• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • Ransom Ch. 06

Ransom Ch. 06

1234

Paul laughed out loud. Mira stared at Nathan strangely – he was still gripping her arm mid-air.

"Nice one, Nath," Paul joked, "Now here, give me the phone."

Kailee seemed to be the only one who realised her brother was deadly serious. She hadn't particularly wanted her captors hunted down anyway, but that wasn't the point. Why wouldn't Nathan want to find them? "What do you mean we're not going after them?" she frowned at Nathan who looked as though he was calculating something over in his head. He released Mira's arm and ran a hand through his ruffled hair. His weary green eyes were slightly wider, a little panicked.

"This isn't about the money," he breathed, "This was never about the money... " he trailed off and lowered his eyes.

"What is he talking about?" Paul glanced at Mira who shrugged in confusion. "Nath, are you feeling okay?"

Kailee had stilled. There was something in Nathan's expression she hadn't seen before. It was a mixture of fear and guilt. He wasn't telling them something. Her mind whirred. Dominic wasn't an idiot - why would he only request ten million dollars for her ransom? Of course it wasn't about the money. It was about winning. It was always about winning with him. But who was the opponent? Her glance moved to her older brother whose eyes were still at his feet.

"You know him," she whispered. "You know Dominic."

Nathan looked up at her, his expression grim, and she knew it was true. "Can you give us a moment?" he spoke to Paul, who frowned back in response.

"What? No way! We all deserve an explanation, Nath."

"Paul, please?" Nathan pleaded softly to his brother.

For a moment, Kailee thought Paul wasn't going to budge, but then he let out a heavy sigh, stood and walked out glumly like a dog who had been kicked outside.

"You too, Mira." Mira glared at Nathan with her pretty blue eyes and glanced at Kailee for approval. She waited until Kailee gave her a nod 'okay' before she stood gracefully and followed Paul into the next room.

There was a long silence in which Nathan swirled his mug of hot chocolate, his eyes cast downward, brow creased in agitation. Kailee just stared at him and waited for him to speak.

"We were friends in college." He spoke regretfully, but didn't break eye contact. "Me, Dominic, Jake... good friends."

"College?" Kailee shook her head in confusion, "They couldn't afford college. Dominic... he lived on the streets, he had nothing. Jake told me."

Nathan nodded. "That was until Jake's father took him in. Dom's father had worked for him briefly before he died. When he found Dom on the streets he took him in and gave him a home."

Kailee remembered Jake's story, he had said Dominic's father worked for a wealthy man. He hadn't told her that the wealthy man had been his own father. "So Jake's Dad paid for his college?"

"No. Dominic wouldn't take a cent even though the old man insisted. Everything Dominic owns he earned himself. And not from a life of crime. He founded new software for the Government when he was in high school. Since then, he's been investing in hotels, casinos, all sorts. Kailee, Dominic is richer than us."

"Fuck." Kailee leaned back into the couch, completely dumbfounded. That bastard hadn't even needed the money! Why put her through the stress of the past few days if he didn't even care about the money? A hundred thoughts were rolling through her mind, until she came to focus back on her guilt-ridden brother. "So what did you do to him?" she asked darkly.

Nathan blinked up at her. "What?"

"Dominic. You must have done something to him. Why else would he kidnap me?"

Nathan's eyes narrowed in irritation. "I didn't do anything."

Kailee glared right back at him. "I've been locked up in handcuffs for 48 hours, Nath, the least you can do is tell me why."

"I. Don't. Know." Nathan was flustered and a faint pinkness was spreading across his neck and ears. "I haven't spoken to Jake or Dominic in years."

"Right." Kailee could tell he wasn't being entirely honest with her. She stood angrily. "I'm going to bed. If you decide to tell me the truth, you know where I am." She stormed towards the hallway, her head a chaos of confusion and anger.

"Kailee wait," Nathan's voice held a hint of desperation. An unusual characteristic for him. She stopped in the doorway and looked back at her brother. "You're okay, right?" his eyes were full of concern.

Kailee shrugged, "Nothing I couldn't handle."

***

Kailee ascended the stairs towards her bedroom. Most of the upstairs lights were off and the hallways were painted with dark shadows. She could hear Paul and Nathan's rough murmurs from downstairs, but didn't want to listen to anything else. The floorboards creaked beneath her feet as she pushed the bedroom door open. A soft evening breeze brushed her skin and she realized the window was open. Had it been left open from the night she'd climbed out? Her heart beat hard in her chest and she fumbled her hand across the wall to find the light switch. With a click, the room was bright and her eyes scanned her surroundings anxiously. Everything was as she'd left it. She let out a shaky breath. "Get a grip, Kailee." She walked towards the open window nervously. The curtains were floating softly on the breeze and she gathered them to the side in her hands. From up here, she could see the length of the driveway and across the lush green gardens to the main street. She kept her eyes on the bushes, her mind expecting to see movement at any moment.

