• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Mover Ch. 08

The Mover Ch. 08

"Penny, there you are!" Where were you yesterday? You missed the meeting!"

Sheri was so sweet; I regretted that I hadn't spent more time with her. Truth be told, I'd been so busy trying to hold my own life together, I hadn't time for anyone else. I decided, then and there, that I would change. From then on, I resolved to allow more people into my life. I also reminded myself that I may not be employed any longer.

"Thanks, Sheri; did I miss anything?"

"Nothing much yesterday, but guess what? Kevin Johnson is back from Austin. He'll be at today's meeting. Come on, the girls are waiting!"

As I allowed Sheri to drag me to the conference room, I reveled in the thought of Debi and Patti waiting for me, not to mention covering for me the day before. I felt as if I'd awakened from a bad dream, or falling asleep to a good one, I couldn't be sure. Mike was right; I guess I did get too much sun during the move. Mike was right about a lot of things. I couldn't wait to see him!

Debi and Patti waved us over to the end of the conference table. They'd saved two places for us. Once everyone was seated, a tall man with silver hair in a grey suit stood at the podium.

"I'd like to start today's meeting by saying how happy I am to be home. When I use the word, "home," that's exactly how I feel. Sometimes in life, we tend to forget where home is, and what it means to be home. While I was in Austin, I thought about all of you, and I realized how much you've all come to mean to me. I am so proud of each and every one of you. I was proud to represent our family, for our achievements preceded my arrival and could not be denied. You should all be very proud of yourselves."

"Before we get back to business, I would like to extend my belated welcome to our newest employee, Mrs. Penny Collins-Lynch. I also wish to apologize for leaving her to find her way in the dark, so to speak. I wasn't aware that Denise Swanson was leaving The Company the very day Mrs. Lynch began. In spite of this, Mrs. Lynch has done a remarkable job with her assignments. Frankly, I don't know how she's done it, but she has made it clear that she has become a welcome addition to our family. Mrs. Penny Collin-Lynch, would you please rise, so that we may all welcome and congratulate you?"

My face burned with pride and embarrassment as I stood up to face the applause of my co-workers. If that weren't enough, someone yelled, "Speech!" until it became a chant that was quickly hushed. With all of their eyes, all of their attention on me, I grasped for the right words, and then I thought of Mike, and I knew exactly what to say.

"Thank-you, Mr. Johnson for the kind words. Although I've only just met you, I think it speaks well of you that you have taken full responsibility for the unfortunate misunderstanding regarding myself and Denise Swanson. Many would have passed the blame on to a subordinate. I believe in fixing the problem, not the blame. After all, our primary goal is to satisfy our customers, so why not take the most efficient course of action?"

So far, so good, I thought to myself. I held the room captive with my little speech, so I plunged ahead.

"I have found the same integrity in your staff. In your absence, they were all willing to lend me a hand, whenever possible. I don't know what I would have done without Sheri, Patti and Debi, in particular."

I was rounding third and heading for home. Mike was right; the best way to get someone's attention is to flatter them, even if the praise isn't warranted. Besides, some may actually try to live up to the compliments I was handing out so freely.

"I have always considered myself a team player, but it seems that you and your staff have taken that concept to its highest level. I look forward to working with you, Mr. Johnson, and I am proud to be a member of this family."

The conference room burst into applause. I was bombarded with handshakes, pats on the back from the men and hugs from the women. Suddenly, all the weeks of doubt and frustration seemed to melt away. I wasn't buying the family spin, not for a moment, buster, but if that's what it took to have my voice heard, just call me cousin.

After the meeting, I spent the rest of the morning in Kevin Johnson's office. I listened attentively as he regaled me with stories of his trip to Austin, his rise up The Company's corporate ladder, his home life, and his ethics on doing business in the aerospace industry. He seemed like a good guy, well intentioned and knowledgeable in his field. I had to keep a straight face when he actually used the "fix the problem, not the blame" slogan on me. Mike was right again, he'd already made it his own!

* * * * *

When I got to my cubicle, Mike was sitting in my chair. I couldn't believe my eyes, he looked so different. His suede boots were replaced with saddle back oxfords, his slacks were linen khakis, his shirt had the Ralph Laurent logo. But the main thing was his hair. The pony tail was gone, replaced with a stylish short haircut. He wore no eyeglasses.

"Mike, oh my gosh; you look so different! I can't believe you cut your hair, you look ten years younger!"

"That's why I'm sitting here; I was afraid you wouldn't recognize me."

"Mike, it doesn't matter what you do with you hair or your clothes, I'd know you anywhere."

"I suppose you're right, my teeth will always give me away. I heard that you bowled them over in the morning meeting."

I smiled and pretended to stretch my nose with my fingers. "Mike, I used every trick you taught me, I threw them everything but the kitchen sink!"

"Congratulations, Penny Collins-Lynch; you've finally found your footing."

"I'll admit that it's been a slippery slope, but I think you're right. I also know that I couldn't have done it without you."

"Nonsense, I just gave you a few tricks to expedite your rise to fame and glory. They would have seen your abilities; I just helped them open their eyes a little sooner."

I was just about to ask him if he was ready for lunch, when Patti called from across the cubicle wall.

"Penny, come on! We're all going to The Red Pepper for lunch. Hurry up; we're taking my car!"

Mike saw the indecision on my face before I even knew it was there. I'd promised him lunch; I promised to be the first to make good on that promise. I also wanted so much to be a part of "the girls," I knew what I should do, but then again...

