• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Gay Male
  • /
  • There's Always a Remedy

There's Always a Remedy

12

Rick tried everything to forget about the past two weeks, which would most likely become the most devastating part of his life. But everything he did led him to unwanted nostalgia. The thirty-six-year-old man sat in the living room, the cold unadulterated silence influencing his desolation with its slow progression. Saturday night became an antagonistic reminder of what he used to have. He would have spent time with his two sons by taking them to tonight's hockey game. But seeing as how his ex-wife took them away from him, he no longer depended on a personal connection to keep him at ease with the rest of his life.

Rick waited for the doorbell to ring. And when it did, he stood up from the sofa and opened the front door. He led Sergei, his Russian co-worker and one of his closest friends, inside the house.

Rick asked, "Where's Nikolai?"

Nikolai was Sergei's nineteen-year-old son. Sergei replied, "He'll be here in a couple of minutes. He's using a separate car. I've got some other friends to pick up a little later, so Nikolai might have to ride in your passenger side. Sorry I didn't tell you this sooner."

Rick didn't feel so bad about it. "It's no problem."

As a matter of fact, a little ounce of satisfaction arose from this abrupt announcement. Rick had already met Nikolai twice before. At that time, he felt so intrigued by how even the sight of Sergei's own son made him forget about his separation from his ex-wife.

"So who are these friends of yours?"

Sergei took off his jacket and set it on the sofa. "Oh, they're my brother's buddies. Don't worry. I'll be dropping them off in Costa Mesa and join you at the arena in time for the game to start."

"That's good."

"Let me use your bathroom really quick."

"It's a free country."

The doorbell rang. Rick knew who it was. He opened the front door and a little smile formed on his face.

"Hello, Nikolai."

Sergei's son would have had a steady career as a young model. He had medium-length brown hair that reached the top of his shoulders. He wore a black shirt, a dark green jacket, and a pair of black pants. He was only two inches shorter than both Rick and Sergei. His handsome exterior almost made Rick slightly speechless.

The older man nodded. "Welcome to my abode. Are you ready for tonight's game?"

Nikolai smiled and, with a mild accent, said, "As long as the Red Wings are not feeling it today, then I'll be ready for tonight's win."

"I sure like your optimism."

Rick led him inside. He watched as Nikolai took off his jacket and examined the living room. Rick could only stay silent about his fascination with such a handsome young man. He never expected this sort of feeling to arise when staring at his face, which conveyed a magnetic veneer that protected his youthful looks from harm.

Rick stepped a little closer while trying not to give mixed signals. Nikolai was the type of man who preferred to date other men. Rick had to be careful not to offer a misunderstanding between friends. Even if he didn't want to, something in his mind gave unlikely commands, such as imaging Nikolai as something more than a faithful companion. Rick fought off his mental urges by replacing it with doubt.

"Do you like what you see?"

Nikolai replied, "It's clean and spacious. I wish I had a home like this, but I'd have to ask for a raise."

Rick chuckled. "I'm one of the lucky ones. At least I got to keep the house."

"I keep hearing about your divorce from my father. I hope you still have a chance to see your two kids again."

Rick sighed. "You'll have to step back into reality for that one. My ex-wife is about to move to the other side of the country. It turns out her new boyfriend found a new job in Miami."

Nikolai appeared a little stunned. "And you can't fight back?"

Rick slowly nodded. "It's sad, I know. But there's nothing left for me to do. I don't think I'll ever see my two boys again."

Nikolai shook his head. "I hate hearing sad stories like this."

Rick picked up three tickets from the coffee table. "I'm sure tonight's game will cheer us up."

He handed one of them to Nikolai and another to Sergei, who had just appeared from the hallway.

Sergei remarked, "You look a little down right now, Nikolai."

His son replied, "It's nothing. You don't have to worry about it."

Forty minutes later, the three of them were on their way to Honda Center, home of the Anaheim Ducks. Rick brought his black cap and foam finger along with him. Once he and his two visitors stepped out of the house, the street lights initiated their nightly illumination while the sky lost its brighter shades to the temporary relocation of the sun. Sergei used his own sedan for his brief trip to Costa Mesa. Nikolai sat in the passenger side of Rick's car. The two of them departed from the city of La Mirada and joined the hundreds of commuters on the freeway.

