• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Dark Lady Ch. 10

The Dark Lady Ch. 10

1234

I was still smiling from Kim's instructions to go to my trainer when I arrived at Clemmie's. All the lights were out, but the front door was unlocked. I slipped inside and prepared for an ambush. I needed to get naked, I decided, and crawl carefully to the bedroom.

A few minutes of exploration revealed that the two naked bodies in the bed were sound asleep. Some ambush. I left them alone and used the other bed.

The room was full of sun and bodies with coffee cups were moving around. I mumbled, "Didn't get much loving, did we?"

"Sit up, we are bringing breakfast."

They looked at my limp equipment. "What were you planning to do with that?"

Breakfast was delayed while a round of body rubbing and licking took place. We all hummed.

The breakfast tray went on my lap, and they wedged in tightly against my sides. Juice and toast went down quickly. With my fingers in her long blond hair, I said to Clemmie, "I think the cheering section should stay home today. This is a coaches' confab. Part of it is Larry having us demonstrate some of the new anti-concussion rules about tackling."

To Susan, I said, "You are meeting Lagerstrom's plane?"

"Yes, and bringing him directly to the organ, as he has requested."

"Sometime this afternoon, I would like to say hello."

"Just stick your head in and if nothing too exciting is going on, we will make the introduction."

"We are doing dinner with him?"

"He asked me to put him up at a place with good room service. Does not like to party until after he plays. So he has a suite at the Hilton."

"Clemmie, we don't want to use the telephone for any of what you have been doing, so maybe you should go out to the mine and bring DR up to date. Is he coming to the Friday night affair?"

"I already talked Susan into going with me as long as we are back before her airport pickup time. Nothing like a sister to exert social pressure."

I slid down flat on my back. "How come you women are always ahead of me now?"

They bounced on me a few times, dressed and left for work. I did the sit on floor routine for a while and showed up in the locker room at nine. Everyone was there, with an air of suppressed excitement. The assistant coach told us Larry would not arrive until the last moment, and went over the sequence of plays with us.

At ten to ten, the coach showed up and looked excited himself. "All right, take it nice and easy this morning. Concentrate on getting the plays demonstrating the new rules right the first time. If you screw up, I'm going to make you repeat."

He paused, "Another thing, we are going to let Buster and Theo loose for a few plays at the end. You saw them in practice yesterday, looking like they had played together for years. I like that. I like that a lot. We have some tough games on our schedule. I've told Theo that the defensive backs are going after him today. No soft balls. If these guys are impressed, I want it to be because every single one of you played your best."

On the way out, Buster said, "Damn good thing we worked against that advice of yours."

The first set of plays was quarterback and half back runs. Buster took some hits, but they were nowhere near his helmet. The other plays went well. Larry only called a halt once, and only because a rule had left a lot to the ref's discretion, and the coaches all wanted a chance to talk with the volunteer referees who were there.

We got to the passing plays. A couple actually involved new rules limiting contact with the receiver. Buster gave me one down the sidelines and our not too bright defender demonstrated he was clueless about the rule. I went down and he was called for interference. Larry took him out.

Buster called a pattern in the flat that required a tackle to lead me through. Worked like a charm. Touchdown.

Buster and the team laughed in the huddle and said, "Let's go for it."

Five passes, five touchdowns. End of session. We walked off the field trying to wipe the grins off our faces. Several of the coaches were talking intently to Larry and glancing at me. Buster and I were waved over and introduced. The guy from A and M said, "Nice work out there, Parsons. You and Buster are joined at the hip."

Buster said, "I hope not," and everyone laughed. After a shower, Buster and I walked out together. I said, "I think we need to cool it. If the media starts talking about a quarterback-receiving back phenom, the whole conference will be gunning for us."

I whispered another idea to him and he smiled. "Right on. They won't know what happened. You want me to talk to Coach?" I said, "If you do it, sounds better. Carlos being my friend, you know."

"Yeah."

When I got to the office, Clemmie and others were in the office atrium. She said to Laura, "Play it for him."

It was a segment from the noon news. A camera had been in the stands. Not game quality, but it was obvious Buster's passes were falling into my hands. Six in a row. Everyone clapped. I blushed. "It's all Clemmie's fault. She beat me into shape."

