• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 19

Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 19

123456

Gwen's surprise at her friends' practical joke was total. As she stood looking at her family with her mouth open, Steve hugged her shoulders to him and whispered in her ear.

"This was Lisa's idea. She had the patches waiting for her on the helicopters and passed them out when you weren't looking. Are you going to be able to laugh this off?"

"Are you kidding? They got me good! I love them even more for making the effort to set me up like this. We need friends and relatives that treat us this way. We keep being asked about all the power and influence we have, and it worries me," admitted Gwen. "If it's true, we have to stay grounded and always try to do the right thing. These friends and relatives are doing their best to keep us from getting swelled heads and becoming prima donnas. I love them all dearly."

"Good, because Billy's family is sponsoring a welcome home party for us, right now. A lot of our friends and neighbors will be stopping in to see Congresswoman Anderson, the woman that saved Vlad Novokov's life, performed in three of the best attended concerts ever, built a hospital, broke ground for another and..."

"Okay! I was there. You, Jordan, Charlie, and quite a few others had a great deal to do with those accomplishments. You always try to credit all of your successes to others. I remember everything very well, especially when you saved me from that knife wielding terrorist. Look how many people are here to welcome us! It was a great trip, but it's always so good to get back home."

"Let's get over to Billy's restaurant and shake some hands, and eat some steak," suggested Steve. "It's also a party to congratulate Jordan and Charlie on their family addition. Let's start working our way over there."

It took a while for Gwen, Steve, Jordan, and Charlie to reach the cars waiting for them. They were surrounded by neighbors, friends, and well wishers. The entire group was warmly welcomed, and closely questioned about Russia and the attack. Steve and Gwen were at the center of the crowd's curiosity.

"Everyone!" called Billy loudly. "There's a reception at our restaurant for our famous friends. There's a huge buffet and it's free, so please let's get to our cars and we'll see you there. These guys can answer questions better when their stomachs aren't growling."

When they reached Marsh's Landing, there was a large banner over the door congratulating Jordan and Charlie. Inside Gwen immediately noticed that Billy's father had already framed some new photographs from the trip and hung them up. The one taken of the Cheryl, Steve and Gwen as they left the scene of the attack covered a large portion of the wall. Gwen was able to see her blood shot eye, the bruising around her other eye, and the blood on her arms, hands, and torso, along with what Gwen had to admit was some pretty impressive cleavage.

Cheryl looked frightened, but seemed fairly calm, while Steve was something else again. He looked amazing with his shirt all but gone and bloody lines crossing his hard abs. His eyes were extremely intense as he seemed to stare at the camera. He also had blood running down one forearm and dripping off his hand, and bruising around one eye. His good arm was placed protectively over Gwen's shoulder.

There were also several pictures of the huge crowds that attended each of their concerts, along with several of the friends as they performed for the mass of humanity in attendance. Those pictures were bunched on the wall under the heading 'The World Capital Tour'. Finally, there was a photo of the new hospital in Kiev with the Lady in Red name and logo prominently displayed.

The entourage had managed some sleep on the flight back, so they were all able to remain sharp and respond to the many questions their friends and neighbors had for them. Cheryl brought her parents over to speak to Gwen and Steve.

"We were petrified when we heard about the attack, but your people called us almost immediately to let us know that Cheryl was okay. She can't stop talking about how brave you both were. It's all so hard to imagine, but Cheryl was there and saw it all, so we know it's true," added Mrs. Baxter. "Thanks so much for taking her along, and for keeping her from harm's way. Now she's in a picture on Marsh's wall of fame! We're very proud of her, and of you, Jordan and Charlie for making Sparta a well known, thriving community."

Steve was surprised when Senator Chatham suddenly appeared in front of Gwen and him. "I'll be back in Washington and in your office Monday morning," promised Steve. "You didn't have to fly out here to check on me."

"That's why I'm here," responded Senator Chatham. "First let me congratulate you both on some excellent work under incredibly difficult circumstances. I saw the video of the attack and you both responded quickly and very effectively. President Hanson was quite proud of you both.

Now for the bad news. Two days ago, North Korea captured five Americans that had been sailing well off their coast until a bad storm disabled their boat. It caused them to drift into North Korean waters where they were picked up by their navy. We've demanded their release, but you know how unpredictable Jong can be. He won't even discuss freeing them."