Rick turned on the radio to listen to one of his favorite rock songs at mid volume. "Alive," written and performed by Pearl Jam, seemed to be the perfect fit for a casual drive. With not a single indication of a traffic jam forming on the freeway, Rick felt fortunate that nothing could possibly ruin the evening.

Nikolai still had a few choice words to say before they would reach Honda Center. "It's really disgusting to me."

Rick kept his eyes on the freeway. "You're not talking about the home team, are you?"

"Someone in your situation shouldn't be treated like complete crap. From what my father told me, you didn't do anything wrong."

"It doesn't matter. It was the court's decision. I still can't fight back at this point."

"If only petitions existed in divorce court. You would get to keep your dignity intact."

"That would be a good idea, even if only in theory."

"I know who you are, Rick. You're not a terrible person at all. You have a great career, you have a great home, and you have everything that every man in this world yearns for. It's such a shame that the love of your life betrayed you in the worst way imaginable. I would never do such a thing to a man who has it all."

Rick raised an eyebrow. "Do you really mean that or are you just trying to make me feel a little safer around women?"

"I wouldn't be so dishonest to a person like you. In fact, I would never mistreat a man like you."

"Don't forget who you're talking to. I'm perfectly able to find another woman after all of this."

"You don't have to stay the same."

Rick gave Nikolai a sidelong glance. "Your suggestion is making me feel a little uneasy."

"Don't worry. It's just a little joke."

Rick forced himself to give a little smile. "I'm glad it is."

In actuality, words didn't match the actual outcome. His mind may have played tricks, but for a brief moment, he truly wished for his curiosity to break through the protective shell that concealed his newborn zeal.

The hockey fans had reached the arena several minutes later. Rick parked his car, but he didn't exit the vehicle just yet.

"I'll be watching."

Nikolai chuckled. "Of course, you will. Everyone's going to be watching the game."

"I don't mean that."

"I mean that I'll be watching YOU."

"Why me?"

"I hate to break this to you, but I'm feeling a little suspicious."

"Why should you be? All I did was crack a joke."

"That's not the point. I'm still feeling a little tense, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with my ex-wife. I will never know how I will react if you ever make you move."

Nikolai sounded serious when he said, "I can assure you that I'll have my eyes on the ice rink and not on you."

That's all that Rick wanted to hear. "So then, we have an understanding."

"Yeah, sure."

The two of them got out of the sedan and were now on their way to their seats. Even if he kept silent about their agreement, Rick still doubted his current position. A part of him still wanted Nikolai to make his move. Rick shook it off and concentrated on keeping his high spirits unbroken for the home team's potential victory.

* * *

The game had become an exhilarating experience for everyone in the arena. Ducks fans and Red Wings fans almost collided with each other as both teams fought for their next few goals. Every time the Detroit Red Wings scored a goal, the spectators would participate in a mixed awakening of cheers and boos. The same had to be said for when the Anaheim Ducks scored their own goals. Rick, Nikolai, and Sergei were seated just several rows above the ice rink. As usual, they had a fun time with everyone else in the audience. The confrontation between two hockey teams livened things up in the arena, and everyone welcomed it.

Once everyone calmed down after the Ducks' fifth goal of the game, Rick and the others took a little breather. The game did wonders to his growing optimism. It managed to help him forget about his personal troubles and let him have some fun. He smiled when the Red Wings were just three goals behind. The Ducks might be able to seek their eleventh consecutive win and easily obtain it.

For a brief moment, he looked down at the crowd below. His smile disappeared when he felt convinced that he had just spotted his ex-wife seated to the left of him, four rows down. Upon closer inspection, the truth struck him hard like cold concrete. Maribel sat beside her new boyfriend, and the two of them applauded to help the Ducks gain even more buoyancy than before.

Nikolai immediately noticed Rick's frown. "What's wrong?"

Rick sighed. "She's here. All this time, she's been sitting in the second row."

"Yeah, I can see her. I don't think she should be here."

"I guess I'll have to sort this out right now."

Rick put aside his foam finger and stood up from his seat.

Nikolai asked, "What are you doing?"

"I need to have a little chat with her."

Nikolai grabbed him by the arm. "Please don't do it. It'll do more harm than good."

"How will I know when I haven't talked to her yet?"

