• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Taming an Immortal Ch. 11

Taming an Immortal Ch. 11

123

As requested, here is the main character list for Chapter 10.

Etienne - Pureblood Lord of the West

Rose -human ward of the West; mate of Etienne

Miria -Pureblood warrior of the West

Adam -Human Lord of the South

Anzer - half brother; Noble-birth from Cove Viridian

Drake - Seagull Changeling from Cove Viridian; adopted son of Anzer

Zahara - Etienne's cousin; current candidate for Lady of the West

Elisa - Etienne's mother

Eulalie - Changeling Wolf Princess of the East

Merkel - Red Wolf Changeling from a southern human town of An

***

Rose spent the night crying. Not even Miria's pleas or Lord Adam's commands could summon her from her bed.

She had chosen to go to sleep hungry and now she was paying for it.

Getting up, Rose felt the bile in her stomach rising to lodge in her throat as she fumbled around to find the correct door to the bathroom. The nausea was overpowering, rendering her almost breathless that she had to force herself to pause; pressing a hand against the wall and the other over her chest.

She wanted to call for him; knew he would come in an instant and yet...

No. He had made his decision and now she would have to make hers. At daylight, she would have to decide whether to stay here as a ward of the Southern castle, or make herself a home in Cove Viridian as she originally intended to.

But that was for later. Her stomach contents were threatening to upheave that instant. Dragging herself to the nearest doorknob, she turned it, hoping that it was the right one.

No.

She barely caught the arms of the Pureblood before her when her body began heaving on its own; the force of her nausea emptying itself on the floor before her.

"My Lady!" Strong feminine hands held her up; a cloth coming up to her lips to wipe away the mess. Rose felt her body wrapped by a blanket of some sorts before she was carefully lifted off the ground.

"I want some peaches..." she muttered, curling into Miria's arms; her tummy rumbling off in disagreement. She didn't know why she was feeling so ill. Was it something she ate?

The tears fell on their own accord - more from frustration at her own weakness than anything. It was no wonder that he chosen to leave her here!

***

"How is she?" asked Lord Adam later that morning when Miria stepped into his chambers. "Still vomiting?"

"I don't think her body can cope," said Miria. As was expected. Not many halflings survived infancy not because they were weak but because their mothers died before they were due or at childbirth.

And for the child of a Pureblood as royal and strong as Lord Arceneaux...

Miria knew it was more merciful to either kill her or the baby now. Already she could sense how strong the boy was in his mother's womb; growing from an embryo into a beating clump of cells within hours. In six months, Rose would have a healthy Halfling ready to make its entrance into the world.

But it was not her place to tell the Lady what to do. She didn't even have the right to inform her that she was pregnant for the laws of the Purebloods decreed that only the father of the child could do so - an act of imprinting that forms a bond with the child akin to what the mother shared with her baby. A Vampire child that was not imprinted by both its parents will die.

And in the absence of the father... well, then Miria was going to have to find the next best thing.

"My Lord, I may need to travel for a bit to find someone who knows what to do to soothe Lady Rose. My trainings as a warrior do not equip me for such... tenderness."

"Will you be long?"

"Two days."

Lord Adam looked up from his own bowl of medicine and cringed. "Be swift."

"Yes my Lord."

***

A quiet chill greeted Etienne the moment he landed in the courtyard of his own castle; servants remaining in the shadows, peeking out at him in fear. News it seemed, had travelled faster than he did; the wind bringing forth the news that the human pet he kept at his side was no longer a welcomed companion.

The only person who did not fear his dour mood was the silver-haired Pureblood leaning casually by the internal gates of the castle; her arms folded over her chest in disapproval.

"It seems you leave one battle only to jump into another," she chided, trailing behind him as he stormed past.

"It concerns you not."

"Don't you dare speak to me like that! I have doused fires for you for an entire fortnight!" Yanking him by the sleeves, Zahara made sure he stopped and looked at her.

Indeed, she had gathered reinforcements for him without hesitation, even when he knew what a struggle it must have been with his mother around.

"That was your duty as Lady of the West, if I recall," he replied; voice flat and toneless as he flicked her grip away and continued walking.

"That was before I heard you will have a son."

