• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Disappearing Act Ch. 03

Disappearing Act Ch. 03

123

The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 15 - Confession Is Not Good For The Other Perp's Soul

Cindy Ross came into Interrogation-A alone. Officer Lydia Green was just inside the anteroom. Willa Mason was waiting for Cindy, alone.

"Willa," Cindy asked. "Do you want a lawyer?"

"Not yet." replied Willa.

"In any case, I'm going to read you your rights." said Cindy.

"If you do, I won't speak." said Willa. "I want to talk to you, privately, off the record. If you're recording this, then turn it off, or let's go somewhere else."

"I can't play that game." Cindy said. "But tell me, what do you want?"

"If I tell you everything, I want no charges against myself. I walk, as if I was never there." said Willa. "I'll give you enough to get the real bastard, in exchange for full immunity."

"I can't do that at this point." Cindy said. "And I have to read you your rights first."

"I'll walk anyway." Willa said. "Your boss, the guy with the crowbar, he fucked me earlier today. I've got audio and video recordings. We both know what that means, not only for your case but the scandal that will happen."

"Do you have a semen sample?" Cindy asked.

"I've got the recordings." Willa countered. "That's enough."

"I suspect you have no semen sample, and I'm willing to bet that audio and video recording didn't come out very well." Cindy said immediately. "I'm even willing to bet it's just static. But what you just did was attempt blackmail. That in itself is a felony, Willa, and I can assure you that the video recorder in this room right now is working perfectly. So you are going down, one way or another."

Cindy turned to the one-way glass and gave a thumbs-up, jerking it upwards. I turned on the recording equipment, which had been off, and disabled my device that jams recording... which had been on just in case Internal Affairs was trying to listen in.

Cindy then read Willa her rights, verbatim from the card. At that point, Phyllis came through the anteroom and into the Interrogation room, followed by ADA Paulina Patterson.

"Miss Mason," Phyllis said severely, a tone she used with me growing up whenever I was in real and deep trouble, "it's time for you to stop with the games. Now you can work out a plea deal with the ADA here and tell us all you know, or you're going to be charged with murder and conspiracy to commit murder..."

Part 16 - The Final Interview

On Friday morning, July 17th, at 8:05am, I walked into Interrogation-1 with ADA Paulina Patterson. Cindy and my mom were watching through the one-way glass. Jimmy Tolson was already sitting at the table, wearing an orange jumpsuit, his lawyer sitting next to him, both just having been brought in by Patrolman Hicks, who stayed in the room per requirements.

Saying nothing else, not even a good morning, I read Jimmy Tolson his rights from the card. When I asked him if he understood, he refused to answer.

"Okay, let the record and the video show that you have been read your rights in the presence of your lawyer, and you don't need to answer the confirmation for my Constitutional duty to have been done; as your lawyer is sitting next to you, you're fully represented and your rights maintained."

"What is this about, Commander?" the lawyer asked, witheringly but warily. He could tell something was up, and he was correct. "My client has invoked, and you're fast reaching the point where you need to swear out a warrant to charge him, or else let him go."

"I just have one question for you, Jimmy." I said, my eyes boring into his, seeing the contempt there, matching my own for him. "Just this: What did you do with the bodies?"

"What?!" asked the lawyer. "This is-" I held up my hand, silencing the legal beagle while maintaining the staredown with Jimmy. I'd seen the fear flash behind his eyes.

"C'mon, Jimmy," I said, "you might as well tell us. I already have an incredibly strong case against you... for murder in the first degree, with premeditation and under aggravating circumstances that will get you the death penalty."

"Now just a minute-" the lawyer tried again. I turned to him and made a motion to Paulina, who handed the lawyer a document.

"This is a warrant for the arrest of Jimmy Tolson." said ADA Patterson. "For the murders of his brother Billy Joe Tolson and Mrs. Bonnie Jean Mason, both human beings." The lawyer examined the document.

"It's valid, Jimmy." the lawyer said. "So, what is your evidence?"

"Willa has confessed," said Paulina, "and has agreed to turn State's Evidence in exchange for a plea deal. She has told us how she helped your client stage the scene of his brother and Mrs. Mason going to the upstairs room, and how he murdered them." Jimmy looked at his lawyer.

