we took care of it. I'm not proud of what we did, but it needed doing and not many could have managed it. That was some of the most intense action I've ever seen. We did what we had to do and survived. It's a good thing."

Charlie and Jason insisted on being treated quickly and leaving as soon as possible. They had their injuries dressed, given antibiotics, pain medication, and went in search of Steve and Ted. They found Steve explaining to three of the custodial staff that he wanted the floor scrubbed and the holes in the walls and furniture repaired as soon as possible. The men nodded agreement and began working on the blood stains first.

By the time the foursome reached the rented house, Jared and Chip were carrying their bags out and putting them in a dark Mercedes. Pete was grinning as he stepped out from behind the wheel.

"We won't be crowded riding to the airport now. We'll ride back in this 'borrowed' Benz. You guys can take the rentals."

"What happened to the men who came here to kill you?" asked Ted as he looked around the area in front of the house.

"I don't know what you mean," chuckled Chip. "Some friends loaned us this great automobile. We're just going to ride to the airport in it. They don't need it anymore."

It was two hours later when Steve's phone rang. He and the others were preparing to board the Red Lady when the call came in.

"Steve, are you and the rest okay?" asked Gwen immediately and in an obviously agitated tone.

"We're fine. We're boarding the Red Lady right now. Is everything okay with you?" questioned Steve as he somehow dreaded Gwen's response.

"Four horrible men came to our house before sunup this morning. They were armed and intent on killing someone, probably Charlotte and me. Sybil had sneaked us out earlier and secluded us with some of her agents a few miles from the home. She, Janice, and three others hid in the house and waited just in case we were attacked.

"There was a gun fight and three of the men were killed and one badly injured," continued Gwen. "Charlotte and I are fine, but we're not going back to the house. Our security detail wouldn't let us use our phones until just now.

"I spoke to Mom a few minutes ago. She had pretty much the same thing happen. Mallory had moved all of the occupants of Asgard into the safe room in Valhalla. She and about twenty agents spread out in all of our homes. A van crashed through the gate, with two more following it. The three guards had been warned and they killed three of the men there before they were wounded so badly they were unable to carry on the fight. There were ten more guards on their way to help cover when the attack occurred, but they were a few minutes too late.

"The loud ruckus alerted Mallory's people and when the vans stopped in front of Jordan's house, they were prepared. Twelve men were shot to ribbons and three more surrendered after being injured. Mom said none of our friends or family was hurt, but they're all shook up and worried about you guys."

Steve saw that his friends were all using their phones as he spoke with Gwen. "I think the guys are talking to their ladies right now. I want you to tell Sybil that she did a great job. We need to think of something really nice for her."

"Steve, I hate to tell you this, but Sybil was shot in the gun battle at our house. I'm waiting to hear more from Janice, but it doesn't look good."

"Oh shit!" cried Steve in anguish. "I'm so sorry to hear that. We'll be back as soon as possible. I'll fly through to California and be with you as fast as I can make it. We need to be sure that Sybil has every chance possible."

"I already let it be known that Lady in Red will cover any and all expenses and efforts to help her. Everyone at the hospital is aware of how much Sybil means to us," replied Gwen as she fought back tears. "Hurry back to me. I'm going to need some emotional support from you."

Steve and Gwen spoke for a few more minutes before ending the call. As he returned the phone to his pocket, he brushed the tears from his eyes and looked at his companions. They were watching him somberly.

"We heard about Sybil being hurt," began Charlie. "We all like her a lot and wish her the best. Sadly, it goes with the territory. We're pretty damn lucky that we're all alive and going home."

"Yeah," agreed Jason. "I apologize if I jumped the gun, so to speak, but when that miserable fuck started talking about what he was going to have his men do to Lisa and Theresa, I knew he had to die."

"You saved me a bullet," admitted Charlie. "I was just getting ready to pop the bastard myself. He deserved to die just for saying the things he did. Apparently he intended to carry them out."

"Won't there be any trouble over this?" asked Ted. "We just arrived in a strange country and killed, oh, about two dozen men, give or take. How can they let us leave so easily?"