The Pureblood stilled. "I do not have one."

Annoyed, Zahara stormed forward, coming to a stop only when she was right in front of him; hand stretched out and pressed onto his chest. "Turn back and get her. There has to be another way."

Etienne bared his teeth and snarled. "Leave me."

"No."

"Do you wish to die?" Though in all honesty, Etienne couldn't bear to lift his sword anymore.

"No, seriously Etienne!" Zahara began pacing back and forth in front of him, blocking his advances.

She was truly testing his patience.

"We must see grandfather immediately!" she suddenly announced. "If anyone can change these stupid laws, it would be him."

Etienne didn't know if there would be any good coming out of it for Johannes was an Ancient. The life and drama of his kin were no longer his concerns. His intervention during the siege of Seurri was already an anomaly.

An Ancient never came out from seclusion more than once in centuries.

Grabbing a hold of Zahara, he flipped and tossed her behind him like an annoying scrunch of paper. Etienne needed to clear his mind and she was not helping.

Even as he walked towards his only place of solace, he could sense her getting back onto her feet and trailing behind. To her credit, Zahara remained silent as they entered the garden housing his father's cherry tree.

Perhaps it was the comfort of knowing that his father had once been in the same position as him or perhaps he just wanted to prove to the old man they were nothing alike - but whatever it was, Etienne paused underneath the sakura blossoms and looked up into the night.

"There are laws upon these lands for a reason," he whispered, keeping his eyes on the starlight. Even his father knew that or he would not have been born. Who was he to bend the rules?

"Are you ready, for what it means to be the Lady of the West?"

Before she could answer, he raised a finger. "I will, produce an heir with you, as expected of me. But beyond that -you must be ready for a rewardless life. Rose will always be first; her needs and her place above yours in all respect."

Zahara took a step back; one hand on her chest. He thought just as much. She, like the many others had not thought about this before making the journey to his castle.

"But you've banished her from these lands have you not?"

Indeed he had but...

"She is still my mate and her every cry compels me to her side."

"And your son?"

"I do not have one."

Etienne caught a flash of sadness in her eyes before she turned away.

"I... Well, if that is what my Lord wishes of me then I will," she whispered before disappearing into the darkness.

Etienne hated the hurt in her voice but it was a choice he needed to make. Looking up into the shadows of the cherry blossoms once more, Etienne made a wish for the first time in centuries.

"I wish you were here Father... I don't know what to do," he confessed into the night. "If we lived in another time, another place, then maybe... I could have loved Rose as she wanted me to."

***

Zahara kept her eyes on him from the comfort of the shadows. He knew she was watching him and yet he had remained rooted; eyes fixated on the stars above as his forlorn form took the shape of a man mourning his loss.

She knew it was a privilege for Etienne would never do anything without a purpose. It was probably her first entitlement as his cousin, and second as the future Lady of the West.

If she had to be honest with herself, Zahara would have gladly welcomed the title if not for the fact that Etienne Arceneaux had picked up a human companion over the years. And it didn't help that Rose was gentle and kind -something the household staff constantly reminded her. Be it Keane's cold reprimand every time she took something that belonged to Rose, even if it was by accident or Nahia's tearful lament that Rose had made her a better cook and that her best dishes were now human-approved.

The inhabitants of the Western castle had already chosen their Lady; it was only their Lord who was not aware of it.

And for god sake Etienne! For a full grown Vampire, he was very much an infant when it came to women. Did he think mating with a human would bear him nothing? It might take Vampires decades to even get pregnant but humans were different. Everything about their shorter lifespan made it possible for them to accomplish so many things within a short time -and that included the throng of children she often saw waddling after their parents in the human villages.

And what was he thinking leaving his pregnant mate all alone to raise her baby? And what of the son if Rose were to die?

Balling her hands into fists, Zahara slipped further into the shadows and headed straight for the forests west of the castle. What she was about to do next would probably earn her a lifetime of banishment from her own family but Zahara wasn't intending on letting her cousin make a mistake he would regret for life. She cared about Rose and if Etienne was planning on being stupid, then she at least would be his temporary conscience.