"Kailee?"

She jumped suddenly, her back pressed flat against the wall in fear.

Mira stood in the doorway, her eyes full of concern. "Sorry...did I frighten you?"

Kailee urged her rapid heartbeat to calm. "No. I mean, you did, but I'm fine." She moved to sit on the edge of the bed. Mira joined her. Together they lay on their backs, heads next to one another, staring up at the ceiling.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Mira asked.

"Nope. Let's talk about something else."

"Okay. Umm..." Mira paused in contemplation. "Oh! Carl finally kissed me!"

"Bleugh!" Kailee stuck her tongue out in disgust. "Spare me the details, I can't stand the Duchennes! You can do way better than him, Mira."

Mira let out an irritated little growl, "Why does everyone keep saying that?"

"Because it's true."

"Well if I recall correctly, you were once quite taken with a Duchenne boy." Mira teased. Kailee stiffened at the mention of that, she hadn't told Mira the full story about Carl's older brother Rob, only that it had ended and she didn't care for him anymore. She'd left out how he'd taken advantage of her and Nathan had nearly murdered him for it.

"I was stupid. Don't make my mistakes. New conversation please."

Mira sighed loudly, "Oh, I don't know – what do you want to talk about?"

Kailee smiled devilishly, "Hmm... how about what's going on between you and my brother?" she turned her head to the left and gave her fast blushing friend an accusatory stare. Mira sat upright faster than if she'd had a bucket of ice thrown over her.

"What!? Nothing! Why would you think there was something going on?" Her pitch was unusually high.

Kailee scoffed. "Are you kidding me? You two have been side-stepping each other since the moment I arrived home – you've barely said a word to each other."

"Well nothing is going on – aside from him being his usual asshole self of course." Mira was twirling her hair angrily. Kailee didn't think she'd ever seen the girl so agitated in all the years she'd known her.

Kailee laughed softly, "Okay, okay. But just so you know," she touched Mira's arm assuringly, "if there was something going on, I'd be happy for you." She slid beneath the bed covers and Mira flicked off the light, jumping in beside her. In the darkness, Kailee's mind flew to Dominic. She wondered if he was still furious with her or if he was just content to have received the money. Technically he'd won his little game. He had the ten mill; he'd proven whatever ridiculous point he was trying to make. Still, his words kept echoing in her head.

You know I'll come after you.

She pulled the blanket tighter around herself. She was being silly. There was no reason to fear him now. She was safe.

"Mira?" she whispered to see if her friend was still awake.

"Yeah?" a soft voice replied from the darkness.

"Could you please close the window?"

***

Kailee took in her reflection in the full length mirror. She'd lost a bit of weight over the past few days and her jeans had a bit of slack around her waist. Her eyes looked bloodshot from lack of sleep and not even her eyeliner had been able to cover it. She'd been restless all night and in the moments she had found sleep, her dreams had been of a tall, dark man touching her and making her scream out in pleasure. She'd woken with damp underwear, a flushed face and a dark craving. Thankfully Mira had still been sleeping, unaware of her shameful state.

Kailee reached for her sunglasses on the bedside table and placed them over her tired eyes. It was overcast outside, but what the hell. "Mira, you ready?" she yelled to the bathroom door.

"Two seconds!" Mira called out sloppily, obviously with a toothbrush in her mouth. After what sounded like a quick gargle, the door swung open and Mira waltzed out, clad in a daring high-waisted leather mini skirt and soft white lace singlet. Kailee did a double take. Her friend's usual ringlets had been straightened out and fell in long, soft blonde drapes down her face and back.

"Woahh! Who are you and what have you done with Mira?"

Mira rolled her eyes. "Don't be so dramatic; I've straightened my hair before."

"Yeah, like twice. Is that my skirt?

"

Mira smoothed down the leather over her thighs and nodded. "Yeah, I thought I'd give it a go; what do you think?"

"Looks hot. Keep it."

Mira flushed slightly, then collected her bag from the edge of the bed. The two of them walked downstairs, their heels echoing on the wooden steps. They'd just about reached the front door when Nathan appeared out of the kitchen, a frown on his face.