Nikolai slowly let go of his arm. Sergei wanted to say something, but Rick stopped him just in time.

"Just stay here, guys. I'll be right back."

Rick prepared himself for unpredictability. He walked down the stairs and stood right behind his ex-wife. Maribel applauded with her new boyfriend when one of the Ducks pushed a Red Wing against the glass with excessive force. He tapped her on the shoulder. Maribel turned around and a sudden shift of expression, from a look of joy to a look of concern, signified the rebirth of her hostility.

"What are you doing here?"

Rick replied, "I'm watching the game just like everyone else."

Her boyfriend noticed him. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Am I having déjà vu?"

Maribel looked away. "I don't want to see you here."

Rick grabbed her by the shoulder. "You have no choice. Just tell me if I can see my sons again."

Maribel kept her eyes on the ice rink. "I'm not speaking to you."

"That's funny. Usually, I should be the one making that decision. I wasn't the one who screwed this up. You did."

"Just leave me alone."

Her boyfriend narrowed his eyes at Rick. "You heard what she said."

But Rick didn't leave just yet. He crouched down and lowered the volume of his voice. "Tell me if I can see my sons again. I'll be staying here and waiting for an answer even when the game ends."

His fierce determination was followed by a brief applause from the spectators when the Ducks goalie deflected the puck away from the net. Rick stayed in his position, waiting for an answer from Maribel.

The woman gave him a stern look and said, "You can give them a call tomorrow night."

"You'll be leaving in two days. I can at least pay them a visit one last time."

"I'd like to see you try. The judge will send you to prison if you even try to defy me."

Rick didn't feel so threatened by her choice of words. "At least I got an answer from you."

Maribel shook her head. "Just give then a call tomorrow night. That's all you can do."

"Our two boys won't like what you're doing to them."

"They'll get used to it. Everyone does."

Rick tapped his fingers on her armrest. "I never thought I'd say this, but you are a heartless bitch."

Her boyfriend leaned over and said, "Get the fuck away from us."

Maribel added, "I'll call the security on you."

Rick finally stood up. "You don't have to do that."

He walked away and returned to his seat. He sat down in silence. Even if he had his eyes on the ice, his anticipation for tonight's potential triumph had discovered its expiration date. Rick's concentration centered on his two sons, and the most important phone call he could ever make tomorrow night.

Nikolai placed his hand on Rick's shoulder and asked, "Are you going to be okay?"

Rick had to tell the truth. "You should stay and watch the game without me. I'm gonna go home."

Nikolai looked more concerned. "Please stay. Don't give her the satisfaction. Show her that your pride is unbreakable."

"What exactly can I do? I can't do anything. The courts won't let me."

Sergei said to his son, "Just leave it alone. Let him do what he wants."

Rick stood up. "I'll just see the score online when it's over. I'll see you guys later."

Sergei waved his hand, but Nikolai sat still with his look of concern still intact. Rick looked away and walked up the flight of stairs. He didn't turn around to see the Ducks score their sixth goal. He just listened to the sound of over a thousand spectators standing up and cheering as the low-pitched buzz horn echoed all across the arena.

"Rick, wait!"

The man turned around to see Sergei's son running up the steps, approaching closer.

Rick shouted, "Stay there, Nikolai! There's nothing you can do for me."

Rick made it to the top of the stairs, where an empty concrete corridor was located. But before he could even walk across it, Nikolai grabbed him by the arm.

"You don't have to feel this way. Life can be so much better than this."

Rick just had a thought. "And who's going to make it better? You?"

"I can do anything."

Rick shook his head. "No, you can't."

The divorced man turned away. The only thing he didn't expect to see at this very moment was Nikolai wrapping his arms around Rick's waist and giving him a long kiss. And when it happened, Rick pushed himself against the wall, his back colliding with cold concrete, and let Nikolai express himself in the most obvious way possible. The two of them shared their intimate connection in silence. Even as wild applause echoed across the corridor, it did little to interrupt their solitude.

Nikolai's long kiss seemed so sweet and enchanting. It made Rick seep his fingers into the Russian man's brown hair. He didn't care if someone would pass them by and watch them demonstrate their unconcealed ardor. He needed this to happen. It helped him forget his troubles more than tonight's game ever did.

When Nikolai finally pulled himself away from him, Rick chuckled. "How long did it take for you to make this decision?"

