• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Poker Interrupted

Poker Interrupted

1234567

Author's Note: This story is set after "Bad Day for Shore Leave", and makes reference to some characters from that. However, it is stand-alone, and you don't need to have read that to follow events in this one.

*****

"Sh'ree did say she was coming tonight, didn't she?"

Edrilli shrugged, "I haven't spoken to her this afternoon. But, the last I checked, she didn't say she wasn't."

The Tellarite woman tutted in reply. "We can leave it a bit longer, I guess," said Lugmilla, "I'll call her if she's not here soon, though."

It was unlike Sh'ree not to leave any kind of message, thought Edrilli, so most likely she had just been delayed somewhere along the route. The Bolian shuffled the deck absently, having nothing better to do as they waited. The four of them met up every now and then for a game, taking turns between entertainments native to each of their worlds - one of the advantages of such a multi-racial starship as the Endeavour.

Tonight was the turn of an Earth game, in honour of the human member of the group. This time, Sumati had picked poker, a game she had apparently come across at the Academy, since it wasn't native to her part of the planet. Ironically, it was Sh'ree who was the best of the four women at playing the game, although sometimes the Andorian's betting became too aggressive, giving one of the others a chance to wipe her out.

At last the door swished open. "About time," said Lugmilla, grumpily, "I was about to..."

The she trailed off, as she registered what the other two women had already seen: it wasn't Sh'ree.

"I apologise if I was not sufficiently prompt in my arrival," said the newcomer, calmly.

The Tellarite crossed her arms, and frowned, adopting the pugnacious stance that everyone who was familiar with her race grew to expect at the slightest provocation. Edrilli shrank back a little in her seat; this wasn't likely to end well.

"What are you doing here, Varok?" said Lugmilla, frowning.

The Vulcan looked back at her impassively, entirely unfazed by her apparent hostility. "I understand that you had an assignation with Lieutenant Sh'ree," he said, "which she has had to cancel due to an unforeseen development in an ongoing xeno-acarological research project."

Lugmilla looked across at Edrilli in puzzlement. The Bolian was the only other scientist among the group.

"Ticks," offered Edrilli, "she's studying alien ticks."

"Why?"

It was Varok who answered, "Lieutenant Sh'ree is a zoologist."

"Thank you for that insight, Ensign Varok," muttered the Tellarite - Edrilli couldn't help noticing how she had stressed the newcomer's junior rank, "I think you can interpret my question as having been a little more specific."

The sarcasm was evidently lost on the young Vulcan man, "I am afraid that I am unable to offer further insight into her motivations or the precise nature of her circumstances. They were, as I said, unforeseen in nature."

Lugmilla glanced across at Edrilli again, a questioning look on her rounded face. The Bolian woman shrugged. "Beats me. I haven't been over to the biology labs recently."

Apparently as satisfied with that as she was ever likely to be, Lugmilla turned back to Varok. "And you are telling us this why? I mean," she added quickly, before he could come up with some overly literal response, "why send you? She's got a communicator."

"Lieutenant Sh'ree did not wish to disrupt your intended leisure activities for the evening. She asked me to take her place."

Edrilli was about to object. This was supposed to be a gathering of friends. She hardly knew Varok, and he was hardly likely to be entertaining company. In fact, from the little she did know, he was fairly stuck up even for a Vulcan. Not that any of his species were exactly a bundle of laughs, but they didn't all have to be quite so smug about their supposed intellectual and cultural superiority.

The other two probably didn't even know Varok as well as she did. Indeed, Edrilli had been a little impressed when Lugmilla had actually remembered his name. But it seemed they were just as uneasy about this arrangement as they were. And, if it came to it, it was at least possible to play poker with only three players.

It was, unsurprisingly, Lugmilla who again chose to act as the group's spokesperson. "It's a women's get-together," she pointed out, heavy eyebrows frowning.

"She did make reference to that arrangement," conceded the Vulcan. "However, my research suggests that poker is not game in which the gender of the participants is relevant."

"Your research?" asked Edrilli, puzzled.

"Indeed. My team leader intimated that I might benefit from a greater appreciation of and interaction with, the cultures of more emotional species. To this end I formulated a plan whereby I would study the various forms of 'entertainment'," he said the word with what might almost be called disdain, "employed by such species. I believe that I understand the mathematical formulae underlying the game of poker, and that I would therefore make a superior player."