"Kailee, what are you doing?"

Kailee shrugged casually at her brother. "Nadia is hosting brunch, we told her we'd make an appearance."

Nathan looked at her like she was crazy. "You're kidding right? You've just got back, you can't... "

His eyes suddenly fell on Mira who had been rustling in her handbag before pulling out her lip balm. His gaze ran over the length of her and Kailee noticed his mouth drop ever so slightly before he turned back to her to continue his sentence. "I don't want you out in the public on your own, not so soon."

"Nath, what are you going to do? Keep me in hiding for weeks on end? They have their money. Whatever vendetta they had against you is over now. I'm safe." Wow, she just about convinced herself with that line. "Besides, safety in numbers, right?" she nodded to Mira who was sliding her glossed fingertip across her bottom lip.

Nathan's eyes skittered over Mira's bare legs. "Who else is going?" His eyes stayed on Mira, but Kailee gave the answer.

"Just the usual crew. Old school friends."

"It's forecast rain today; you should both dress warm."

Kailee motioned to her jeans in confusion, then realised her brother's eyes were still focused on Mira's legs. Her gorgeous blonde friend was blatantly ignoring every word Nathan said and had started typing a text message on her phone. "We'll be fine; it's probably indoors."

Nathan grabbed his sister's elbow and pulled her aside while Mira was preoccupied with her phone. "Are the Duchennes going to be there?"

Kailee had never seen her brother look so concerned. "I think they've gone to the country for the week." She narrowed her eyes. "Why?"

Nathan released her arm and shook his head. "They're trouble. I don't want you hanging around them."

Kailee stifled a laugh. "Me or Mira?"

Nathan glared back at her. "Either of you."

"Well while you like to think you have some influence over my actions, sadly you have none over Mira's."

"You're infuriating. Just stay safe – please."

Mira was already walking out the front door, but Kailee stayed a moment longer. "Nath... " her tone was serious.

Nathan's eyebrows raised slightly. "What is it?"

"Mira's my best friend and she's a beautiful person."

He frowned, "I know that."

"Good. Then you know she deserves better than to wind up with a guy like Carl Duchenne." Kailee stared him down for a moment, then turned and followed Mira out the door, leaving Nathan standing in the hallway, completely stumped.

***

Nadia's house was half the size of Kailee's, but impressive in its own right. It had a generous back garden full of pink and white roses and a large sunroom which had been set up for at least twenty guests with white clothed tables and an abundance of canapés and champagne.

Mira and Kailee plucked a glass each and joined the small crowd of guests outside on the perfectly manicured lawn.

"Kailee, darling!" Nadia, ever the schmoozer, bound over to her, her fake breasts protruding over her too-tight pink crop top. She air kissed Kailee with plump red lips, then did the same to Mira.

"Mira, you look simply delicious – you should wear your hair like that more often!" She gave the quick-blushing Mira a saucy wink before turning back to Kailee and linking her arm through hers, guiding her away from Mira.

"We missed you at the Northmount last weekend – poor Jean Marc was so looking forward to meeting you."

Kailee turned back to Mira and rolled her eyes. Nadia had been trying to set her up with her French cousin for over a month now.

"Luckily he's here today! Come, I'll introduce you right now."

Kailee necked her champagne, dropped it on a nearby table and collected a fresh one while Nadia led her over to a group of young men surrounded by a cloud of cigar smoke. The last thing she needed right now was to meet more men. All eyes turned to Kailee and Nadia as they approached the group and Kailee felt a few appreciative gazes wander over her body. Nadia pulled her over to a young-faced man with tanned skin and a cute smile.

"Kailee, this is my cousin, Jean Marc."

The young man stepped forward and, with his cigar free hand, he took one of Kailee's hands and brought it to his lips, holding her eye contact.

"A pleasure," he said with a strong accent, "Please, call me Marc."

He was slightly shorter than her with her stilettos on, but for his lack of height, he made up with charm. Kailee might have actually been into him if she could manage to get a particular pair of black eyes out of her mind. "Nice to meet you," she smiled lightly, then reached out to his cigarred hand, "May I?"

Marc looked slightly surprised, but handed her the cigar. Kailee drew the smoke into her mouth and savoured it for a moment before releasing a soft cloud from her lips into the air around them. "Not bad," she handed the cigar back to him and sipped from her champagne flute.

"It's rare to find a woman who enjoys a cigar." Marc was watching her intently, standing a little too close for someone she'd only just met. Or maybe she was just being paranoid; she never used to have an issue with proximity.

