• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • A Match for the el Maiens Ch. 21

A Match for the el Maiens Ch. 21

1234

Thank you so much for the feedback and votes! :heart:

*****

Arianna walked into the kitchen and there was Clair standing at the cooking range making himself breakfast. He was sloppily dressed in an old pair of breeches slung on over his nightshirt, a woollen cardigan and a pair of slippers. He lifted his head and smiled when he saw her in the doorway: that unexpectedly shy smile so sweet that she could not but smile in reply. She walked slowly over to him, elegant in a grey woollen dress with a high collar. The fitted waist showed off the beauties of her small waist and big round hips and breast but Lisette said the high collar made it apparent she was not looking for improper attention.

An assistant cook came up to start making her hot chocolate. Clair put out a hand to stop him and said, in a voice even huskier than usual, rough with a late night and much drinking: "Will you have chocolate or would you like some coffee?"

"Tashka says makest good coffee," she said shyly.

"Oh ay," he answered with a yawn. "I can make good coffee even on a campfire, they always pushed off the coffee-making onto me." He crinkled his slanted grey eyes at her, waving his hand at the side table. Most of the servants had finished breaking fast, she went and sat down at the corner of the table. He came and put their bowls of coffee down: his little child's bowl and her glorious Hyaline bowl, then came back again with two plates of fried mushrooms on toast.

"Ar't about very early," she said, turning to look into his face as he sat down at the end of the table around the corner to her. He had heavy shadows under his eyes and had not yet shaved, he looked dissipated and gorgeously sexy. She looked shyly back down at her plate, waiting in excited anticipation of his husky voice with the sexy rough rasp in it.

"There will be a lot to do the day," he answered, "what with the supply chains to establish for Tenth Athagine as well as everyone in the castle, and Ninth Vail to think of. There will be preparations needing to be made for the wounded. I like to have a peaceful half hour breaking my fast before I start my day." He gave her that soft sweet smile again and she understood with a warm thrill at her heart that he had come to find time with her could offer him a moment of peace in a busy life. He turned his head back, cut a piece of toast off, loaded it with mushrooms dripping with garlic and lemon juice and butter and put it into his mouth.

She had stayed up late for her but it had not been as much fun as she had hoped. Instead of coming to flirt with her, as soon as they had eaten the grand wedding dinner her husband had swept Tarra el V'lair, her brother Hanya and her cousin Pava into a game of cards, on which he remained intently focussed the whole evening. She had tried to go and stand at his elbow as she had seen women do once at a scandalous party her mother took her to at court, before Prianne discovered her there and hustled her back to the family's rooms. Clair looked at her narrowly, making it plain she was not welcome. She had sat with Lady van P'shan, Volka, Sevie and Anata. The others did not stay up late since they would start long journeys the next day, when they went to bed she did too.

"So," she said, a sudden smile widening her big red mouth. "Dids't take el V'lair for everything he owns?"

Clair turned his slanted eyes to look out of the window by his side with a grin then swung his head back round to look laughingly at her. He had an incongruously elaborate gold earring, heavier than his usual style, hanging from his ear. "Pretty much," he admitted. "I got his vineyard, his dogs and horses, all of the jewellery he has with him and about thirty thousand suns in notes of hand."

Arianna gasped at the thought of the high stakes they must have been playing then laughed out loud. "Whatever will you do with it all?" she asked. "What will he do? How can he live now?"

Clair leaned on his elbow, his slanted eyes creased in his grin. "Oh, his father has drunk himself to the brink of the grave," he answered carelessly. "He will not last long so there will be loan-bankers happy to lend Tarra money - at an high rate of course. Maybe I will let him have the vineyard back one day. If he ever has a daughter I will give it to her," he sniggered at this idea; a daughter of the el V'lairs would be chained, it would cause an entertaining political upheaval for her to own anything. "I will give Tashka the greyhounds and racehorses; he will like to run those. He might even ride Stargazer himself next year in the King's and Nobles'. Tarra will curse the Heavens down if someone-else wins on Stargazer! I will use the money to start a foundation for poets in Athagine, in Lallia el Farin's name." He sniggered again, in his nose.

"No," Arianna said sternly. "People will say dids't have an affair with her and that will cause her trouble in her new marriage."