"I have a bad feeling about where this is going," interrupted Gwen hotly. "Steve will not be traded for any person or group, for any reason! It's unethical and immoral to even ask him. He will not be used as chattel in some trade with the Koreans!"

"I couldn't agree more," responded Senator Chatham. "That will not be happening. I promise you that. However, Jong wants to discuss the release of Hampton Duval's family with Steve. He says that Steve is the only one he'll speak with on the matter. We're leaving Monday morning for North Korea."

"We're not talking about Captain Hampton Duval, are we," asked Steve with obvious concern.

"The same," replied Senator Chatham. "He was an instructor at the Academy while you were there. You were in some of his classes. You obviously remember him."

"Yeah. I even met his wife and kids a couple of times. They always came to our football games and even some of the practices. His son, Hampton, Jr. must be around twenty now. He was headed for Princeton, if I remember correctly. The two girls would be a few years younger. He loved sailing and he was really good at it. I went out on the Potomac with him a couple of times. He knows his stuff."

"The Koreans are suggesting that he was spying on them since he's an officer in the Navy and was out of uniform, if you can imagine that. They were on a three month family vacation. They just had some bad luck. Regardless, your Navy friends want him and his family back pretty badly. You know how they look after their own. Anything less than their safe return will not be looked upon kindly by the U.S. government," worried Senator Chatham.

"What do they expect Steve to do? The last time he went on one of these trips, we wound up dragging his broken body out of a cave a few days after a nut job tried to cut off his head!" interjected Gwen with passion. "Never think he'll go through that again. He's promised me and he always keeps his word."

"Gwen, I repeat what I said earlier. Steve will not be used to barter with the Koreans. But if he's the only one they'll talk to, so we need to set up the meeting. We owe it to the Duval family," replied Senator Chatham calmly as she secretly admired the fire the younger woman displayed for her man.

"I'll be okay, Gwen. I gave you my promise and I'll keep it, along with my head, thank you. I'm curious about why Jong wants to see me, but if it'll help Captain Duval, I'll gladly do all I can."

"As I said, we're leaving early Monday morning for North Korea. You've had some time off, although it didn't appear to be relaxing or restful," chuckled Senator Chatham. "There's something else I need to discuss with you.

"The Secretary of the Navy is concerned about morale on some of our aircraft carriers. It seems that they won't be coming home from the Mideast for a while. He's dreading the reaction when the crews are told it's going to be a few more months, at least.

"He's uncertain about being able to order you to perform for the crew, so he wants me to ask if you'd consider doing it. He feels it would help offset the disappointment the crew's going to feel. Here's the kicker. He wants you to perform on the Teddy Roosevelt on July 3rd, and then fly to the Nimitz for another show on July 4th. He'd very much appreciate it. It would mean that you could get much of the summer off to do your film" promised Chatham as she waited for Steve's reaction.

"Senator, I usually perform with my friends on Independence Day, but I sure can't refuse this request. The others will do fine without me. I just hold them back, anyway. I'll ask Charlie to line up a band I can take with me. I don't know how well the crew will enjoy my efforts, but I'll do my best. Have any ideas about who I should try to get to go with me Gwen? I don't want to take any of the guys that'll be playing for you, Jordan, and Charlie."

"I have a few ideas, but let me ask, Jordan and Charlie and see what they think," replied Gwen as she waved her two friends over.

"Steve has practically been ordered to perform for the crews of the Nimitz and the Teddy Roosevelt on July3rd and July 4th. He's wondering where he'll get a band to play with him," stated Gwen matter-of-factly.

"Wow! I've always wanted to get a ride on one of those big boats!" bubbled Jordan. "I just hope I don't get morning sea sickness. I bet that's pretty unpleasant."

"I'll tell the guys to plan on spending the holiday in the Mideast," grinned Charlie. "We'll give those sailors the show of their lives!"

"It looks like your problem is solved, or don't you want Jordan, Charlie, and me to go with you?" teased Gwen.

"Are you kidding? I'd love it, but I hated to ask you to give up your holiday," responded a delighted Steve. "I do worry about the reaction you and Jordan will create onboard those ships. Those guys will be way over the top when they see you two walking around the deck. Would the Secretary mind if Gwen, Jordan, and Charlie came along, and we brought the band?"