"The only thing Willa could not tell us," I said, "is where and how you disposed of the bodies. Why don't you at least do the families the decency of telling us where the bodies are?"

"Why should I give a shit about them?" Jimmy said, his voice full of hatred and derision. "They sure as hell didn't give a damn about me. And you can put me to death if you like, but I won't help you at all."

"There is no hope for any deal for you, except perhaps some consideration if you tell us where the bodies are." I said. "In fact, if you don't tell me where you put them, I'm going to make sure you don't get the death penalty. You'll get life without parole. You'll be placed in the general prison population, and I'll make sure you don't get protective custody or isolation. You'll be bent over and your ass turned up, and you will be raped in your sorry little ass, every... single... day. You will be some gangbanger's bitch, and you will give him and his buddies sex whenever they order it. You'll be passed around like a piece of meat, and you won't be able to shit or spit after they finish using your ass and mouth."

I leaned in. "Oh, you think nothing can be worse than what your brother did to you? Shoving your head into a shit-filled toilet, ramming a vibrator up your little ass like he did? Well, you got him back for that, you murdered him, and I might even understand that, just a little bit. But shit, boy, after the gangbangers are finished with you, you'll be begging them to kill you or help you commit suicide."

"Can this bastard really talk to me this way?" Jimmy asked his lawyer, looking sideways at him as he leaned back.

"At this point, with what they have," said the lawyer, "there's nothing more I can do for you." The lawyer turned to me. "If he gives you want you want, will you give him protective custody?"

"He'll get Supermax." I said. "Total isolation, 24/7. Life without possibility of parole, forever in Supermax. That's the best I can do for him." Paulina nodded in agreement.

"I'll take Supermax, and complete protective custody." said Jimmy Tolson. After Paulina put it in writing, Jimmy Tolson started talking.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We stood on the edge of Reservoir Lake at its northernmost point, nearly into Nextdoor County. Indeed, we'd called the Nextdoor County Sheriff to let him know what we were doing, and that the bodies dumped here might be on their side of the line. Their Sheriff said to just bring them out of the water on our side of the line, which would keep it kosher with him.

A Police Diver, also a member of our SWAT Team, surfaced just yards within the line. He then submerged again, and I knew that he was telling the other divers to bring the bodies more westerly, to ensure we were on our side of the County line when they surfaced. Indeed, when they did, they were well inside our borders.

The bodies were heavily wrapped in plastic and preserved well enough that my Crime Lab team, led by Dr. Woodrow personally, said that they should easily be able to get enough DNA to make matches. Even so, a necklace found on one of the bodies was known to be Bonnie Jean Mason's.

Part 17 - Insurance Issues, Twice Redux

The party moves fast in my Town & County. At 2:30pm that Thursday afternoon, I entered the offices of Richard Hudson of Reems & Berry Insurance, brushing past the receptionist and the man's personal secretary. I was wearing a uniform: police blue pants and my light blue uniform shirt with dark blue soft shoulderboards displaying my rank, so it wasn't like they didn't know who and what I represented.

"Ah, Commander!" said Hudson, coming out from behind his desk. His two partners were in the room with him, poring over a sheaf of documents on his desk. "I'm so glad to see you! What an excellent job on that case! We're filing the motions in Court now; since the murderers were family members, we're going fight having to pay off the policies to... you guessed it... family members. And we have you to thank for helping us!"

"I understand a Court is going to decide that." I said. "It may not go your way."

"Oh, I think we have a good case, a strong case." Hudson said, his pleasure molded onto his face. I was about to take some pleasure myself... in wiping that grin off the bastard's face. "At the least, we tie this up in Court for several more years, and at the end I think we win this one... like we always should have."

"Well, you won't be thanking me too much," I said, "after I tell you why I am here." I squared up to him. "Mr. Richard Hudson, you are under arrest, as are your two partners here... ah! ah! ah!, keep those hands where I can see them!" I said as the men's faces registered their open shock. My hand hovered over my gun until the men raised their hands.