She only hoped that the distance would help mask her absence long enough before Etienne realised she was missing. As her wings fluttered to a close, Zahara waited patiently in the clearing as instructed. She wasn't sure why it was necessary to maintain such secrecy but the Pureblood had kept to her word.

"You came."

Turning on her heels, Zahara came face to face with the Pureblood warrior, aware of the exhaustion marring her otherwise flawless features.

"Miria." From the slightly bent angle of her wing arch, Zahara knew she must have been flying at breakneck speed for the past twenty hours or so. Yet, to suggest rest to a Pureblood would be purely insulting.

"We must hurry."

Zahara nodded. From her letters, Miria had grown increasingly worried that something of this nature would come to fore the moment she became aware of Rose's pregnancy. And with her banishment from the Western lands, this was the only safe grounds she could land on without being persecuted.

However, it was where they were heading to next that intrigued Zahara. Miria had insisted that she could not explain the situation in writing but had to show it to Zahara in person. As it had to do with Rose, Zahara had agreed.

Following closely behind, Zahara tried not cringe at the salty air infiltrating her senses as they neared a tiny cabin by the wharf.

"Why are we here?" she hissed as Miria knocked on the bamboo door. The other Pureblood just ignored her, rapping louder on the door.

"Anzer... it is me, Miria," she whispered.

It only took another two knocks before the door swung opened and a strong pair of hands pulled them both inside; wild silver eyes glowering down at them. "What in the world are you doing wandering about in the middle of the night?"

Even in the semi darkness of the house, there was no mistaking the characteristic markings of a Pureblood -white hair, silver eyes and gashes across the cheeks. Zahara found herself backing towards the door.

Just who was this...

"Anzer, you have to come with me. Rose is pregnant."

Zahara caught the flash of gold in his eyes before it resumed its silvery glow.

"You know tonight of all night is not the best for me Miria. And still... you brought an intruder."

At his comment, Zahara realised her lack of manners and began flushing furiously. "Please, I mean no harm. I'm Zahara Arceneaux -"

"I know who you are. My question was why."

This time, it was Miria who spoke, her weary eyes looking from one to the other.

"Anzer, Rose is unwell and I do not know any healers who could..." Miria shook her head; thumbs rubbing her temple. "She needs to know what's wrong with her and I can't... but you can."

"Just what in the world are you talking about Miria?" asked Zahara. This Pureblood was a healer? He looked like he could kill them both with a single thought at the moment.

With a long sigh, the warrior Pureblood whispered. "Well, you two are technically cousins. Say hi."

Cousins? Surely...

"But your mother -she was human," gasped Zahara.

"Yes."

"Then... how?"

Anzer simply looked at her, his voice lowering into an unintelligible growl. "My brother is stupid..." he replied, in lieu of an answer.

Zahara kept silent as she watched the silhouette move about in the dark, throwing what sounded like wood into the fireplace. A strike of matches and warmth and light flooded the room.

And there stood Anzer - much taller, long silvery hair down to his knees and identical double gashes on his cheeks.

"With every new moon, I take on this appearance." He turned towards her, eyes returning silver. "No one here has seen me in this state -except Miria and now you. If not for the sickly scent of Rose on you, I would never have opened that door."

Zahara was so stunned she didn't even know what to say. Oh to record this in her books would have made her dreams! Who would have thought that such an anomaly could happen?

"So will you come?" asked Miria. "The child must be imprinted."

Zahara looked up at Miria and gasped. "That... that's why he kept insisting he doesn't have a son! Why that bastard! He was planning on letting the baby die!"

Miria however was shaking her head. "Lord Etienne would have killed that baby himself if he wanted to. But... he knew I would come here."

"And I suppose he hoped I'll do it? Just do as he wishes?" The male Vampire didn't look very pleased at the idea; his eyes glowing gold at both of them.

He had to! There was no one else alive who had enough of Etienne's bloodline to allow the baby to live.

"Unless... you can convince him otherwise?" suggested Zahara meekly. "If anything, he's under the tree of his father's burial grounds - that's always a sign he's... susceptible to persuasion."

***

Etienne had his face to the stars when the overwhelming scent of an unrecognisable Pureblood intruded his senses. This was not a good time. Etienne had too much on his mind for this unwelcomed presence. Sitting up, he scanned the periphery from his cherry tree; one hand on his offensive sword.

