• Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Patient #51

Patient #51

Not even the feeling of cold water landing on his face could have shocked Michael more than this. His grip involuntarily loosened and soon the drops of rain were more than enough to send the paper to the ground.

It was too much to comprehend that he stood there momentarily wondering how ink on paper had changed his mood so suddenly. He bent forward and picked the paper up and, as he did, noticed the signature of the doctor. The black and white colouring of the printed note made it immediately clear that the letter was pre-written. All that was changed and added was a name; his name.

He crumpled the note then jammed it in his pocket. He closed the mailbox then turned and walked forwards. The initial steps were difficult, almost mechanical. The note in his pocket had more weight than it should have as if gravity was pulling on it and him with more force.

As Michael continued walking, a flood of memories rushed back to him. His best friend, his job, and then his wife. Then his child, and the joy of seeing her face full of innocence and joy. A face free of care. It all seemed so surreal.

He wasn't an alcoholic. He even went to church on most Sundays, and today would have followed the same pattern. Everything changed and he realized it didn't matter anymore. God had shown his true colour.

He remembered his wife's last words before she left him. That part of his memory wasn't foggy. "James can give Rebecca a better life than you could ever imagine". As she had spoken before that, Michael had been watching Rebecca try to crawl onto the sofa. He listened half-heartedly although he didn't care. Becca was barely 2 and wasn't old enough to start school. The joy and laughter as she tried to climb onto the chair was enough to drown out the voice of his wife. The memory was clear but he didn't feel the same emotion. He didn't feel any emotion.

James had been Michael's best friend since college. He had helped Michael in a time of crisis when Michael had lost his previous job right after Becca was born. James had helped Michael get a job here, in Philadelphia, or so he thought. It turned out that his wife had been cheating on him and he had remained oblivious until some time ago. He could still remember the look on his face before he quit his job; nothing but a smug smile.

Michael recalled his work which required him to lug around disassembled furniture and some machine repair. The hours were exhausting and the work was tiring yet Michael pushed through. At that moment, his family was all he could think about.

Michael remembered the night he thought the affair had begun. It was a week before Christmas, and the night of the annual work Christmas party. Michael and his wife had both been invited and of course, delightfully accepted. The party had been massive, with decorations, waiters in fancy clothes and a board member had come. Michael walked around and shook hands with familiar faces introducing his wife, Christine, in the process. He asked one of his co-workers why the board member had decided to come and was told that there was an inspection that had to be carried out the day after the party. He asked nothing more and wandered off.

Michael had noticed a short while after that James had been missing and stopped a waiter to ask where he was. The waiter had responded that he was to arrive at 10:30 since he had some extra work leftover at the office. Michael glanced at his watch and realized there was an hour before James would have shown. He looked over to see his wife giggling and talking with the other wives when his phone had rang:

Michael: Hello?

Caller: Michael it's me James. I need you to get to the factory now! The machine's malfunctioned.

Michael: WHAT! What happened?

James: I think Jackson tried to load too much at one time, the idiot, you've got to get here to check it out.

Michael: Alright, I'll be there in 15 minutes.

Michael had rushed over and explained the situation with his wife and then left.

When Michael arrived, James, along with a couple of other workers were frantically running around. He rushed over and pushed through the crowd to get through.

Michael: So what did you guys find out?

James: Nothing, I think there is something stuck in the tape section but I can't get through, its too narrow.

Jackson: I didn't mean too, I thought since it was the last batch it wouldn't matter.

James: You idiot! You've already screwed up everything. Your explanation is no solution. This is the third time something related to you has caused us a problem. Consider yourself, fired! I want you gone tonight!

Jackson: But I-

James: IT DOESN'T MATTER! Just go and get OUT!

Jackson looked at the others and looked down and then turned and left.

Michael: Oh it's definitely the taper. I think it's jammed so a restart's not gonna work.

James: Damnit. How long do you think it's gonna take to fix?

Michael: At least an hour, probably an hour and a half I think. I can fix it tomorrow morning.

James: No Michael. I need you to try to fix it now. The inspector comes in tomorrow morning and we'll all be in shit if it's not working.

Michael: Alright, it's around 11, I should be able to get it done by midnight.

James: Thanks Michael, I owe you one. You can expect a shitload of cash for this one bud. I need you get to the party, I need to talk to the board member.

Michael: Alright, but can you tell my wife what happened? I rushed to get here and left my phone in the car.

James: Alright man don't worry I'll take care of her just try to get this fixed. And listen up. I want you all to stay here and help Michael, you're all part of this.

James turned around and left.

Sometime later, Michael wiped his forehead with his sleeve and looked at the time. It was 1:30. The machine had been fixed and all except for 3 people including himself were remaining. Michael had allowed everyone to leave seeing as they would be of no use. 2 had decided to stay in case he need help. He looked back to see them sitting, smoking and murmuring to each other. He walked towards them and they looked towards him. He told them everything was fixed and all was taken care of and they could go. They nodded, then left. Michael turned off the lights then walked out of the building. He took one last look at the factory then got in his car and drove off.

***

Michael got into his car and turned on his GPS. He set the GPS and the words "Hahnemann University Hospital" flashed on his screen. He turned on his windshield wipers then drove off.

***

When Michael entered the mansion, he looked around to see a few people remaining. Some people were passed out many of whom were waiters. He noticed some workers who had come to the party straight from the factory. He walked into the living room to see about a third of the people left from when he had arrived. He saw James and Christine talking. She looked over to him and Michael thought he remembered seeing her face turn slightly pale when she walked over to him.

Christine: Oh honey, you finally got here. James told me what happened. Are we ready to go now?

James: Michael did you manage to get it fixed?