At that moment, the door burst open and several SBI Agents, led by Ted Crenshaw and Jeff Reubens, poured into the room. Several dozen other agents were pouring into the company, ushering everyone out and seizing every document and computer that they could lay hands on. Crenshaw cuffed Hudson as Reubens and another agent cuffed the partners.

"The SBI was called in by the State Insurance Commissioner," I said, "after the Town & County Police Department discovered and documented evidence of several serious crimes by you and your partners, Mr. Hudson. And the FBI is probably going to join the party when the Racketeering and RICO charges start bubbling up. Indeed, Mr. Hudson, I am so happy to bring your Company's matter to a most very successful conclusion. You have a nice day."

With that, I turned and left, leaving the case to the State. I had one other mission to perform, and it was going to be far harder to accomplish: I had to tell the families of Billy Joe Tolson and Bonnie Jean Mason that their loved ones were dead, and at the hands of more of their loved ones.

I called Captain Ross as I headed to the Mason home... there was no telling how Art was going to react to this, and I needed the Police Boxing Matches Champion at my side...

Part 17 - Solution

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am Saturday morning, July 18th. "Channel Two News is bringing you continuing coverage of two crimes solved by the Town & County Police this past week!"

"The first case," shouted Bettina into her microphone from the front of the Courthouse, "is the resolution of the disappearance of Billy Joe Tolson and Bonnie Jean Mason nearly seven years ago! Jimmy Tolson and Willa Mason were arrested in connection with the murders, and the bodies of the victims were found yesterday and the families notified.

"Commander Donald Troy released a statement praising his Cold Case team, led by Captain Cindy Ross, for solving this difficult case. Commander Troy also praised Captain Ross's exceptional leadership qualities on this and many other cases."

Everyone in MCD was ooh-ing and ahh-ing over the praise for Cindy, who was blushing and looking at me with a not-so-thrilled look, wondering why I'd made sure to get her name and praises out to the Public like that. And oh yes, I had a very good reason for doing that... it was namely for Chief Harold Bennett's benefit.

Bettina continued, "Commander Troy also praised his Vice Squad's Financial Crimes and RICO team for uncovering evidence that led to the arrest of several key officers of the Reems & Berry Insurance Company. This company was involved in the life insurance policies of Billy Joe Tolson and Bonnie Jean Mason, as well, and that case is headed once again to Court.

"Meanwhile, in a rare show of cooperation, the Town & County Police have worked with the SBI and State Insurance Commissioner to bring charges against Reems & Berry and some of their highest officers, and the FBI may also be brought into this rapidly expanding case. Reems & Berry gave large campaign contributions to several State politicians, and there is potential for further scandal rocking the State Capitol. This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!"

"Sorry, Mom." I said to my mother, who was watching with us. "I wanted to announce you as part of the Cold Case team, but I was advised that your status as an Auxiliary Detective might be scrutinized; but more important, we don't want the bad guys to realize you're my mom, not that we're keeping it a secret or anything... we just don't want to bring on any issues."

"Oh, I quite agree, son." said Phyllis. "In fact, it was I who suggested to your Public Relations Department that my name not appear in the public pervue in any capacity in these matters. I won't even be called to the stand in trials unless it's totally necessary." I was relieved that my mother understood the security needs, though I'd love to have given her the public credit she deserved.

"Same excuse for you, Julie." I said to Detective Newton, who'd been instructed to come in and watch the broadcast with us. "I definitely don't want the white collar criminals around here to know who 'The Abacus' really is. You have to remain our secret weapon."

"I have no problem with that." said Julie Newton. "I just wish I could get a raise out of it."

"I'm working on that. Keep hope alive on it. August 1st is coming." I said. Everyone looked surprised, and Julie looked happy... for the first time in months.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday night we were in the back room of the Cop Bar, enjoying some celebratory beers and toasting Cindy and my mom Phyllis on their success. We also made sure to toast Julie Newton and the I.T./Data Guys for their roles in landing the big fish of the Insurance Company, a case which was beginning to get even national attention. And it was the first time in a while that we were able to pry Julie Newton out of Headquarters and to one of our parties. I wanted her to feel like part of the family... our Police family, that is.