"I think that was Secretary Gordon's hope all along," smiled Senator Chatham. "He knew he could squeeze you a little since you're already in the Navy, but he was worried about asking your friends."

"Would you happen to have his contact information?" asked Gwen. "I'd like to speak with him."

"I can't give you his number, but I'm supposed to call him to report whether Steve would perform or not. I'll call him right now, and after I speak with him, I'll give you the phone," promised Chatham as she hit a number on her cell.

"Mr. Secretary, it's all set. He'll perform on the carriers. Yes, and they're all going to be there. I think this will raise everyone's morale. It's a stroke of genius. But there's one thing more. I have a young Congresswoman here that insists she speak to you. Right again! Here she is," finished Chatham as she handed her cell to Gwen.

"Where do you get off trying to force Steve into playing for the crews on these carriers?" demanded Gwen. "He's in the Navy, but I doubt that having to sing to a bunch of forlorn sailors is part of his contract. You should be sorry! From now on, you call me if you want us to help you out by doing a concert or two for the Navy!

"This is a favor to us!" insisted Gwen. "We love these men and women that sacrifice so much for us. If we can work it out, we'll go anyplace, anytime to help out any branch of the military! So now you want me to do some promotions for the Navy? Why didn't you ask me years ago? I'd love to, especially if I can make them with Steve! So we're on the same page? If you even need anything from us, you'll call me and we'll try to work it out, okay?"

Gwen was all smiles as she returned Senator Chatham's phone. "We'll be spending the July 4th holiday on a couple of carriers and I'll be making some of those Navy commercials with Steve while we're there. Jordan, I picked up the feeling that he'd like you and Charlie to make some, too. I wonder why he never asked before."

The foursome returned to mingling with their friends and neighbors. Sparta was extremely proud of its famous citizens and the locals were anxious to let them know exactly that. Gwen, Jordan, Steve, and Charlie were on a first name basis with most of the residents of the town and they greeted them warmly. It always made people proud when they were addressed personally by such successful, famous, and wealthy celebrities.

Steve watched as a stranger approached Stephanie and engaged her in what appeared to be a private conversation. Steve was certain that he had never seen the man before. He wasn't surprised when Stephanie led him over to speak with the four friends.

"This is James Hawthorne. He flew in from Britain last night. He's with the World Health Organization and he'd like to speak with you guys. James, this is Gwen, Jordan, Charlie, and Steve.

"What can we do for you, Mr. Hawthorne?" asked Gwen as she shook his hand.

"You're obviously familiar with our organization and how we work to eradicate certain communicable diseases around the world through free vaccinations. We rely a great deal on donations from countries, private enterprise, and the public to fund our efforts. We're trying to assure that every child is vaccinated against as many diseases as possible.

"To that end, we're trying to schedule an international telethon originating in London. I've been sent here to ask you to perform in London at the telethon. It's our belief that your appearance would greatly increase the donations."

"How many acts will be appearing and how long will you want us to perform?" asked Charlie curiously.

"Honestly, we felt that we'd start at the top and work our way down. How long would you be willing to perform? We'd work any other bands, singers, and guests around your schedule. We'll broadcast for twelve hours. We'd want you to appear when the audience would potentially be the largest, which we believe would center around five o'clock London time. That would allow most of Europe the ability to watch before midnight, and all of the United States should be awake and able to tune in as well."

"When would this take place and what's the most amount of time you'd allow us?" asked Jordan.

"You can have the entire twelve hours if you want it. We're setting it up for Saturday, June 28th. As I said, you'd be the stars that draw the audience, so we'll work to accommodate you any way we can."

"What do you say guys?" asked Jordan as she looked at the other three. "It's for a good cause. Should we do four hours? Now that I'm pregnant, I find myself a lot more concerned about the health and safety of all children."

"I think four hours would be fair. If we tried for any more, we'd be tired and our performance would suffer," agreed Gwen.

"I have to speak with Senator Chatham to be sure I can go. She owns my soul at the moment. But I expect she'll be fine with it. I think we'd like to be on from four to eight PM, London time," added Steve. "What do you think, Charlie? You're the guy we rely on to get everything put together for our gigs."