Nikolai laid his head against Rick's shoulder and whispered, "I don't think that matters now."

Rick concurred. He held the young man tight in his arms and said, "I really needed this to happen."

They stayed in their secluded spot for a little while longer. Once the frenetic ovation picked up once again, Rick and Nikolai returned to their seats.

Sergei asked, "What just happened?"

Nikolai replied, "You don't want to know."

Rick tried hard not to stare at his ex-wife and her boyfriend. The back of their heads seemed tempting for even a momentary look. He yelled out, "Let's go, Ducks!"

For the remainder of the game, Rick and Nikolai sat closer together. They didn't feel afraid to show the next stage of their relationship taking place inside this building. At the start of the third period, Nikolai held his hand. Rick no longer fought against radical psychology overwhelming his current frame of mind. Nikolai's affection had been a welcome addition to this already splendid evening. They held hands throughout the third period. And when he looked down to see Maribel and her boyfriend still keeping their focus on the ice rink, Rick ignored his frustration, knowing that dwelling in absolute misery would be meaningless.

* * *

He dialed the correct number on his smartphone and waited for Maribel to answer. He sat on the couch in the living room. He had already invited Nikolai back to his place when the hockey game ended on a high note.

Once he heard his ex-wife's voice on the other end, he waited for her hostility to kick in yet again.

"What do you want, Rick?"

"I'm just making sure that I get to hear my kids' voices tomorrow night."

"I already told you that you will."

"You tend to trick me with a lot of things."

"Stop it. Your threats aren't going to hurt me this time."

"I never even threatened you in the first place."

"Just stop it!"

"Why don't you just admit it? You never loved me in the first place."

He could hear Maribel laugh. "I think you're some kind of comedian."

"It isn't funny when it's true."

"Be careful what you say to me. Because I'll send you back to the courts and they'll give me all of your money for expressing verbal aggression."

"I don't think that's going to work."

"I'll make it work if you continue to treat me like this."

"Fine, be that way. I hope you have a good time in Miami."

"I know I will."

She hung up without saying a proper farewell. Rick placed his smartphone on the coffee table. He stood up and searched for Nikolai. He found him upstairs in the master bedroom, lying on the bed with his clothes still on. He had just turned on the stereo system. It began to play Reinhold Gliere's Harp Concerto in E-flat Major. This had been one of Rick's favorite compositions in all of classical music. The harp and orchestra blended well with beautiful romantic melodies.

Nikolai sat up from the bed. "How did it go?"

Rick sat down beside him. "I don't want to talk about it."

"The choice is yours."

The two of them sat alongside each other as they listened to one of Gliere's top masterpieces. Nikolai reached up and laid his fingers on Rick's shoulder. Rick kept his eyes on the stereo as the music played on. The soft sensual touch from another man's fingers never felt so alien, and yet so right. Nikolai slowly leaned over and kissed him on the cheek before moving downwards to his chin. Rick let him try to put an honest effort into making him feel satisfied with the future.

"If you were a woman, I'd take you right now."

Nikolai whispered, "Can you at least imagine that I am?"

Right when the nineteen-year-old Russian man stuck out his tongue and caressed Rick's chin with it, the older man tightened his hand into a fist. This was inevitable from the start.

Rick made his move with rapid speed. The thirty-six-year-old man grabbed him by the shoulders and made him stand up with him. He began to take off Nikolai's green jacket. He thrust his hands and arms deep into the young man's apparel, digging between skin and cotton with ravenous fingers. He could hear Nikolai taking deeper breaths than usual. The older man flung the green jacket into a corner after pulling it off of Nikolai's body.

Rick kissed him on the neck with a softer touch. "You can't stop me."

Nikolai still didn't push him away. He let him take control of his own independence for the night. Rick slid his hand down the young man's pants. He could feel the surface of Nikolai's cock growing solid. He took off Nikolai's black t-shirt and hurled it to where the green jacket lay. They kissed each other once again as Rick stroked the young man's bare back. It felt so good to hold someone in his arms again. Furthermore, it felt so good to spend time with someone who already shared a trust.

Nikolai whispered, "I didn't think this would happen."

"You know what? I didn't think so, either."

12
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Gay Male
  • /
  • There's Always a Remedy

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 20 milliseconds