Martin Nash came up to me for a quiet moment of conversation. "I just got word that the FBI is going to step into the Insurance Company issue. They think Richard Hudson might have been an associate of 'Superior Bloodlines', and basically laundered money for them through staged injuries and deaths, not to mention paying out more money than policies were worth."

"Good." I replied. "I think our Moriarty was also behind the scenes on this one."

"Think he's part of 'Superior Bloodlines', too?" asked Martin Nash, just a bit too quickly and incisively.

"No." I said. "He's his own man... or woman, as the case may be. But has he advised them on criminal enterprises, making and laundering money, and setting up murders of Blacks and Jews? There can be no doubt..."

Just then, someone rang a glass. "Okay, usually Cindy asks this," said Teresa Croyle, "but since she led the Cold Case Team solving the case, I get to ask... what was the answer and how did you get to it? All of you, Commander included?"

"I can lead people." said Cindy. "But when it comes to observation, deduction and knowledge, I'm still the Junior Troy around here. Phyllis, Don, it's your floor."

"Cindy is simply too modest about her own abilities." said Phyllis. "She did wonderfully on this case."

"Hear hear." I said, raising my beer mug in salute. Cindy was not cajoled, and had Phyllis do the talking.

"Let me just say this." said Phyllis, beginning the 'lecture'. "We came to our conclusions from different angles. It was a good case of Don knowing some things, me knowing some things, and Cindy knowing some things. Put together, we came to the correct conclusion and were able to make arrests and find the bodies of those poor people."

"Tell us first how they got out of that attic room." said Sonali, of the self-named 'Data Guyz" team.

"I was confused about that, also." said Phyllis. "It was Don that got me on the right path, there. Don?" Everyone looked at me.

"Well, they had no trouble getting out of that room," I said, "for the very simple reason they were never in that room to begin with." There were gasps and murmurs as I continued.

"There were three possibilities for the disappearance of this couple." I said. "First, alien abductions or the U.S.S. Enterprise came along and beamed them up, Scotty. I somewhat discounted that." There was laughter, then I continued "Second, they got out without anyone seeing them, not only in the game room but downstairs or anywhere else."

There were murmurs as I said "No one else saw them go up from the ground floor, no one on the ground floor saw them come down or leave, never mind the game room. Ergo, that left the idea that they were never in the room, and however improbable, that appeared to be the truth of the matter."

"So I'm now looking at Jimmy Tolson's story as a fabrication. Add to it that Jimmy was the only person who said he saw Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean go upstairs, and that no one else could even remember seeing Billy Joe for hours if at all, and I had a good idea that they had met their fates elsewhere."

"So... so why didn't someone else think of that?" asked Martin Nash.

"They may have." I said. "But they believed Jimmy Tolson when he passed the lie detector test, also. I'll get to that in a minute, but for now here's what happened: Bonnie Jean came to the party with her husband, but then had to go back to her house for some reason, who knows what, maybe to get her cell phone that she'd left. Billy Joe, with whom she was having an affair, and a pretty hot one at that, saw her and snuck off to her house himself. Maybe it was pre-arranged and coordinated, or just spontaneous. But the bottom line is that with the family at the Tolson house, Billy Joe and Bonnie Jean were making love at the Mason house."

"Jimmy Tolson knew they were there, because his confederate and lookout told him." I continued. "He snuck over to the Mason home, and did indeed see his big brother having sex with Mrs. Mason, upon whom he had a huge crush, which my mom will discuss in a minute. Jimmy then went into the bedroom, stabbed them both, then wrapped the bodies tightly in plastic and hid them in air vents. So the bodies were hidden in the Mason home, not the Tolson home. And that's how Jimmy passed the polygraph: he did see what he said he saw... just not where everyone thought he saw it."

"So he had the plastic ready to go, and apparently the murder weapon?" asked Martin Nash.

"The plastic was hidden in the air vents," I said. "which shows plenty of premeditation and forethought. He'd planned it for some time, and was just waiting for an opportunity to kill his brother. Of course, he's not all that big and strong, and bodies are heavy. So he clearly had an accomplice. Who would that be? Willa Mason is the only possible choice."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Disappearing Act Ch. 03

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 10 milliseconds