"I spoke to Nadiya's father a few minutes ago," responded Steve. "Without going into any particulars, I explained that Hasko was out of business, permanently. I told him that my understanding was that he and his associates left the country and would not be returning."

"Mr. Misko assured me that his government was relieved that Hasko decided to go elsewhere, and they would not be looking for him. We just did the government, and the whole country, a big favor. Those bodies will not be found any time soon. When and if they are, no one will care about them."

"So that's it? No repercussions? We just go home and act like it never happened?" wondered Ted in amazement.

"No repercussions? A beautiful, vibrant young woman may die, so yes, there are serious repercussions. Wait until you try to sleep tonight. You'll find out that there are repercussions," declared Steve. "Our women have been scared to death. There'll be repercussions for years to come.

"Jason, Charlie, and the other guys appear to be fine, but we'll all have some issues from this cluster fuck," stated Steve flatly. "We sure as hell could have planned and prepared for this better. Pete will have to devise some sort of barriers that prevent forced entry to Asgard. We need to study and know our adversary better before we get in the middle of something. I dropped the ball on this. When we left to come over here, I thought we'd either scare the prick off, or plant him under the ground. I had no idea how evil the sick bastard was, and it may have cost me a very good friend, and if it hadn't been for our security team, we could have lost everything we hold dear!"

It seemed to Steve like it took a week to reach Stanford. It was past midnight when he checked into a hotel and fell into the bed. Gwen was not allowed to disclose her location over the phone, so they decided that they would work out things the following day, after Steve managed to get some rest.

After a fitful sleep, Steve was at Stanford Medical Center at 6 AM. He strode up to the information desk and asked about Sybil Burke. The woman behind the desk looked up and immediately recognized him. "Mr. Hammer, I'm supposed to ask you to go up to the fifth floor, where an escort will join you."

Steve stepped out of the elevator on the fifth floor and was greeted by a nurse that had apparently been waiting. "We've been instructed to allow you to visit Ms. Burke. She's no longer critical, but has a very long road ahead of her. Please follow me."

Steve was ushered into a private room. His heart jumped when Sybil looked at him and smiled weakly. He hurried to her side and gently kissed her lips.

"Sybil, I was terrified when I heard that you'd been shot. You've come to mean a great deal to me. You keep saving me and my family. Now you were hurt doing it. I'll never forget what you've done for me."

"I saw how well everyone treated you in the hospital when you were shot, so I thought I'd give it a try. It really isn't worth it, is it?" joked Sybil in a small voice.

"You just work at getting well. I'll stop in and help you every chance I get. We'll have you walking out of here in no time," promised Steve.

"That may be a problem," admitted Sybil as tears began to slide down her cheeks. "I can't feel my legs. The bullet clipped my spine. They don't know how permanent the damage is yet, but I may never be able to walk again."

Steve was stunned by Sybil's words. He simply took her face in his hands and held his forehead against hers for a long time. "Sybil, I'll never lie to you. You have to believe that. I just considered what you said about walking and I know that you will walk again. Don't ask me how or why, but I know that you will.

"You and I will work together on this. If we concentrate on your recovery and your spine healing, it will. I believe this. My mother taught me all about positive thinking when I was a kid. It works. Will you promise me that you'll work with me every chance that you get to heal, to recover, and to be able to dance again?"

"I'll do anything you ask," assured Sybil. "But I wasn't a very good dancer before this happened."

"Sybil, I promise you right now that if you'll work with me as hard as you possibly can, we'll share quite a few dances over the years. I'll teach you to be a very good dancer. You know I can. You saw the movie."

"I'll work as hard as I can just so you visit me now and then," managed Sybil with a smile. "You're the best guy I've ever met. I'll make you proud of me."

"I already am," replied Steve as he once again gently kissed Sybil's lips.

"What are you doing with my daughter?" came a voice from the doorway.

Steve turned to see Mallory Burke and Gwen watching him. "I'm making a promise to her, if you must know. I'm going to teach her to be a very good dancer. We're going to put every ounce of effort possible into it. Your daughter is an amazing woman and I'm extremely proud to know her and call her a friend."

"I leave for an hour to go home and get cleaned up and you're already entertaining a gentleman?" teased Mallory. "He's going to teach you to dance? I want to see that!"