"Let's do it," replied Charlie. "Now that I'm going to be a father, I feel the same as Jordan does about kids. Let's help as many as we can."

"I can't tell you how pleased this will make everyone at WHO," stated Hawthorne. "When I volunteered for this mission, I was rather nervous. I'd heard that you were all caring people that worked to help less the fortunate, but I feared it was all PR to help promote your many enterprises. Now I find you're very down to earth, caring people that happen to be extremely talented and wealthy."

"I've heard of a James Hawthorne that's an advisor to The Prime Minister," recalled Steve. "Is there any connection?"

"That would be my father," replied the young Brit. "I come from a politically active family. I expect to run for the House of Commons next year. I should be Prime Minister within ten years, or so my family thinks."

"Well, thanks for the invitation. We'll do our very best to help raise some money for your organization," promised Gwen. "I've always wanted to see England and now I will. I can hardly wait!"

Steve and Gwen spent two more hours shaking hands and recounting their experiences in response to the many questions their friends and neighbors constantly posed. They were a very tired couple when they finally made it to bed much later in the evening.

"You be careful in Korea," cautioned Gwen to Steve as she laid her head on his shoulder and quickly fell asleep.

After a restful Sunday, Steve found himself on a jet headed to North Korea early Monday morning. Senator Mason and several other members of Congress made the trip. Naomi, as an aide to Senator Mason, also made the journey and sat next to Steve on the long flight.

"Look at all of those nosey people that keep looking at us," pointed out Naomi. "They expect us to have sex any minute so they can tell everyone about it."

"Is sitting near me bad for your reputation?" asked a concerned Steve. "I never gave it a thought. I enjoy your company and we were having a good conversation. Would you like me to find a different seat?"

"Are you kidding?" laughed Naomi."I'd be sitting on your lap if I could get away with it. I'm used to people thinking, and even suggesting that I'm having an affair with you. Lots of classmates at the Academy thought we were lovers because we spent so much time together."

"I think most of them knew the truth, but they were jealous that I was best friends with the best looking girl there. Guys can be as catty and jealous as any woman."

"We are pretty good friends, aren't we?" smiled Naomi as she gave Steve a kiss on his cheek. "I have a great boyfriend and I love Gwen, but sometimes I wonder what things would have been like if I had been a little friendlier back when we were in Cuba," admitted Naomi.

"I know what you mean. You're gorgeous and have an amazing body. If I hadn't fallen in love with Gwen, I'd have chased you all over the place," replied Steve. "But I am in love with Gwen and I'm totally committed to her, so we'll have to be happy with being best friends."

"That'll have to be enough. Besides, Jared is a very good man, and a wonderful lover. I'm not complaining at all. My life has turned out pretty well. Jared, Gwen, and you are the big reasons for that.

"Now, let's try to guess what'll happen when we get to Korea. Jong is known to be a bit off center in his thinking. Why does he insist on speaking with you?" wondered Naomi.

Naomi had the answer to her question the following afternoon when she sat with the American contingent meeting with the North Korean leader. After some brief small talk and introductions, Jong cut to the chase through an interpreter.

"You have travelled here to try to secure the release of the American spies we captured last week," began Jong. "I will release them to you if Lieutenant Hammer can meet our conditions. Are you interested, Lieutenant Hammer?"

"We expect to take the Duvall family back to the states with us, so name your conditions, Sir. If they are reasonable, we will do our best to meet them," responded Steve.

"It's quite simple. I propose a shooting competition between you and our nation's best marksmen," stated Jong. "If you win, you may leave with the American spies."

"I tentatively agree," nodded Steve thoughtfully, "as long as the competition is fair and safe. I'll need to know the details before I can commit, but if it's fair. I'm in."

"Then it is agreed," smiled Jong. "We will meet at our new shooting range tomorrow at noon. For tonight, I want all of you to be my guests at a formal dinner. I am very curious about the movies you make. Perhaps you'd be interested in making a movie here in Pyongyang? We have some excellent locations for a movie. Of course, North Korea could not be portrayed as less than the enlightened nation that it is."

123456
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • Lady in Red Pt. 02 Ch. 19

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 9 milliseconds