"Go on, Mike said, "You've been waiting for this. You've been working so hard for this, it's time you joined them for lunch."

"Mike, are you sure? I promised you, are you sure you don't mind?"

He smiled his crooked smile and rose from my chair. "Go on, sweetie, go have a good time."

The next thing I knew, I was in his arms. I didn't care that this was inappropriate behavior in the work place; I raised my head up to kiss him, but Mike took my cheeks in his hands and kissed me tenderly on my forehead. He then put his arms around me and hugged me the way my dad used to do. I relaxed in his arms and returned his hug. I knew then that this was right; this was the way it was meant to be.

"Tomorrow, I said, "I'm taking you out tomorrow, if I have to drag you!" Mike smiled his crooked smile and looked at me kindly.

"For once in your life, Penny Collins Lynch, just enjoy the moment. We have so many worries in life, we forget to stop and just enjoy the moments."

"I will, Mike, I'll enjoy my lunch with the girls, but I'll remember this moment with you for the rest of my life."

* * * * *

Lunch with the girls turned out to be a chaotic affair. For one thing, they all talk at once. As lunch progressed, their voices became shrill, their chatter so rapid that no one seemed to be listening. I basked in the glow of girlish camaraderie until there was a moment of silence and Sheri turned to me.

"Wow, Penny, you were sure a hit in this morning's meeting! You should like, run for office or something. What a speech!"

I tried to be modest, but still, I felt my face flush. "Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. I couldn't have done it without Mike's help."

"Who's Mike?" The girls had stopped talking and were looking at me.

"You know, I replied, "Mike, the janitor that works at night."

Debi frowned and said, "I don't know of any janitor named Mike."

"You must know him. He knows you, he knows all of you."

"The only janitors I know of are those women in the blue smocks that work for some outside contractor, and none of them speak English."

Patti put her arm around my shoulders affectionately and said, "Girlfriend, you've got to stop working all those late hours. I think you're starting to make imaginary friends."

I'm not one to reveal my emotions. I pride myself on maintaining my composure. So when the conversation quickly changed to something else, I joined in without revealing the panic I was feeling. I thought lunch would never end.

* * * * *

Once we were back in the office, I went searching the hallways for Mike. I had no idea where I was going, because I had never looked for him; he would always show up at my cubicle. Always, that is, except for that one time at the elevator. I practically ran to it.

When the doors closed, I pressed the button for the top floor and waited for the doors to open. It seemed like an eternity, but when the doors finally opened, I had to look at the panel of buttons again, just to make sure I had the right floor.

There was no linen wallpaper, no crown moldings or plush carpet. There wasn't even a hallway. The top floor was a storage area full of dirty, dusty old metal desks and file cabinets made obsolete by the computer age and modern, modular office furniture.

I must be mad, I said out loud, I must have lost my mind, or this is all some crazy dream. My high heels crunched over bits of broken glass and papers. I bent down to pick up a paper, looking for a date, when I saw the stubs of several small, black cigars. I stood up and sniffed the air. Underneath the smell of stale dusty air and rotting paper, the unmistakable scent of Opium perfume mixed with the odor of someone burning matches was undeniable.

I had to make some sense of this. I had to get a grasp on reality or I really would go insane. I knew of only one person who could help me, and I prayed that she was at her desk, and not merely a figment of my dysfunctional imagination.

* * * * *

I was more than happy to wait for Mary King to shut down her cerebral engines and turn her attention to me. I was grateful just to see her, in all her velvet and jewelry. I was glad to know that she was a real, live person. Eventually, she turned her chair to face me.

"Penny, dear; how nice it is to see you! How are you, honey?"

"I think I'm losing my mind, Mary. First, the girls tell me that they've never seen or heard of Mike. Then, I go up to the top floor and I discover that Mr. Blackwell and Isabella don't exist."

Mary shifted in her chair. "Oh, they exist, honey; don't you ever forget that. They are evil, and fighting evil is like trying to nail down mercury. But it's nice to know they're not upstairs, anymore. You can thank Michael for that."

"I'd like nothing better, Mary. Can you tell me where I can find him?"

"I'm afraid not, Penny, he comes and goes. He does his business, and then he leaves. I can't tell you where he goes. He helped you move, that's all I know."

"Yes, he did. There aren't many guys that would help someone move without expecting something in return." Mary looked at me kindly.

"Honey, he didn't just help you move into your new home, he helped you move on with your life. I don't know why or how, I just know that he helped me when there was no one else. He also prevented the evil ones from carrying out their malicious plans, just like he did with Damien Blackwell and his demon bitch."

I felt a swelling sensation in my chest, in my heart. I felt warm, like a great light was bathing me with its rays.

"Mary, who is Mike? What is Mike? Is he a ghost? Is he an angel?"

"Honey, I can't answer that. But, you are welcome to come to church with me. You might find the answer there, but that is between you and God."

I took a deep breath and readied myself for the answer I was afraid to hear.

"Mary, Ms. King, will I ever see him again?"

Mary smiled, her eyes sparkled like black pearls.

"Penny dear, I wish I could say that you will, because you might. But then again, you might not. I can tell you this: if he does come to you, it will be because he needs your help. It means that he's helping somebody move. You've got to trust his judgment and do what he says. That's how it works, and that's all I know.

I'm not prone to tears. It takes a lot to make this little girl cry. But that's just how I felt, like a little girl, and I fell into Mary King's arms and sobbed like a baby; and Mary King held me, but not before placing several tissues between my running nose and her black velvet jacket.

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • The Mover Ch. 08

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 427 milliseconds