The perfect poker face couldn't hurt, either, thought Edrilli, who wasn't liking the sound of this.

"Therefore, when I learned that Lieutenant Sh'ree was unable to attend this event, I nominated myself as a replacement. She appeared somewhat engrossed in her work at the time, but she made a reply that I interpreted in the affirmative. I am therefore ready to engage in socialisation."

Edrilli was unclear whether Varok was simply oblivious, or was just pretending not to notice, but it was hard to imagine that anyone else could have failed to interpret Lugmilla's expression. Her eyes were narrowed, and her lips pursed, one booted foot tapping the ground in irritation. And there wasn't an Ensign in Starfleet who wouldn't end up regretting being on the Tellarite's wrong side.

Edrilli waited for the inevitable explosion, but suddenly Lugmilla's face brightened, and she leaned back in her chair, looking relaxed. This, in the Bolian's opinion, was likely even worse. She liked Lugmilla, who was, for all the traits of her race, a good friend, and quite a fun person to be around. More than once, she had bent the rules to help out a colleague. But if she was looking relaxed when somebody had just annoyed her... she had thought of a plan. And, whatever it was, Varok was unlikely to appreciate it.

"I'll just have a quick word with the others," the Tellarite said, smiling in a way that ought to unnerve anyone who could actually read emotions, "make sure we're okay with it. Could you wait outside for a second... Ensign?"

As soon as he was out of the door, Sumati turned on her. "You can't seriously be considering this? He's hardly going to be the most amusing company, not to mention the fact that he'll probably beat us."

And then Lugmilla explained.

"That's... that's a bit cruel, isn't it?" asked Sumati when she had finished.

"I like it," said Edrilli. Varok had evidently thought he would get the better of them. By the sounds of things, his last performance review had identified the need to get on better with the other crew - and all he was using it for was another attempt to demonstrate his superiority over them.

"Oh, I didn't say I didn't like it..." giggled the human woman, apparently having the same thought, "I just said it was a bit cruel."

"Be good to see his reaction," agreed the Bolian, grinning despite herself, "or if he can hide it."

"Besides," said Lugmilla, "it's not exactly unfair. He's still got as much chance of winning as any of us. It just evens up the odds."

"I'm in, then," agreed Sumati, "let's go for it."

A short while later, the four were sitting round the table, and the Tellarite was dealing out the cards. Varok sat across from her, apparently unaware that the eyes of the three women were on him, waiting to see how he responded to the coming revelation. They didn't have to wait long.

"Do we not require poker chips?" asked the Vulcan, after examining his cards, "it was my understanding that this is a vital part of the game, even in the present post-monetary economy."

"You must have missed the variant of poker we are playing tonight in your research," Lugmilla informed him.

"I believe you said 'five card draw'. It is my recollection from my research that, while this is an unusually basic form of the game, it is still one that requires the use of betting tokens."

"Normally, yes," conceded the Tellarite woman, "but tonight we're playing strip poker."

"You are correct that my research did not uncover this particular variant of the game," said Varok, clearly still oblivious, "could you explain the exact nature of the game play?"

Edrilli managed to suppress a snigger, although Sumati was a little less successful, and had to pretend to be smothering a cough. Lugmilla's face was perfectly straight though, and Varok looked no more than mildly curious. She wondered how long he'd be able to keep up that detachment when the game got underway. Yes, he was a Vulcan, but, as everyone knew, Vulcans had emotions; they just didn't like showing them. And, from her experience of him, Varok was one of the ones who struggled with that.

"Instead of rounds of betting, and chips, and all of that," explained the Tellarite, "whoever has the lowest hand after the draw removes an item of clothing. Which remains off for the duration of the game."

There were, Edrilli was sure, other variations of 'strip poker' beyond this one, not that she knew of the game by anything more than rumour. But this was the one that Lugmilla had suggested, and the Vulcan was, surely, about to put his finger on the reason why.

To his credit, however, Varok's only reaction was a raised eyebrow. "With no potential variation in the bet offered, I can see that this would lead to a speedier resolution of the game, although it seems a most unusual procedure."

"That's okay," said Sumati, "we don't mind."