But then -

Masamune? The sword was throbbing; the blade giving off a soft glow.

Leaping off the branch, he stared into the darkness, simply waiting for the intruder to appear. Whoever this was, his scent was strange... the undercurrents familiar and yet...

When the Pureblood materialised, Etienne almost tripped on his own footing. Father?

Long white hair tied in a single ponytail and the coveted sword - Muramasas -clasped by his side. No, that was not possible.

"Who are you?" he demanded. "Why do you have an Arceneaux heirloom?"

The Pureblood kept advancing, simply drawing his sword, pointing it towards him - the beautiful pearlescent glow shimmering in the dark.

"You come to my castle and wish to fight me?" Etienne was livid. How dare he! "Do you have a death wish?"

Ignoring Masamune's constant cry at his sash, Etienne drew the seven-branched sword, aiming a quick downward slash onto his silent opponent. The electric charge of his father's sword sizzled against them as the two Purebloods collided; each pressing down on his sword with equal strength.

It was only when the static got too much that a flash of heat and light exploded between them, knocking both on opposite sides to the ground.

This was his chance! Flipping back to his feet, Etienne charged forward; eyes golden as he sent all his power down the shaft of his weapon, bringing the seven-branched sword into a downward thrust to severe the intruder's head.

Etienne missed by a split second; the Muramasas slammed upwards to block his attack. Not wanting another static explosion, Etienne swung back, aiming low this time, sending a blast of fire towards the Pureblood.

The stranger was a tad slower than him; the blast cutting deep into his shins. Dropping to his knees, he forced himself to heal mid-battle, sword resting low on the grass - a rookie mistake.

Wanting to end this senseless battle, Etienne brought his sword high up, ready to bear all his might down on this intruder.

"I have no time for social visits. Now die."

He slammed his sword down hard but a strong, electric force sent him flying backwards; the heated charge coursing through his body in sharp stabs of pain.

When he could open his eyes, Etienne saw that Muramasas had created a bubble around the Pureblood - eyes of silver watching him curiously and almost sadly.

"Who are you..." he managed to croak. This man defiled the sword of a thousand cuts with his weakness. Etienne was the rightful owner of Muramasas!

When the Pureblood remained silent, Etienne slowly pushed himself back up, staggering as he used his sword as support.

Masamune? The stupid sword wishes to fight. If the seven-branched could not even penetrate Murmasas's protective globe, what made it think it was worthy? Still, he sheathed the seven-branched sword and drew his healing sword without hesitation.

"You recognise this?" he asked, watching as the stranger looked up at his glowing blade.

"And I know you recognise this," the Pureblood finally whispered, raising his sword off the ground; the protective barrier collapsing around him. "Then you should know who I am."

Etienne blinked, unsure what to make of the Pureblood. Father had fallen in love with a human - their child was a Noble. And yet...

He could scent the undertones of Montgomery Arceneaux; almost see his eyes and facial structure now mirrored on this young Pureblood. But... how?

"Why have you come here?" he demanded instead. "To lay a claim on the throne? It's too late for that."

Something flashed in the stranger's eyes as he slowly got up; wound fully healed.

"Rose."

A single-worded answer holding more importance than anything else at the moment -

Etienne found himself launching full bodied on top of his brother, claws reaching downwards to choke the life out of him.

"What of her?" he roared.

As if on cue, both swords blasted a blinding flare of light, pushing both of them apart.

Finding himself on his bottom once more, Etienne bared his fangs but did not move closer.

"You made your mate cry Etienne." The accusation was on the mark.

"She means nothing to me," he replied, knowing it was the most important lie he ever told.

"She bears your mark... Carries your child and yet you say this?" Eyes of gold stared at him from across the grass patch.

Fool! Did he think it was easy for him to let her go? And who was he to judge him anyway?

"How can you be my brother? Father mated a human," he replied instead.

His brother propped himself up; eyes still staring at him as he took a step closer. "I am a full Vampire as you are... and so will your child."

123
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • NonHuman
  • /
  • Taming an Immortal Ch. 11

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 19 milliseconds