"Steve usually accomplishes what he sets out to do," noted Gwen as she entered further into the room and kissed Steve once he stood up. "You had better be prepared for some hard work, Sybil. The man is a real slave driver."

"He'll have his work cut out with me. I was never the most graceful person and now I can't even feel my legs. I don't know much about dancing, but I think that's going to be a requirement."

"And what did we just promise each other?" prodded Steve gently.

"We're going to stay positive and you're going to help me heal. Is that okay with you, Gwen?"

"Let me think about that. You saved my life and were badly injured in the process. Yes, Steve can certainly help you every chance he gets," promised Gwen. "You'll find him very persuasive and extremely determined. You'd better be prepared to work hard."

A short time later, Steve and Gwen left Mallory and Sybil and went for a breakfast. "Was it pretty bad in Kiev? The FBI has interrogated the attackers that survived and they feel confident that there are no more bad guys left here in the states. We're going back to normal precautions.

"Charlotte and I are going to share a suite in a hotel until we graduate. We only have a couple of weeks left and we're not going back to our house. We'll have it cleaned and then sell it.

"Tell me about Kiev. How bad was it? Is everyone okay? What exactly happened?" asked Gwen as she watched Steve eyes cloud over.

Steve spent the next ten minutes explaining how everything transpired in Kiev. Gwen gave an involuntary gasp when Steve told her how Jason shot Hasko in the head.

"Do you think that was necessary?" asked Gwen. "If Jason had controlled his temper, would you have been able to talk him out of his demands?"

"Honestly? No, I don't think that I could have. The man was a true sociopath. His goons were even worse. Charlie said he was about to shoot the guy himself, but Jason saved him the bullet. I was actually mulling it over. Jason had cause. Let me tell you this, Jason and Charlie are men to ride with. They were something to see.

"Your dad insisted on going with us, and we were pretty worried about him being hurt and how we'd face his wife and daughters if he was. I'm glad Jason insisted that we wear vests. Your dad never fired a shot, but was hit twice in the chest. The vest saved him, but I bet he's pretty sore today."

"Dad was shot? You neglected to mention that little fact!" cried Gwen. "Are you sure he's okay?"

"He's going to be sore, but he'll be fine. I bet Paula is treating him like a king. Your dad really has a lot of nerve. He refused to leave when Jason suggested it would be safer," added Steve. "You really should be very proud of your father."

"I am, and I'll tell him that next time I speak with him. More importantly, I'm going to tell Mom what you told me. She needs to know how brave he was and how strongly he feels about his family. Sometimes she sees Kate, Lisa, and me walking around on the arms of the toughest characters imaginable and maybe wonders if her man measures up. She needs to know that he does!"

Steve decided to stay in Stanford with Gwen while she finished her studies. He kept his promise to Sybil and visited her twice a day. They became very close friends. Steve constantly talked about her getting well and dancing with him. He would rub her feet and legs as they chatted. He kept telling her to picture her spine knitting in her mind and he would do the same. He insisted that his touch would increase the influence his thoughts had on her healing.

The third time Steve visited Sybil; a pretty nurse stopped him as he was leaving. "I would like to ask you a favor, Mr. Hammer. We have a very famous children's hospital here. Would it be possible for you to visit with some of the ill children and their worried parents? It would do wonders for their morale. Maybe we could schedule a visit sometime?"

Steve smiled and took the nurse's hand in his. "If you'll lead me there, we'll visit them right now."

Every time Steve visited Sybil after that, he would take time to visit the children's wing. He was humbled and pleased at how much his visits improved the children's spirits. On his second visit, he saw an old acoustic guitar by a teenage girls' bed and he picked it up.

He began playing songs and singing to the girl. When he finished his third song, he realized that the room behind him was full of children patients as they stood and listened to his little impromptu concert. Behind the kids were parents and hospital staff crowded into the hall.

"Wow, I didn't realize so many people were listening. Was I too loud? Do you kids want me to be quieter?" teased Steve.

"No! We all like your singing," retorted a girl about eleven with her head wrapped in bandages. "You're the best singer in the world and we're lucky we're in the hospital now so we can hear you. Don't stop!"

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 23

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 45 milliseconds