"Yes, you are right," Clair said. "Well, we will spend it on something else to annoy Tarra." He took a contented draught of coffee.

Arianna cautiously tasted her coffee, she was obliged to admit that it was a smooth creamy brew with just the right amount of sugar in it. She noticed that Clair's was stronger and darker. How could he know how she would like her coffee? She smiled sleepily into her plate.

"M'dear," Clair said, in that gorgeous husky rough-edged voice with the rasp in it that made a shiver go through her body, "I prithou pardon me, I have skinned your brother close to the bone too. I will not of course cash in his notes of hand. Will you make sure he takes them back?"

"After everything he has earned speculating with the merchants, Hanya can afford a few thousand suns," Arianna said carelessly, lifting a forkful of mushrooms and toast into her wide red mouth. "Is that about what he lost? How about Pava?"

"Pava knows I will not come after him to honour his notes of hand," Clair anwered. "All of us but Hanya knew what the game was. Tarra looked like a pale Angel when I first proposed cards to him! but he thought he might win something because he knows Hanya and Pava are not that good. But when Pava plays with me we can guess the pattern of each other's game because we were brother officers and Hanya of course is his cousin so they know the disposition of each other's minds. When I was paired with Tarra, I threw the cards away like a schoolgirl! His face was like a thunder-cloud! Then when he suggested we play single-handed, Pava and I between us continued to manage it so he was completely skinned!" He burst out laughing, well satisfied. "I will pray Hanya pardon me. I could not ask el Darien to play because he is such a young hot-head, he would have messed up the game."

"Could I not have stood with you to enjoy it too?" Arianna asked, lifting her round blue eyes to look into his eyes.

"What, as if you were my pink-fingered doxy!" Clair exclaimed in outraged tones. "Why do you not put on a gown that your bosom nearly falls out of and paint your face like a butterfly while you are about it. No no, besides I know you. You would make faces at my cards and Tarra would know my hand." Arianna giggled at the idea of being Clair's pink-fingered doxy, putting her long fingers up to wipe a dribble of butter and lemon from the corner of her mouth. Clair leaned over and pinched her cheek. "You can dress up and play at being pink-fingered some evening when we are alone together," he sniggered, "but not in front of my friends, I prithou!"

Arianna's cheeks went pink with embarrassment but he noted with a glint in his eye that she was smiling that secretive sexy smile as she turned her face shyly aside from him.

"Shall't have a lot to do, then, the day," she said, turning back to him thoughtfully with the blush fading to leave her cheeks pink and white cherry-blossom pretty.

"Mm," he said, not troubling his head about it but watching her cheeks and her wide red mouth move as she spoke.

"Would it help you if Hanya and I were to take on the care of the wounded?" she asked.

He looked into her face in surprise. "Why ... yes, of course," he said slowly, "but I think you had better not." Her face slid into disappointment, he explained: "Anna, you have never been on the field of battle yet you are a pacifist. It will be ... very terrible." His eyes turned down in sorrow, he pushed the memories of screaming and blood and death back out of his mind. He had to go back to it, he would have done anything to avoid it but it had been brought on his head again.

She put her hand on his arm. "I am not a baby girl," she said earnestly. "Hanya and I want so much to do something, we feel it that it is our negotiations with the merchants which have brought this war on you all. No no," she put up her hand to stop his protests. "I know it is that snake van Sietter but it would make us feel the better for it if we had something to do to help you."

He thought about it, smiled and said: "I would be grateful, m'dear, but I warn you. It is the worst of the responsibilities, will you not take on the supply lines instead?"

"No," she answered gravely. "Knowest it well, I am no use to organise supplies and in truth I do not understand in the least when says't musts't set up supplies to Tenth Athagine. It is the same for me as it would be for you to do a partial differential equation! I have seen people with terrible injuries when I have gone down to visit the hospital and talk to the surgeons in the town about what they need for the people's health. I know the hospital and the surgeons so I can liaise with them. Hanya and I understand what it is we are asking to do, I prithou allow us to help, my Lord ... my d-dear." Her eyes swung aside, the blush rose up in her cheeks again.

He put his hand out, cupped it on her cheek and said softly. "Yes, it will greatly help me if you can do that. I thank you," and turned his head to his breakfast again.