Michael: Yeah I managed to fix it. You'll be all good for tomorrow. And honey we can go now if you want.

As Michael turned around and walked out with Christine he asked her if she enjoyed herself. He remembered seeing a couple heads turn and maybe some people smirk but didn't pay no mind. She responded that she did.

Michael had gone home that night and slept peacefully well, oblivious to everything that had happened.

***

Michael turned into Broad and Vine Street and drove half a football field's length before he turned into and parked in the hospital parking lot. He sat still for a moment and looked out his window. Many people were trying to avoid the rain and rushed towards their cars or to safety with their hands covering their heads. He turned off then got out of his car and walked towards the entrance of the hospital.

Michael entered the main doors and stopped in front of a billboard with the names of the surgeons and their respective fields with room numbers. He pulled out the crumpled note and re-read it. He noticed the doctor's name then scanned the board. The name DR. VIVEK PATEL was engraved in a dark colour on a light gray background. He looked at the field, then the number and walked towards the elevator.

Michael got out on the third floor and headed straight glancing at the note then back up to the room numbers. He noticed the room number that was on the paper and headed for it. He was about to walk in when a child ran up to him.

Child: Mr, Mr, are you going into that room?

Michael: I was planning to... Why?

Child: My mommy says I was here because of the same reason. She says I'm sick but I feel fine. I brought my favourite car with me to play and my mommy is still in there. Do you want to play?

Michael: Uh, I was planning on going now actually. It's my turn to see the doctor.

Child: PLEASE! I've been waiting forever and I'm bored.

Michael: Why don't you go to the playground? They got slides there. Even more kids to play with.

Child: I was in there but it was boring. The other kids were scared of getting needles so they didn't want to play. They were acting like crybabies.

Michael: So what? Aren't you afraid of needles?

Child: No I get them every week now. I've gotten used to them. I'm not scared of them or ANYTHING anymore.

Michael: Oh yeah? What's your secret?

Child: I'll tell you. My mommy got really sick one day and she went to the doctor. She found out she had this scary disease that was going to make her even sicker. She told me then that the doctor was going to check me out to see if I had it too.

Michael: Then what happened?

Child: The doctor told me I was also going to get sick. If I didn't start taking medicine, I would get sick really fast.

(The child giggled, then laughed)

Michael: What's so funny?

Child: It's just funny that I'm going to die. Don't tell my mommy this but now I can do whatever I want. All I have to do is say "Don't you CARE about me?" Last week I got to eat 3 scoops of ice cream and stay up until 10 watching Scooby doo.

Michael: So why do you take advantage of your mother? She seems like she's trying to help you.

Child: What does vantage mean?

Michael: Why do you lie to your mom when she tries to help you?

Child: I don't do it on purpose! It's just that if I will keep getting sick then I won't have time to do anything later. You tell me how I'm supposed to go bumper kart racing when I'm sick.

Michael: Okay but that doesn't mean you should lie to your mother. She is trying to help you.

Child: You don't understand. Aren't you listening? I'm just going to get sick later so I won't have time to play. I don't CARE what happens to me. If I spend too much time caring I won't be happpppppppyyyyyyyy.

(Child runs off with his arms flailing)

***

Michael walked into the room then headed straight to the counter. He told the woman he was here for his appointment and she responded that the doctor was with another patient but was going to come out in a few minutes. He turned and sat down on one of the seats. A minute later, the room door opened and out walked a short bald man with thick rimmed glasses and a light mustache. He also had a stethoscope wrapped around his neck, and a white coat that seemed a size too big. A woman followed him, sobbing, her eyes covered with her hands.

Doctor: Don't worry Ms. Jenkins, give him the medicine. I have a highly skilled team here so he'll be in great hands but give him hope. He's a strong kid but he'll need you more than he'll need the medicine.

Woman: Thank you doctor... for everything.

The woman still sobbing uncontrollably. Thanked the doctor. She turned and headed out. The doctor said something to the woman at the counter and then walked back into the room. The woman called out a number and Michael walked into the room.

***

Doctor: Well Michael, it seems that you should begin treatment immediately. I recommend you tell your wife about this after because she would probably be experiencing similar symptoms. This infection tends to affect woman much slower than men which is probably why you noticed it first. Why don't you wait here for a minute while I get a nurse to take you to the treatment room?

The nurse came and escorted Michael several minutes later to a different room which was dimly lit with a patient's chair in the center and rays of light focused on it. To the right was a set of screens which seemed to monitor oxygen levels and heartbeat rates along with other things. The nurse handed him a pill and some water.

Nurse: Please take this pill with this water. The doctor will arrive momentarily.

Michael did as was told and he laid back and rested on the seat. A sudden drowsiness overcame him. The doctor walked into the room with a file in his hand and asked Michael if he wanted to stay for the day after or leave in the morning. Michael responded that it didn't matter. The doctor nodded with a trained look of sympathy. He walked over to the monitor and sat on the chair. He pulled up to the desk and spoke into a mic. Michael remembered the last words of the child as he slowly closed his eyes.

It didn't matter what happened later...if he spent too much time caring...

Doctor: Patient #51 HIV Vaccination treatment. Date 10/12/05

...He would never be happy...

Doctor: Test 1

Michael fell into a state of unconsciousness.

************************

  • Index
  • /
  • Home
  • /
  • Stories Hub
  • /
  • Non-Erotic
  • /
  • Patient #51

All contents © Copyright 1996-2023. Literotica is a registered trademark.

Desktop versionT.O.S.PrivacyReport a ProblemSupport

Version ⁨1.0.2+795cd7d.adb84bd⁩

We are testing a new version of this page. It was made in 50 milliseconds