"Most women are boring," Kailee shrugged, distracting herself by glancing around the yard. It was the usual crowd she'd gone to school with. Mostly the rich and arrogant showing off their latest outfits or, in Nadia's case, latest assets. She caught the eyes of a few people she actually liked and nodded at them with a light wave. Jean Marc was asking her a question, but she didn't catch it because Carl Duchenne had just walked in, looking as cocky as ever. He kissed a few girls' cheeks sleazily before his eyes fell on Mira. Kailee didn't miss the sly smile on his face, nor the hunger in his eyes as they drank in her tight skirt and creamy legs.

"I'm sorry Marc, would you excuse me for a moment?" she touched his arm lightly and gave him a winning smile before walking away, leaving him with a baffled expression.

By the time she'd crossed the lawn, Carl was already planting a full kiss on Mira's lips, one hand firm on the back of her neck, the other snaking around her tiny waist. Mira seemed rather stiff for a girl who was being kissed by her prince charming. When they parted, Mira looked around nervously, a dark flush in her cheeks.

"Carl! What a nice surprise!" Kailee smiled falsely as she reached the happy couple. "I was under the impression you were hiking this weekend."

Carl gave Kailee a snide look, then turned back to Mira, pulling her closer to him. "Well that was until I heard this gorgeous girl was attending Nadia's brunch. I couldn't miss out on the opportunity to see her." Mira was beaming with joy at his words; apparently she didn't see right through him the way Kailee did.

"How strange, we only RSVP'd an hour ago." Mira was giving her daggers, but Kailee ignored her.

"Yeah, well, you know how fast word travels around here." Carl planted a soft kiss on Mira's shoulder and Kailee resisted the urge to scrunch up her nose in disgust.

"It certainly does. Speaking of, I hear the Jardine Hotel Chain might be up for sale soon; I hope business isn't going badly?" Kailee gave him her best false-concerned expression.

Carl looked agitated. "I don't know where you heard that nonsense. The Jardine brings in an annual profit that rivals the Brook," he referred to her own family's main hotel chain. "My brother is managing it now and business is booming. You remember Rob don't you?" Carl spoke casually, but Kailee didn't miss the knowing glint in his eyes.

"How could I forget?" Kailee smiled disdainfully, "his manners were impeccable. Clearly a family trait."

Mira was shifting uncomfortably, unsure of whether to cut into the conversation. Carl matched Kailee's cool smile and collected a full glass of champagne from the table beside him. "Enough shop talk," he turned to Mira, "Come, let's go inside; I hear the oysters are amazing."

Mira glanced at Kailee as if seeking her permission. "Would you like to join us, Kailee?"

Kailee shook her head, "No, you run along. I've got a few people to make small talk with." Jean Marc was already walking toward her eagerly.

***

It was early afternoon when they left the party and the sky was threatening to drizzle, despite the warm air. "Are you sure you're okay to drive?" Mira was walking airily towards the Audi Nathan had loaned them for the day. Although Kailee had knocked back several champagnes at the start of the day, she'd skulled some water at lunch time and felt level-headed enough to drive them both home.

"I'm fine," she said, opening the passenger door for her stumbling friend and yanking her skirt down, which was slowly creeping up her thighs.

"Thanks," Mira smiled and climbed into the car. "I don't know how I got tipsy so quickly."

Kailee shook her head and closed the passenger door before walking around to the driver's side and sliding in. "Maybe it had something to do with the amount of drinks Carl was handing you."

She saw Mira's mood deflate instantly. "You really don't like him, do you?"

"I just don't trust him with you."

Mira collected Kailee's hand and squeezed it hard. "Look, I know you all think I'm a delicate flower who needs protecting, but I'm a big girl, you know. You're always getting ticked off at Nathan for being overprotective so you should know how shit it feels when you do the same thing to me."

Kailee thought for a moment and then nodded, she hadn't ever considered it from that perspective. "You're right. I'm sorry. If you want to be with Carl then I fully support your decision. But," she paused for effect, "if he hurts you, he gets a broken nose. And that's if I'm feeling generous."

Mira laughed, "Okay, deal." Kailee steered the car down the driveway and onto the main road. "So um, what exactly is Nathan doing about the kidnappers?" Mira spoke softly, her hesitation about the topic obvious. If she didn't have alcohol in her system, Kailee though, she likely wouldn't have brought it up at all.

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonConsent/Reluctance
  • /
  • Ransom Ch. 06

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 47 milliseconds