~#~*~#~

Vadya and Tashka lay in each other's arms, curled close between the soft silken sheets and quilts where they had crawled in to make love again when they woke in the night. Vadya's arm was about Tashka's waist, hers about his chest, her head was on his shoulder. They breathed softly in their sleep, the sunshine peeping through the cracks in the window-shutters cast a dim golden light about them.

~#~*~#~

Clair, striding through the entrance hall from the kitchens to the castle offices through the bustle of servants running here and there with piles of goods they were stacking against the walls of the hall for lack of storage space, saw through the open door Hanya el Jien standing at the top of the castle steps. He paused, flicked a look at the castle offices where Laran and Tarra would be waiting for him, smiled and went out into the chill autumn air to his brother by marriage.

Hanya had evidently been standing there, tall like his sister and cousin but leaner in build than them, for the last half hour, ever since the other guests had ridden away through the lines of Sietter troops now massed up outside the castle.

Hanya was looking at the closed gates, his hands clasped loosely behind his back, it was difficult to read any expression in his scarred golden face, the dogs had torn his flesh about so badly, but his blue eyes were sad.

Clair put an arm about his shoulders. "I must thank you," he said, "for supporting me in taking el V'lair to the bottom of the well. Arianna has explained? of course I will return you your notes of hand."

Hanya turned to look at Clair. The left side of his mouth, the side less twisted by scars, twitched in his smile. "I did not quite realise at first," he said. "Ar't so angry that el V'lair was Tashka's first lover? el Gaiel was not troubled for it and Tashka has already dealt with it himself, is it not?"

"No, not for that," Clair answered, "I realised that el V'lair had taken Tashka drunk. You would not be happy for it if a man took your brother ... your sister drunk."

Perhaps it was lucky that Hanya's expression was not easy to read. As he said it Clair remembered that Hanya's sister was his wife and that he had given the el Jiens plenty of reason to be unhappy with how he had treated her. He blushed and looked regretfully into the courtyard, giving Hanya's shoulder a squeeze. "I'll make it up to Anna," he promised. "This bloody war, when it is done, I'll give her the keys to Heaven. I swear it on my juniors' lives, I have never abused her to get her favours."

"You will go to the Generals' strategic staff in Port H'las?" Hanya enquired, politely changing the subject. "You are not happy to do so?" His eyes were envious, he would have loved to have gone back into the army but he could no longer face the dogs in battle, he did not have the full use of his right arm and he limped badly after what they had done to his leg although his riding had not been affected.

Clair sighed, staring away into the bustle of the courtyard where there were too many horses and men clattering about on the cobbles because Tenth Athagine were having to be quartered here and there around the stables and kennels and Guard house. "No, el Jien," he said. "I would I could stay here with your sister, finding out what it is that is the key to Heaven for her so I could give it her. But I must go, since there are those in the Sietter army who will follow me if I do. What use I will be to anyone when I get there is a question."

"No no," Hanya answered. "Your reputation is for excellent lines of supply. They will be badly in need of someone to ensure the lines of supply are well managed since the resources at their disposal will be small."

"Oh I suppose," Clair said grumpily.

"And I will be here," Hanya said with a little laugh, "where you long to be, while you are there where I would like to be."

"Not for long," Clair answered. "Give Anna some company here for a two-three months then why do you not go to P'shan ... to visit the el T'fels for the winter sports. Lady Hartha took kindly to you, you know, and the el T'fels will welcome you for their grandson and cousin Vadya's sake." Hanya looked shyly at his brother by marriage, the blush rising in his face. Clair gave his shoulders a squeeze. "You should be more forward," he said gently. "You are a wealthy man, an excellent match for her. Go to her, if her fingers are where your heart longs to nest."

"She is not interested," Hanya muttered, blushing.

"So what," Clair said. "Go and talk to her father. The family is so poor they will push her to a side-slip affair never mind if you wish to offer her your ring." Hanya looked uncertainly at him. "Hanya," Clair said. "You will give her the sun and moon and stars - bloody Angel of Baya, you can afford them! Her heart is not fixed, there is no one she would give the go-by to for you. If you catch her now you can teach her to love you, you have a gentle heart and a keen mind and you are probably the richest aristocrat in Trossia! She will be a great fool if she gives you the go-by. Or you can leave her to be hunted down by some scum like el V'lair van Athagine. You know now that he will not stop at much if a woman has caught his eye. It is only because he knows she is Tashka's friend and Tashka will kill him for it that he has not moved on her already. Tashka and I will both be at war soon. It would be a great favour to me if you will keep her honour under your eye. I feel bad at heart, that I introduced her to el V'lair's notice by foolishly trusting el V'lair to come as a guest to our party even though I knew there would be honourable women here."