There were sandwiches and we talked launch issues while eating. Someone was kneeling behind the sofa working my neck and shoulder muscles. A soft voice said, "I'm running out of things to beat you about." I grabbed a hand and kissed it. "What's the news from Greg? What about the old lady?"

"The old lady is named Anita Thompson. She is sweet and happy to sell for a percentage royalty. We didn't tell her about the bad guys, but she accepted an invitation to the Friday dinner and you are going to sit next to her."

"On the other, it's a limited partnership. The managing partner says it is half dead and the investors want a way out. A hundred thousand will do it, he said."

"Tell DR and ask him if that is a good enough deal."

"I already have. He says yes."

"Call Tom and tell him to negotiate the deal."

"I already have. He called back and said it will close in a week. He has a binding agreement with a forfeiture clause effective today to protect us against the publicity deluge."

"Holy shit, why am I needed around here?" I pulled her over the back of the sofa into my arms and kissed her hard in front of everyone. A big cheer went up. Her eyes were wet, but she tried to club me.

"I thought you said we couldn't do this in the office."

I kissed her again, harder.

Karen was in the doorway, gesturing. I headed over. "Follow me and don't make any noise."

Oh my god. He had every register going. The whole building was shaking. The crescendo built and built and abruptly stopped. Karl turned to Susan and smiled. "This might work."

Karen dragged me away. "He made us promise absolutely no interruptions. He has Susan running everywhere in the back tweaking things."

I got her around the corner and pushed the fine body against the wall. "I hope you are happy. I sure am. A lot of people in Tucson are going to be."

She shook on my shoulder. "Theo, it is just an organ, but my god, what an impact it makes!"

Clara was in our arms, laughing and pulling me away to review the gallery placements. "These are fakes for the most important pieces. We couldn't afford many, but they are cheap plated gold. Designed to distract attention from the vault and other hangings."

"Saturday morning, the security people will be here in force, and a roving patrol car going back and forth out front. We have been practicing retrieving the pieces and getting them in the vault quickly. With some security people around this morning, we did it in ten minutes flat."

"God, you are good. One of these days, you are going to have your own gallery."

She bit my ear and whispered, "Theo, nothing is dragging me out of here anytime soon. You fixer of women!"

I escaped to Erica's office. She locked the door and pressed me against it. "How did you know an old woman needed you?"

"Hey, too much old talk. You are as hot as the others. Know where to beat me too."

She laughed and said, "Sit down, we still have visa problems. The district director called me and said the DC office wants another look at Manuel. His temporary will cover him another two weeks and we can get a renewal on that once."

"Any idea what the problem is?"

"Local director says there is some sort of hold on him in Mexico. Wouldn't say what."

"Are Selma and the others back from their buying trip?"

"Tonight. Clara and her people need a chance to price and arrange and catalog them. It's going to be tight, but we can go right up to Saturday morning if we need to."

"Selma needs to talk to Eduardo. If it is sensitive, he will know how to handle."

"I already talked to her. She is staying tonight and sending the others ahead so she can have private time with Eduardo."

Arfed again. What a delicious feeling. I pulled her hair and fondled a fine boob. "I owe you. Manuel is doing a fantastic job at the mine. It would really hurt to lose him. I guess you heard about the theft."

"Yes, you owe me, and yes, I know you have to keep him and his crew on the job. That's what I'm here for, isn't it." Her eyes gave me a hard look but the lips were soft.

"I think you are liking not being an analyst."

She straddled me, forcing my head back so she controlled me. Her tongue licked here and there.

"Don't be a smartass. You are kind and caring and we love you. So there."

I looked at her. "That was supposed to be advice?"

"You can take it anyway you like." She threatened me with her toe. I ran out.

In Kim's office, I said, "Not enough crises. Must be something wrong."

Her phone rang as she was about to answer and she picked up. It wasn't good news. She put it on speaker and I moved over. Clemmie was saying, "Poor DR is out of his mind. He is a desert rat and two SUV's full of agents have him unglued. Something about a DEA order to investigate the property for drugs."

I let out a giant "Shit," and dashed for my office to get Tom on the line. He was gone for the day but Greg was still around. I was shouting into the phone and then calmed down some. "Hey partner, more trouble from the big guys, I think. Local immigration is at the mine going through worker papers and talking about a DEA order to look for drugs. I have a suspicion they are going to find some. Planted by person or persons unknown, but in the meantime, we have a big monkeywrench in our work."

Greg said, "Tom knows the federal prosecutor and can get to him, I think. He is on his way to Phoenix for an association dinner. I think he is going to play the industrial espionage card, but don't tell that to anyone."

I was putting down the phone when Karen came in, almost running. "The organ broke."

"What happened?"

"Something about the air supply. Karl and Susan are trying to reach the people in Missouri."

"Can it be redone locally?"

"They aren't at that point yet. But we only have forty hours or so to the concert."

"Let's you and I start on Plan B and hope we don't have to execute it. Call your organ friends here and ask about people who do repairs. That let's Karl and Susan concentrate on what they are doing."

Kim walked in. "I'm on my way to the mine. Erica is going with me. I think they may back down a bit with a show of force from the owner and the HR person. Poor DR is freaked out. You will hold the fort?" She smiled at me.

I smiled to myself, sports metaphors going through my head. Fourth quarter and behind two touchdowns. I looked downfield and the best defender in the conference had me in his headlights.

"Ok, Buster, keep it away from Reynolds, he is bad news."

"Don't worry Parsons, we are doing that cross field thing between the other end and the safety."

Clemmie punched me and said, "Stop daydreaming, we got trouble."

I hugged her and said, "Yes. Trouble. I was thinking about Buster's passes this morning. We are going to win this game, Clemmie."

"Yeah, we are. You think I coached you to lose?" I punched at her and she dropped me with a kick I didn't see coming. Damn, that hurt.

I was lying on the floor clutching my leg when the twins walked in. "Clemmie! Did you do that to him? We've got trouble!"

"That's what I told him, but he tried to punch me and I dropped him."

They sat on the sofa and said, "You two are impossible. The whole place is coming unglued. What can we do to help?"

"Believe or not, neither of these things is fatal to our critical path. Round up the department heads and bring them here for a short briefing."

Clemmie helped me up and said, "I'm sorry, that was a dumb move."

"I already told you I would beat you if you stopped being direct with me. That kick of yours is pretty damn direct. I need more lessons."

People filtered in, looking very serious. When almost everyone was there, I began.

"What I am going to say is very confidential. Don't mention it to anyone, on the staff or otherwise, without checking with me or Kim. We think the mine is the target of a big operation trying to scare us and buy us out. Our lawyers call it industrial espionage. Someone has gotten to the feds to accuse us of having a drug operation at the mine. The lawyers are very good and will work this out, but of course, we have a timing setback and a damn nuisance.

"Another thing. A few minutes ago, our new used organ broke while being tested. Don't know yet what parts may be required and how hard to get them. I'd hate to postpone the concert on Friday, but that is not the end of the world, either.

"The important thing is to keep rumors under control and morale high. Go back and pass the word that there are some complications, but not threatening to the launch. Everyone concentrate on the tasks that must happen before Saturday. The twins will stay on top of this minute to minute and send out text messages as needed. Please be very sensitive about letting anything leak to the press. We don't need false rumors in tomorrow's or Friday's paper. Clemmie will take all media calls right now to keep pressure off Clara and her people.

I smiled at them. "Ok, go out there gang, we are on top of our game!"

She was at my side, whispering, "They will follow you anywhere, Theo. That was great."

The twins were behind her, "Yes, great. What do you want to do about feeding people? Are we having an all night command center here?"

"One thing we should do right now is double up on security. There probably needs to be an outside patrol. I need to talk to Greg about our story for the local police."

Clemmie peeled off to see if she could reach Greg. The twins and I looked at each other, thinking about the command center problem.

"Keeler is better for food and sleeping in shifts, but it is half an hour away from here. I'm nervous about the team being up there and having something happen at the gallery. For tonight, let's prepare to support eating and sleeping here."

Clemmie reported, "Greg knows the deputy chief and is calling him. Going to ask for a lid on this for twenty-four hours to get more facts straight. I've got the main office number transferred to my phone. That's going to keep me busy for a while, I guess."

I said, "Let's put a message on it saying the office is closed but media inquiries about the launch will be answered as quickly as possible and please leave a message."

"Yes. Make it look as though everything is normal."

I smiled at her and held out my arms. "Theo," she sniffled, "I still feel bad about that kick." Her body pressed on me and I had a subversive thought, which sent me giggling and pulling her to the sofa.

"What now?"

"I was just thinking that if I was ten years old, and had a bleedy hurt on my knee, my mommy would hug me like that and make it all good again."

"God damn it." She buried her head in my shoulder and cried. She looked up and the twins were back.

"Get over here and listen to this."

"Theo Parsons, if you accuse me once more of being good mommy material, I am going to throw my birth control down the toilet and make a baby for us!"

The four of us wiggled around and I kissed the twins as hard as I could. "Any normal guy would jump at the chance to have a baby with Clemmie. Should I take her up on it? She hasn't even started college yet."

Clemmie lay back on my lap with the twins draped around my shoulders. Her eyes had that provocative look she was so good at.

"Theo, you see that look? Watch your step."

"I do. I do, but she takes me down every time."

Clemmie reached up and used my hair to pull me to her lips. The voice was very low and fierce. "You are off the hook this time, but a bridge has been crossed. There are witnesses here and the message is that you and I are having a baby, whether we are married or not. We will discuss the timing later."

The twins had wide eyes. "Theo! She really means that. You are in trouble."

I licked at them. "You call having a baby with one of the smartest, most elegant, most loving women on the planet trouble? I don't think so. I don't think so at all."

The three of them collapsed in a pile of tears and told me to go away.

I walked back to the organ room. Karl and Susan were huddled down front with a telephone. He looked up and I said, "Hi, I'm Theo."

He smiled thinly and said, "Problems."

I said, "Please let me know if you need more support." Gesturing to Susan, I said, "She is good."

He mouthed, "I know." I left them to their work.

I tried Kim but got a click to her answer. Must be talking to someone.

It was long after five, but staff people were still working. I decided to stay out of their hair. They didn't need conversation with the boss just now.

I remembered reading a war novel about how generals spend most of their time waiting around for reports from subordinates about what is happening.

When I got back to the office atrium, there was a table set up with takeout, and beer and wine. I grabbed some and found a chair to one side. People came and took food away, others sat down in the room. They were giving me a lot of space.

A body appeared on the chair next to me. I said, "Where is the CEO's temporary pad tonight?"

"There's a sofa, or a blowup mattress somebody found."

I want you there."

"I thought I was in trouble. I went way over the line this time,"

"As soon as this is over, we are going to talk, you and I, about who was over what line. In the meantime, I want you close by. May need training advice."

She choked on that and I pounded on her back.

"Damn, it's hard to stay mad at you."

"I was thinking of that marriage advice that says don't ever go to bed mad."

Sarah was at my back. "But you are always fighting with us when we go to bed. Wouldn't know what to do without it."

I pulled her into my lap, and ran my hand up under the short skirt to her briefs. "Ah, he is back to molesting us. Things must be improving. Please rub me there nicely."

Susan walked into the room beaming. "Fixed!" We high fived. My eyes questioned her.

"Let me take a plate to Karl and I'll come back. He wants to work for another hour."

Sarah got up and whispered, "She needs your hand on her bottom more than I do." Clemmie reached over and cuffed me. "Good for nothing. You are probably not even going to have to sleep here."

"See if you can get a report from Kim."

Susan came back and sat in my lap. She was eating but gave me a kiss on the cheek. "That was a scare. Thought we had burned out the blower motor, but turned out to be a bad contact on the controller. Surfaced when Karl used all the capacity at once."

"You are a happy camper again?"

"I am. Need any company tonight? I heard the football was out of sight."

Clemmie was looking daggers at me.

"I am in deep shit with this lovely woman and must mend fences."

Clemmie said, "We are having a beating contest at ten if Kim says she has the mine under control. You are welcome to attend."

At that moment, Kim and Erica walked in. "Did I hear my name?"

1234
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Novels and Novellas
  • /
  • The Dark Lady Ch. 10

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 11 milliseconds