"And the fact that we are all in uniform would lead to parity," agreed Varok. "However, I see a flaw in the logic." Here it comes, thought Edrilli. "A fold would be mathematically equivalent to a win, since the winner of the hand merely fails to make a forfeit, rather than acquiring a specific profit. Therefore, the logical tactic is always to fold regardless of one's hand."

"There's no folding," Lugmilla told him sternly.

"Then I fail to see the tactical element in the game. Beyond the simple calculation of odds inherent in the 'draw' process, the game essentially becomes one of luck alone."

"Yes, it does, doesn't it?" said the Tellarite innocently, "Sumati, your draw?"

The coffee-skinned human looked at her cards, and discarded two. "Two, please."

"A most curious form," said Varok, "however, I believe I will take three cards."

You had to hand it to him for keeping his Vulcan cool, Edrilli thought to herself. She wondered how long that would continue... assuming, of course, he did not prove lucky.

They went round the table, and then revealed their cards. It was not a bad start for the Vulcan, beating Sumati's pair with three of a kind. Edrilli, of course, didn't have to actually win in order to retain her modesty, but she was none the less pleased to be able to place her own cards down, and reveal three jacks, beating Varok's three twos. On the other hand, the first loss, at least, was going to befall one of her friends.

Hopefully the night wouldn't continue like that. But, she had to reflect, it was a possibility. They had evened the odds up, yes, but that was all. It could be any one of the four who was the first to strip to their underwear, and concede the game.

"Ah, well," said Sumati with a slight grin, after Lugmilla had revealed her hand, "me first, then." She reached down, and pulled off her boots, placing them together at the side of the table.

"That would appear to be two items," pointed out Varok.

"Shoes and socks count as one item each," said Lugmilla, "when you think about it, it's only logical."

The Vulcan tilted his head to one side, and seemed about to say something, before apparently thinking better of it. Presumably, he couldn't see the supposed 'logic'. Serves him right, thought Edrilli, as Lugmilla passed the deck on to Sumati for the next deal.

This time, Lugmilla won with two pairs - queens and nines - with Sumati coming close with two pairs of her own. Indeed, Varok was the only one to fail to develop a hand... a high jack, and nothing more. He made no comment and showed no reaction as he removed his boots, although it was clear that he was becoming somewhat bemused at the game.

He lost the next hand, too; the second in a row. He carefully removed his socks, and tucked them inside his boots, before sitting down again. Edrilli thought she detected a hint of irritation in his manner, but it was hard to tell, and it might just have been her imagination. Still, she knew, from past experience, that, while he would never make an emotional display, there were times when he could act in a way that betrayed the burning emotions underneath - usually involving frustration at the supposed irrationality of others. Perhaps tonight would be such a night, and they would have, at least, a moral victory.

Sumati's socks went next, and Edrilli met the eyes of her Tellarite friend as she passed the deck back to her.

"It's between us at the moment," she said.

"The game has barely started," pointed out Lugmilla, as she shuffled the cards, "but, yes, we'll see."

"And if not," said Sumati, "it might just be a couple of hands before things start to get interesting. Right, Varok?"

The Vulcan raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. Oh, yes, he was the life and soul of the party.

Another hand, and Varok stood up, looking down at his pair of deuces. "I assume that my jacket is the next item to be forfeit?" he said, his voice still as even as ever.

"It's up to you," said Sumati, "but... yeah, that would make sense."

Edrilli smiled as the Vulcan stripped to his short-sleeved vest. It occurred to her that the game was already moving swiftly. Varok was losing; his skill at calculating odds and statistics useless here, and the Bolian herself was still fully dressed. Of course, she realised, if he did lose, the game would still continue. The smile dropped from her face as she realised she might have to strip to her underwear in front of him no matter how well the game went. Please let the cards fall in my, favour, she thought, angry with herself for not really having thought this through.

Sumati dealt out the cards. Edrilli had a pair of tens, which wasn't bad for a start. However, even after her draw, the hand hadn't improved. This might be it, she thought, as Varok turned over a pair of kings. And... yes... Lugmilla had won with three-of-a-kind.

Ah, well, she thought as she stood up, at least it's only my boots. Hardly worth worrying about, and Lugmilla's luck can't last forever, no matter how smug she looks right now. Most importantly, though, Varok was still losing... just two more defeats, and he'd be out.

Two hands later, though, and that was showing no sign of happening. Edrilli dug her bare toes into the carpet as Sumati threw her hands up in mock despair, the grin on her face showing that the human woman was actually quite enjoying this.

"Hey, Varok," she said, "let me show you how it's done."

Edrilli found herself grinning, caught up in the moment as Sumati shrugged the gold-and-black jacket off her shoulders, and struck a sultry pose. With a wriggling motion, the tight sleeveless vest beneath showing the curves of her body, she shucked it off, twirled it around as she moved her hips from side to side, and tossed it casually into the corner of the room.

Varok, of course, didn't react at all, but Edrilli saw that even Lugmilla was smiling to herself. Sumati leaned forward, resting an arm on the table, and waggled a finger at the Tellarite. "Hope you're not going to let the side down when it's your turn," she said, "assuming you ever lose a hand."

"Just you wait," Lugmilla promised, picking up the deck for her next deal.

Two rounds later, and the other two women gave a small cheer as a pair of chunky boots joined the others lying around the table. With that out of the way, though, the Bolian's mind began to turn back to Varok. The Vulcan was beginning to look a little put out, seemingly wanting to object to their emotional behaviour, but seeing no way to bow out of the situation. Finally, he might just be beginning to crack, Edrilli thought, and hoped that the cards might turn against him again, after what had been quite a long lucky streak.

The cards continued to be dealt round the table, the game going much faster than it normally would, especially since none of them really felt inclined to chat with Varok around, as they would have on any other night. At last, though, things began to get interesting.

Edrilli was trying not to show her nerves now that it was becoming clear that things wouldn't last much longer. She glanced across at Varok, as he carefully shuffled the deck, shirtless now, and displaying a smooth, nearly hairless, chest. He was doing well in covering up his discomfort, with no fidgeting, or holding his arms about himself, as members of most other species might. But she could see a small bead of sweat on his forehead, and a flicker of his eyes that indicated he was no longer as in control as he would like.

She could understand that, she thought, pressing her bare legs together beneath the table, feet tapping on the floor as the Vulcan dealt out the next hand. She took the opportunity to surreptitiously pull the hem of her vest down a little further, trying to hide her knickers from view. Although, if she lost even once more, that would all become a little pointless...

But, instead, once all the cards had been turned over, it was Lugmilla who stood up. To Sumati's applause, she tried to imitate the human woman's earlier actions as she removed her jacket. She didn't know what Varok made of it, but Edrilli reflected that, to males of her own race - and, to be honest, most others - the effect would be somewhat spoiled by the Tellarite's ample frame and beefy arms.

But she still joined in the laughter when Lugmilla tossed her uniform jacket across the table, landing it partly across the Vulcan's face. He said nothing as he brushed it aside, but Edrilli could see that he had actually ground his teeth together, straining as hard as he could to maintain his composure in the face of provocation.

"We'll make a dancer of you yet," said Sumati, grinning, and leaning back against her chair.

Despite having lost as many hands as the Bolian, she looked as comfortable as ever. She had even taken the other tack after her last defeat, and so still wore her black uniform trousers. Her plain white bra contrasted against the deep coppery brown of her skin, although it was otherwise nothing sexy... just comfortable, as you would expect under a Starfleet uniform.

The moment of truth, Edrilli reflected, was fast approaching. Come on Varok, she thought, let's see you lose again. Just once more, and we've all beaten you. It would only be justice, after all.

She got three eights after the draw on her next hand. Varok put his own cards down on the table, and all of the others craned to look. Sumati and Lugmilla had a pair each; he had only a high king.

The Vulcan, resigned to his fate, stood once more, calmly undid his trousers and stepped out of them. He wore a close-fitting grey pair of shorts beneath them, Edrilli noted, as he carefully folded up the clothing and placed it next to the remainder of his uniform.

"I believe," he said, looking straight ahead, and refusing to meet their eyes, "that this means my part in the proceedings has now concluded. A curious game, of which I am not sure I see the attraction." And this, Edrilli reflected, he was saying in the company of one woman sitting in bra and trousers, and another wearing little more than a sleeveless vest. "May I enquire as to what happens next? I would assume re-robing and departure is indicated?"

1234567
  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Celebrities & Fan Fiction
  • /
  • Poker Interrupted

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 59 milliseconds