Hanya looked thoughtfully away over the tops of the closed castle gates to where the road to the Maier Pass wound through the Sietter Hills. Then he turned in Clair's arm and said: "If wants't to make Anna happy, it is her mathematics shoulds't help her with. She does this work with the merchants because she believes it is right to help the poor but it will sadly interfere with her theorem on forces and matter. B'dar has even writ to Prianne to ask him press her to continue with that work, since she wrote and said she would have to give it the go-by and being from V'ta he cannot write to you. Of course Prianne does not care a copper coin's curse, he will not say any thing to Anna. When I try to, she only says a mathematical theorem cannot feed the children of the poor. If cans't find a way that she can still do the maths while she manages the castle and the negotiations with the merchants, she will give you any thing you ask for." He made his jagged lop-sided grin at his elegant sophisticated brother by marriage who had such a reputation for winning hearts and bodies but needed advice on wooing his own wife.

~#~*~#~

Tashka lifted her head from Vadya's shoulder and regarded him sleepily. His gentle brown eyes looked back at her, he smiled and put a hand out to caress her cropped hair.

"Mmm," she turned her head into his caress and then snuggled her face back into his shoulder.

"Tashka," he said softly.

"My h-husband," she said it hesitantly, lifting her head again. Her voice had a note of wonder in it as if she could not quite believe it were so. He laughed, his eyes dancing.

"My Lady wife," he said with a teasing grin.

Tashka pulled her left hand free of the soft sheets and quilts and looked at it, with the ruby betrothal ring and heavy twisted gold wedding ring on it. Vadya put his own left hand out and their finger-tips met, their fingers touched to the other's, the palms of their hands pressed together.

"My wife," Vadya said again, lifting himself onto his elbow and putting his left arm around her, catching the back of her head with his left hand and drawing her smiling wondering face towards him for his kiss.

As their lips parted she said: "I am hungry."

"Me too," he looked vaguely over his shoulder as if expecting morning coffee to magically appear out of the thin air. That was how he usually woke in the mornings, with a bowl of coffee hovering by him in Batren's hands.

Tashka groaned and stretched, he saw her neck muscles tense, her shoulder muscles stretch out, her torso lift and her small breasts quiver on her muscular chest. She relaxed back down then clambered grumbling out of bed.

"Do not get up and go yet," he pleaded, sitting up.

She turned round and laughed at him. It made his blood beat fast in his veins again to see her standing casual and naked before him. She stood with one hand on her hip, one foot set in front of the other, her shoulders flung back, exactly as she was used to stand in the middle of an army camp, shouting at her troopers as they ran around eager to get her praise. Yet she stood naked and bold before him, smiling into his eyes. He could still feel amazed that he had her body's love to enjoy.

"I am not leaving you," she teased. "You'll not get away from me so easy, el Gaiel."

She turned and caught up a shirt from the floor: his shirt, with a great rent across the back of it. She wrapped it scantily around herself and went to unlock the door, open it a little way and call out: "Hey! I prithou. Bring us some coffee and some food to break our fast." Then she came running back across the room, flinging the shirt off as she came, her long lean legs reaching out between the clothes discarded all over the floor. She leapt into the bed and his arms and wriggled back into the warm bedclothes with him. She was pulling him into a delicious tangle with her, a strange wrestling match where they were not trying to win only to enjoy the feel of their own and each other's bodies. Her leg came shoving down between his legs, pressing against his cock which was already softly filling out. Her hand came down to caress his stomach and hip and cock. He chucked his head back gasping with laughter, his own fingers skating over her hip towards her sex. He saw the door opening and pulled hurriedly away, sitting up in the big bed while she tumbled down into the bedclothes. She was grinning that salacious grin so familiar to him. How often had he seen that grin by the light of the camp-fire, when he came round to check on how the night-sentry duty was going and her head would lift up to him at the tail-end of some disgusting story.

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • A Match for the el Maiens Ch. 21

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds